Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Building condensation problems?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 12:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Building condensation problems?

Sorry for the length but Im tryin to correct a issue I have here. I built a 16'X8' wood building on skids to store my bikes in and other junk. its 2x4 construction with a asphalt shingle roof and the sides are 3/8 thick cheapo plywood siding thats been treated several times with waterproofer. The floor is OSB on 4x4s. I have 2, 12"x8" vents on the bottom that are in the shaded side, and on the top of the sun side wall there are around 15 1" holes for air circulation. This thing sits on the dirt also. My problem is when we have a cold and rain spell the interior temp obviously drops. Then as it was today it got pretty warm and the sun beats on this thing first thing so the temp change is causing massive condensation problems inside. I opened the door today to get the scoots out and both look like someone took a spray bottle and misted them. The engine cases and fuel tank are soaked and I imagine the inside looks the same. This is killing our bikes chrome and everything else.
I hate to put a heater in there, the power bill will kill us, thought about a dehumidifier? never used one, hows power comsumption. Will drywalling and insulating inside fix it? Vapor barrier? How bout just a roof ventalator. Any ideas will be appricated.
Old 12-12-2004, 03:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You don't have proper ventilation. Your structure is to air tite, you will need to vent the roof. Do you have a flat roof or a rafter/trusses pitched/peaked roof? If a peaked roof, a ridge vent is probably what you need. And that would mean cutting and shinglling, but would probably be your best bet in the long run. There is a formula for roof venting, which I have forgotten. Call a roofing supply house, they will let you know how many square feet of venting you need. If it is a flat roof, a circulating wind power vent, forget the technical name. But a couple of those should do the trick. Call the roofing supply store on monday, or do a google search on roof venting.

Mike
Old 12-12-2004, 05:40 AM
Chapter President

I also keep custom motorcycles in a storage shed.....you need a power vent....I have 2 small power vents at each end of my roof walls to keep the air moving inside the shed

I also keep one bike in a trailer that has no vents with this one I keep a dehumidifier running because humidly will cause rust on chrome and dull polished parts
Old 12-12-2004, 09:24 AM

Thanks guys, I was thinking about the roof ventalators also or some type of powered fan. the roof is flat BTW, so installing some vents will be easy. Gonna check on fans and a thermo setup.
Old 12-12-2004, 11:57 AM

usually codes say you need three 1 1/2" holes between each rafter for soffit venting. You don't have to insulate or sheetrock it. The other guys told you some good stuff.
Old 12-12-2004, 12:35 PM

Don't know much about the soil on the left coast, but around here a heavy sheet of plastic underneath will eliminate a lot moisture being sucked out of the ground by the sun.I always put it underneath stored campers and it reduces the moisture almost entirely. It is almost a standard building practice under concrete also. I think this along with some aggressive ventilation will solve most of your problem. I would do it ASAP before it ruins your expensive equipment and bikes..........
Old 12-12-2004, 07:29 PM

That thought entered my mind also. I figured if I put some plastic down on the floor as a vapor barrier then of course Id have to cover that with some NICE carpet for the scoots to rest on.
Old 12-12-2004, 08:16 PM

What! I thought all Harleys are kept in the living room, especially since they don't leak oil anymore Just kidding, but I would get the heaviest plastic available and make sure it covers beyond the perimeter of the building so the moisture escapes outside the edges. Some type of ventilation would help also........
Old 12-12-2004, 11:30 PM

The misses wouldent have any part of it in the house. I tried for months. even bought her a bike to try to convince her. BTY, mine still leaks, what good is it if it dont mark where its been?