Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Other (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/other-94/)
-   -   Critter living under hood (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/other-94/critter-living-under-hood-216033/)

dodchall70 09-02-2008 07:12 PM

Critter living under hood

We went to our cabin this weekend in the mountains of CO. And it looks like we brought a hitchhiker home with us! So I went to check the oil in my truck today, and there was a nest made from the insulation under the hood sitting on one of the battery's. I saw the critter (chipmunk, squirrel) but I could not tell what it was. So I grabbed the hose and started squirting it with water. I did not see him run off, but I can't see it anymore in the area it was. If I did not get rid of it, does anybody have any suggestions on how to get rid of it?
Thanks in advance.

mikmaze 09-02-2008 07:17 PM

put a cat under the hood,,,,,, see post tomorrow for suggested dogs small enough to fit under hood to get rid of cat...... see post day after on animals small enough to fit under hood , but ornry enough to remove dog.... see post............

Smkndzl 09-02-2008 07:57 PM

What will work is laundry softner sheets, they will keep critters away, and cheap.

Bark 09-02-2008 09:27 PM

dodchall70: For me they have always run off at the first stop after vehicle was run for awhile. Your squirrel may be related to http://www.dangersquirrel.com/
mikmaze:[laugh]
Smkndzl: My truck is parked in Vacaville part of the year (pretty close to you). The engine compartment always has a bunch of walnuts in it when I pick it up.

davemac 09-02-2008 10:40 PM

Mothballs work also.

Raspy 09-02-2008 11:20 PM

Be sure to get that squirrel out of there for good!

When I bought my 1st gen it had been inhabited by a squirrel and he had eaten the wiring insulation and even cut some copper strands. There was bare copper showing all over the place under the hood :o I ended up carefully taping it all back together, splicing and inspecting wires. What a pain.

ramlovingvet 09-03-2008 12:35 AM

I had chimpmonks build nests in my air filter housing twice... Must have been a noisy ride.

Raspy 09-03-2008 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by ramlovingvet (Post 2197347)
I had chimpmonks build nests in my air filter housing twice... Must have been a noisy ride.

And windy. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

ramlovingvet 09-03-2008 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by Raspy (Post 2197351)
And windy. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

Sort of like the politics forum [roll]

dodchall70 09-03-2008 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Raspy (Post 2197301)
Be sure to get that squirrel out of there for good!

When I bought my 1st gen it had been inhabited by a squirrel and he had eaten the wiring insulation and even cut some copper strands. There was bare copper showing all over the place under the hood :o I ended up carefully taping it all back together, splicing and inspecting wires. What a pain.

Yeah, that is what I am afraid of. Thanks for all of your suggestions. I checked this morning before I left for work and I did not see any signs of it. I think I will try the laundry softner sheets or the mothballs just to make sure it is gone.

Raspy 09-03-2008 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by ramlovingvet (Post 2197356)
Sort of like the politics forum [roll]

You said it brother. Whew, I'm exhausted! Got to go to work. [guitar]

PistolWhipt 09-03-2008 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by mikmaze (Post 2196965)
put a cat under the hood,,,,,, see post tomorrow for suggested dogs small enough to fit under hood to get rid of cat...... see post day after on animals small enough to fit under hood , but ornry enough to remove dog.... see post............

I would advise against the cat .... one of our barn cats climbed up under the hood of Mrs. Pistol's Yukon and took a big ol' healthy dump on the computer box. It took me a long time to get her to check the darn oil level in her car in the first place... and then for her to pop the hood only to find a "fresh steamer" waiting for her [verymad][verymad].

Cheers,
PISTOL

ELE 09-03-2008 06:35 PM

worst case scenario, invite the mother in law over

Fiftygrit 09-03-2008 06:36 PM

It was a pack rat, we get them all the time out in the bush hunting and fishing up here, they ususally bail out when you start driving, even had one try and build a nest one time between the camper and inside truck box, they do like under the hood though.

Redleg 09-03-2008 06:37 PM

I was gonna suggest a boa constrictor.