Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Breaker box full, how do you add?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Breaker box full, how do you add?

I have a Square D box, 4 dual pole breakers and 22 singles. It is full to the max.
How do I get one more dual pole out of it without extensive work?

One of the 220's is turned off 350 days a year (hot water heater). Can I join into it and run a welder and the hot water heater at the same time?
Only welding one day every 3 months.

Thanks.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:29 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
I am not an electrician, but I did drive past a Holiday Inn last night

I would run that welder off it's own circuit if it were me. One way to free up space in a box is to replace a single breaker with a newer double breaker, it takes the same space as a single but will handle 2 lines.

I used a couple on the light circuits in my home, (low load circuits) and left the heavy amp stuff on the larger breakers. Depends on your box as to what is available that would work for you, but I found what I needed in a few minutes at Lowes.

I have some background training in Electronics and I am real comfortable with Electrical so not a problem for me at all. Just be sure to not go over the rated capabilities of your exisiting box.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:33 PM

New Breaker

Good deal, I will go find some of these new things.

Thanks for the info.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:35 PM
Banned

Yea, what Lary said. Not that he is right, He just guessed correctly this time.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:56 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
If the incoming wires are a large enough diameter (wire gauge), why not just tap into them and add a new breaker box?
Old 02-16-2006, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Mexstan
If the incoming wires are a large enough diameter (wire gauge), why not just tap into them and add a new breaker box?
Cause that equates to, too much work! I know it is the right way, well until Top advised on the 'new' way.

Doesn' that sound much easier.
Old 02-16-2006, 03:01 PM

Before you do anything you need to check the rating on the panel itself. If you have a 100 amp panel it isn't advised to run 250 amps off of it. Ask yourself if it is worth having a fire claim denied by your insurance company.
Old 02-16-2006, 03:30 PM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Your best bet would most likely putting in a sub panel for your big load items. Not worth exceeding the spec of your current panel.
Old 02-16-2006, 04:07 PM

Which type sqD? QO? homeline?

You should be able to pull 4 standard single pole breakers and replace them with 2 mini or thinline double single pole breakers leaving you room for a standard double pole for that welder.

Shut the main off before starting work..
Old 02-16-2006, 04:50 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by electrifried
Why???
Old 02-16-2006, 05:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mexstan
Why???
Tapping fingers, waiting for Shovelhead to answer with a .jpg...
Old 02-16-2006, 05:29 PM
Chapter President

You should be able to pull 4 standard single pole breakers and replace them with 2 mini or thinline double single pole breakers leaving you room for a standard double pole for that welder.

Thats the ticket I would prefer doing this to a 200 amp panel though.
Old 02-16-2006, 05:48 PM

Do the math guys. 30 spaces used. That would mean unless someone special ordered the box, it is at least a 150 amp. 150a boxes are not very common, which leads me to believe it is a 200.

The number and size of breakers in a box will not mean fire if the box has a main. The main overcurrent device is sized to protect that box.

With 30 spaces in the box there has to be a main because of the 6 switch rule on a incomming service.

If it is a main lug panel and not protected upstream it would be time to get out the hot dogs and wiene sticks
Old 02-16-2006, 06:25 PM
Chapter President

Do the math guys. 30 spaces used. That would mean unless someone special ordered the box, it is at least a 150 amp. 150a boxes are not very common, which leads me to believe it is a 200.

The number and size of breakers in a box will not mean fire if the box has a main. The main overcurrent device is sized to protect that box.

With 30 spaces in the box there has to be a main because of the 6 switch rule on a incomming service.

If it is a main lug panel and not protected upstream it would be time to get out the hot dogs and wiene sticks

I did do the math, Im not worried about a fire just the problem of tripping the main. Without seeing the box and what size breakers are in it, it is hard to say whats OK.
Old 02-16-2006, 07:12 PM

I would definatly go with the piggy-back style breaker, but make sure that you have a 200A service. I work in heavy/commercial Electrical Field and no matter the upstream protection-------safety first !!!

And by the way it sounds you will be using it, not a problem!

Quick Reply: Breaker box full, how do you add?