Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Critter living under hood

Old 09-02-2008, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Critter living under hood

We went to our cabin this weekend in the mountains of CO. And it looks like we brought a hitchhiker home with us! So I went to check the oil in my truck today, and there was a nest made from the insulation under the hood sitting on one of the battery's. I saw the critter (chipmunk, squirrel) but I could not tell what it was. So I grabbed the hose and started squirting it with water. I did not see him run off, but I can't see it anymore in the area it was. If I did not get rid of it, does anybody have any suggestions on how to get rid of it?
Thanks in advance.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:17 PM
Banned

put a cat under the hood,,,,,, see post tomorrow for suggested dogs small enough to fit under hood to get rid of cat...... see post day after on animals small enough to fit under hood , but ornry enough to remove dog.... see post............
Old 09-02-2008, 07:57 PM

What will work is laundry softner sheets, they will keep critters away, and cheap.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:27 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

dodchall70: For me they have always run off at the first stop after vehicle was run for awhile. Your squirrel may be related to http://www.dangersquirrel.com/
mikmaze:
Smkndzl: My truck is parked in Vacaville part of the year (pretty close to you). The engine compartment always has a bunch of walnuts in it when I pick it up.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:40 PM

Mothballs work also.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:20 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Be sure to get that squirrel out of there for good!

When I bought my 1st gen it had been inhabited by a squirrel and he had eaten the wiring insulation and even cut some copper strands. There was bare copper showing all over the place under the hood I ended up carefully taping it all back together, splicing and inspecting wires. What a pain.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:35 AM
DTR'S Chaplain

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had chimpmonks build nests in my air filter housing twice... Must have been a noisy ride.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by ramlovingvet View Post
I had chimpmonks build nests in my air filter housing twice... Must have been a noisy ride.

And windy.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:14 AM
DTR'S Chaplain

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
And windy.
Sort of like the politics forum
Old 09-03-2008, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
Be sure to get that squirrel out of there for good!

When I bought my 1st gen it had been inhabited by a squirrel and he had eaten the wiring insulation and even cut some copper strands. There was bare copper showing all over the place under the hood I ended up carefully taping it all back together, splicing and inspecting wires. What a pain.
Yeah, that is what I am afraid of. Thanks for all of your suggestions. I checked this morning before I left for work and I did not see any signs of it. I think I will try the laundry softner sheets or the mothballs just to make sure it is gone.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by ramlovingvet View Post
Sort of like the politics forum
You said it brother. Whew, I'm exhausted! Got to go to work.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by mikmaze View Post
put a cat under the hood,,,,,, see post tomorrow for suggested dogs small enough to fit under hood to get rid of cat...... see post day after on animals small enough to fit under hood , but ornry enough to remove dog.... see post............
I would advise against the cat .... one of our barn cats climbed up under the hood of Mrs. Pistol's Yukon and took a big ol' healthy dump on the computer box. It took me a long time to get her to check the darn oil level in her car in the first place... and then for her to pop the hood only to find a "fresh steamer" waiting for her .

Cheers,
PISTOL
Old 09-03-2008, 06:35 PM
ELE

worst case scenario, invite the mother in law over
Old 09-03-2008, 06:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It was a pack rat, we get them all the time out in the bush hunting and fishing up here, they ususally bail out when you start driving, even had one try and build a nest one time between the camper and inside truck box, they do like under the hood though.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:37 PM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

I was gonna suggest a boa constrictor.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Critter living under hood

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.