Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Catalua Cow Dog

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 10:20 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Catalua Cow Dog

Anyone have experience with this breed? We found one as an 8 wk old pup. She is now 7 months old. Smart as a whip, stubborn as a mule. She is becoming quite the challenge. She is a lover. However, she digs. She destroys anything you have left out. She knows she has been bad as soon as you look at a hole she has dug, but she keeps digging them. She ignores bitter apple and other bitter products sprayed on the water hose which she loves to play with. She also ignores any anti-digging product that we use.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Folks had one. Not like my healers at all. Those catahoulas need work and they need it always. They like to get the crap worked out of them or they get destructive. I had a border collie that loved to chew stuff when she wasn't working and there was nothing I could do to stop her from it. I eventually gave her to a guy who needed a hard working dog not just a part timer. lol She excelled for him and according to him was a fantastic dog.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:57 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
LOL... Bad Dog syndrome.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:29 PM
DTR Mom

Hey!
I corrected a bad behavior from boredom with a neighbor's dog, same way - aussie cattle dog.

it seemed the gals were worse than the guys, but this one was smart enough to see what the stupid humans were doing for it and learned to adapt.

one sand, clay, loam dirt pile in a ribboned area with chew toys.
one zoo 'handler' ball with a grab handle. this is a composite working animal toy that they can roll and nudge, grab and toss, chew or herd. it is about 14-20 inches in diameter and cost a bit high at 100 bucks.
one toy pool, plastic if no kiddies are involved.....

we have a very rural area so this may not work in the suburbs...but it did stop the behavior of digging, aggressive moves towards visitors, barking then running and jumping at the door. took about two weeks of three times a day
modification training. like an investment, sometimes a little time is needed up front for years of worry free behaviors...good luck and much patience to ya!
Old 10-20-2011, 01:24 PM
Banned

At least she is ridding my place of ground squirrels. Plays havoc on the Dove also.....She buries any toy you give her.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:20 PM

I had a lab that used to love to chew up anything left in the yard....garden hoses especially. I started dosing everything down with tabasco sauce. After a few attempts with the "juice" on it, the chewing stopped. As far as the digging, try a shock collar and sit inside and watch her. When she starts digging, give her a little jolt. That too should stop fairly quickly. Like it has been said, cats are work horse dogs and she is probably venting her boredom out.

Gary
Old 10-20-2011, 11:27 PM
Banned

I walk her about 2-4 miles per day (depending on how I feel), then I either throw a ball or Frisbee that she fetches. I only have horses for stock, so I don't want her messing with them.
Oh, she loves chips with hot salsa (hotter than tobacco gets close to). Skunk spray doesn't faze her either........she is one tough pup.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:59 PM

I just snapped that u live in NM. She probably grew up on fetching peppers in her wiening days....

Gary
Old 10-21-2011, 06:18 PM
Banned

Yeah, my wife found her in San Antonio, but she grew up here on boarder food. Chilies are raised in the field next to us.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:12 PM

I wouldnt say that it is a catahoula breed problem. My two are fine. No issues. I raised them both, trained them both. they are a high energy breed and some can be a handfull, but what dog cant.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:14 PM
Banned

My neighbor said he had two on his ranch in CO. one was great, and one was a terror. The Vet told us what she looks like, but I'm sure there is some mix in her......she came from a part of town where there are a lot of "fighting" type dogs running loose.