Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

CompTIA A+

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 06:57 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CompTIA A+

Has anyone taken an online course to get their A+ certification? I'm thinking about doing it, but not sure which is a good one.
Old 01-29-2011, 01:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My advice is don't.

There are quite a few labs you'll need to do, and the hands on is what you will benefit from to help you pass the two tests.

If you can find the part time 6 week class then take it, and as soon as you complete the first half take the test for it, then the second test when you complete the second half.

Kris
Old 01-29-2011, 07:08 AM
Chapter President

Thanks Kris.

I've built several computers and do all the "tech support" for family and friends, but will need the A+ cert to get a part time job.

I guess I'll wait and sign up for the next course at the local JC. I'm sure I'll be the oldest one in the class.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:36 AM

No prob, glad I could help.

The "software" side of the course covers everything from MS-DOS and Windows 3.1 through Vista, and this is the biggest PITA part of the class.

The hardware side is much easier of the two, especially if you've got some custom building experience, but you'll also need to cover IRQ's, northbridge/southbridge, bus speeds and data rates, etc..

Kris
Old 01-29-2011, 10:37 AM
Chapter President

I'll have to brush up on my DOS. It was the only operating system my first PC had. And, I still have a set of Windows 3.1 floppy's around here somewhere.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Depends on what you want to do and who is hiring. Certs help on a resume... especially around here.

Mac
MS MIS, PMP, MCSE
Old 01-31-2011, 11:39 AM
Chapter President

I'm just going to try and find some part time work rebuilding and repairing PC's. SS is not paying too well and I need a little something to offset the price of diesel, bread and utilities.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by macattack_ga
Depends on what you want to do and who is hiring. Certs help on a resume... especially around here.

Mac
MS MIS, PMP, MCSE
Agreed, and the interview will prove whether or not you know it. We interview people weekly that have whatever cert and find that most only have a piece of paper and no working knowledge about the product. A+ wasn't a very hard certification, and if it's required then get it. If it's not required put the tag in your resume with an anticipated completion date or put on that you have a+ level experience.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 93-331-29psi
Agreed, and the interview will prove whether or not you know it. We interview people weekly that have whatever cert and find that most only have a piece of paper and no working knowledge about the product. A+ wasn't a very hard certification, and if it's required then get it. If it's not required put the tag in your resume with an anticipated completion date or put on that you have a+ level experience.
tag in your resume with an anticipated completion date = good advise

Originally Posted by crobtex
I'm just going to try and find some part time work rebuilding and repairing PC's. SS is not paying too well and I need a little something to offset the price of diesel, bread and utilities.
you probably don't need the cert...
Old 01-31-2011, 02:51 PM
Chapter President

"Resume"!

I retired 11 years ago from a job I worked at for nearly 35 years. I haven't had resume for 46 years.