Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Cheap quick easy free way to check GPS speed against speedometer for tires/gears

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 06:02 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cheap quick easy free way to check GPS speed against speedometer for tires/gears

Waze, not a big fan, its hard to operate (mine will only accept the spoken destination about 1 out of 10 times)

it announces upcoming police and construction, and you can thumb UP or DOWN if you see the cop/road work

the cool part is you can see which cars on the road have Waze running.

I was getting horrible MPG in my truck, and come to find out, my speedo was 7 under my real MPH, so if I had cruise set on 75mph, i was running 82mph, and that prolly kills your MPG in a CTD

it's worth downloading just to check all your vehicles whenever you change out tires or anything.

Waze is the world's largest community-based traffic and navigation app. Join other drivers in your area who share real-time traffic and road info, saving everyone time and gas money on their daily commute

https://www.waze.com/

https://www.waze.com/en-GB/download/
Attached Thumbnails Cheap quick easy free way to check GPS speed against speedometer for tires/gears-waze-gps-speed.png  
Old 04-13-2018, 03:24 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I love Waze. Since I have a phone mount in my truck, I pretty well have Waze running anytime I'm headed anywhere. Even if I know exactly where I'm headed, it's saved me more than a few times giving me a heads up about traffic and routed me around it.

It's also nice in that it's a user-driven application. Any Waze user can be a map editor and there is a huge group of individuals that spend time keeping the maps up to date. I've found that more often than not, the Waze maps exactly match new road layouts due to construction within a day (depending on the last map refresh).
The following users liked this post:
04ctd (04-13-2018)
Old 04-13-2018, 03:54 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
good deal, maybe i will try it more.

how do you get the screen to rotate? I don't have a phone mount, so i drop it in the Geno's cupholder,
and with the charging in the bottom, it goes in upside down, and WAZE stays upside down.

Google Maps auto rotates, so it works in the cup holder.
Old 04-13-2018, 05:04 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
I use the GPS test app on android, it does mothing but show you the raw output of the GPS.
You need to be on a straight line to measure speed.
Another way to check is with a stopwatch and mile markers- one mile a minute is 60mph.
Old 04-14-2018, 11:49 AM

Received 414 Likes on 316 Posts
Originally Posted by AlpineRAM
Another way to check is with a stopwatch and mile markers- one mile a minute is 60mph.
You can't rely on those mile markers as being accurate unless they have been set up and designated as mileage check sights.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:24 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
Never tried to use Waze, nor had the need to. I have a Garmin system with a 7" screen that I can move from vehicle to vehicle and have used it in 4 countries so far. The maps are updated twice a year. This system gives me continuous actual speed, the posted speed limit for that stretch of road, any road construction etc and then also provides suggested detours around the obstacles and the estimated time saved by using the detour. Have always used the suggestions and so far with zero problems. Love the feature that shows restaurants, gas stations etc
Old 04-15-2018, 12:20 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
Originally Posted by cougar
You can't rely on those mile markers as being accurate unless they have been set up and designated as mileage check sights.
Over here the markers must be placed within a tolerance of less than 1 meter.
I usually use 10 kilometers and therefore get within 0.01%, not regarding the inaccuracy of me pressing the button.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:20 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 04ctd
good deal, maybe i will try it more.

how do you get the screen to rotate? I don't have a phone mount, so i drop it in the Geno's cupholder,
and with the charging in the bottom, it goes in upside down, and WAZE stays upside down.

Google Maps auto rotates, so it works in the cup holder.
On my iPhone, it auto-rotates whenever I turn the phone. On my mount, I always use it upright as I have the map oriented to direction of travel as up (instead of North up). I'll have to look if they have a setting to lock rotation separate from the phone.
Old 04-20-2018, 11:14 AM

Received 414 Likes on 316 Posts
Originally Posted by Mexstan
Never tried to use Waze, nor had the need to. I have a Garmin system with a 7" screen that I can move from vehicle to vehicle and have used it in 4 countries so far. The maps are updated twice a year. This system gives me continuous actual speed, the posted speed limit for that stretch of road, any road construction etc and then also provides suggested detours around the obstacles and the estimated time saved by using the detour. Have always used the suggestions and so far with zero problems. Love the feature that shows restaurants, gas stations etc
Same here. I bought it for the maps, but the speed read out comes in handy.