Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Other (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/other-94/)
-   -   clothes dryer gas or electric? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/other-94/clothes-dryer-gas-electric-39086/)

Mostwanted 02-11-2004 10:03 PM

clothes dryer gas or electric?

Our recently purchased home has a gas hookup for the dryer. We currently don't own a dryer (supplied with our rent) so I am trying to decied if I want to run a 220V outlet or buy a gas dryer. Either way will cost me about the same, so I am looking at the effeciancy of each and see what I will save in the long run. Any help is welcome

jrs_dodge_diesel 02-11-2004 10:23 PM

I would go gas. The as far as efficiency goes, gas beats electric hands down. With a gas dyer all you need electricity for is to run the motor. Thus saving on your electricity bill. If you look at other apliances than can run either, like a water heater, the gas water heater is much more efficient and heats the water faster than can an electric. I reccomend the gas.

ten8fiftyone 02-11-2004 10:35 PM

Gas, definitely:)

Haulin_in_Dixie 02-11-2004 11:10 PM

Gas for sure, you will love it.

Dr. Evil 02-11-2004 11:14 PM

another vote for gas......

BigBlue 02-12-2004 12:58 AM

Gas. Everything in our house is gas. Stove, oven, water heaters, dryers. Everything. I love it.

JKE 02-12-2004 04:47 AM

[deadhors] [laugh] like everyone else said....get the gas...

Shovelhead 02-12-2004 05:40 AM

Gas,....only 'cuz I can't find a diesel-powered one.[laugh]

Commatoze 02-12-2004 06:17 AM

Gaz, hands down.

amartinson 02-12-2004 06:20 AM

Definately GAS. Costs less to operate and lasts forever.

Palmetto_kid 02-12-2004 07:10 AM

I live in a rent house, and had to buy a new dryer/washer. I went with whirlpool in electric. I had the option of a gas or electric. The gas line was rusted out (I had to remove), so I went with electric. It gets the job done.

A good friend of mine rebuilds refrigerators/washers/dryers. He says maytag are a pain in the butt to work on.

Buy what you like. I paid 100 dollars extra at sears and got a 5 year, no questions asked, warranty with my Whirlpool from Sears. I know dryers usually outlast washers, so thats I got the warranty on the washer only. If it peters out for any reason in five years, they will replace it (if they cant fix it.)

good luck.
Phillip

oh yeah.....I would go gas. :D

spots 02-12-2004 07:38 AM

Gas. Used ones are cheap, and they last almost forever.

bigern24 02-12-2004 07:39 AM

I would go electric.... (duck) you guys aren't going to throw stuff at me are you? I get soaked in various type of fuels from time to time and gas dryers are very dangerous for drying clothes that have been immersed in fuels. We get warned about it all the time at work, someone will ignore it and burn there house down.

Plus around here the way gas prices have steadily rose over the years it's not much cheaper any more.

That being said, gas dryers have a great rep and I'm sure you'd be happy with it. I'll duck out of this one before I get hammered with tomatos!

Tartarus 02-12-2004 10:23 AM

Well, bigern24, I'm glad you said it before I did -- gas is great, gets clothes dry faster, but don't -ever- dry clothing that has been soaked or spotted with fuel or oil in them. Boom. Seen it happen twice to neighbors over the years.

Electric is safer, IMO. Cheaper, too, in -certain- areas of the country, given different pricing schemas, and more efficient appliances.

Running. . . .

bigern24 02-12-2004 11:00 AM

follow me Tartarus! remember monty python... Run Away!! Run Away!!!