Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.
View Poll Results: Which brand do you see the most frequently on the side of the road?
General Motors
38.71%
Ford
51.61%
Chrysler
0%
Honda
3.23%
Toyota
3.23%
Other
3.23%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Brands frequenting the roadside.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Brands frequenting the roadside.

Well I spent a couple weeks in Florida here a couple weeks ago, just for humor sake (19 consecutive hours in the car each way, have to do something) I counted the vehicles which broke down on the side of the road. On the way down I counted 15 GM products, 8 Fords, and 3 Chrysler. I didn't really count them on the way back but the results were the same, GM products were double the Ford which were more than double the Chrysler. I had to rub this in for my dad since he works at GM and owns all GM where as I have serveral diamler chrysler products, he claims it is because GM has more of a marketshare which I surely couldn't believe. Anyway was this a fluke that there are so many more GM products on the roadside than Pherds or Chryslers? What brand do you see the most frequent on the side of the road?
Old 01-23-2005, 10:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, guess what dad is definitely at least partly right......

Since GM has a bigger marketshare than Chryseler, obvioulsy the odds of GM breakdowns are that much proprtiantely greater than seeing a broke down Chrysler.......

Not saying who's better, but in the interest of your poll you have to take into account the statistical data.
Old 01-23-2005, 10:57 PM

I agreed that GM had more but asked him if he really thought they had 5X Chrysler.
Old 01-24-2005, 03:09 PM

I sure see alot of Super Dutys on the side of the road with the hood up, almost always have a trailer of some flavor behind them. GM rarely, don't think I've seen one of the Dodges yet. I only pay attention to the newer ones, figure the older ones may have been being neglected for years, who know what the deal is with them. Biggest personal junker was a '96 Pontiac Sunfire. Thing never failed to break when I could least afford it. In less than 100k, it ate: a motor, tranny, airbag sensor twice, ecm, and of course your usual maintenance stuff. Had that junk 2.2 I4 in it. I'm to where if it isn't a 4.3, 5.7, 3.8, or 2.5, I tell people to run the other way on GM's.
Old 01-24-2005, 03:41 PM

On this recent trip to the Keys to deliver a boat, I spotted six F*rds and two GMC's and that was just in Fla! Must be that good Shell fuel... On the whole trip, I only saw two more GMC's another F*rd, and two Fleetwood rvs. Not one disabled Dodge, Toyota or Nissan.
Old 01-24-2005, 05:11 PM
Banned

I see mostly GM's, but that may be because there's more old, beat up GM's around, whereas the Fords kind of disintigrate afer 100,000 miles.

And who's the guy that answered Toyota? I don't think I've ever seen a Toy broken on the road. (With the exception of the ones that obviosly have 500,000 miles on them...)
Old 01-24-2005, 05:32 PM

I seen 1 or 2 Toyotas on the roadside during the trip.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:12 PM

We bought five new Ford 1 ton cab and chassis last spring and had them fitted with dump bodies and plows. All have less than 2000 miles and currently FOUR of them are at the dealer waiting for tranny work. All have the same symptoms and the dealer even mentioned there may be a possible RECALL on Ford Super Dutys for the same tranny problem.

And yet, Dodge has not produced a 1 ton cab and chassis for the last 2-3 years and our dealer says they not in the future either.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:21 PM

I heard around here that in the next couple years they'll be releasing a 4500 version, I'd think eventually box delete should be an option.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:00 PM

I think the Dodge/Cummins seems to handle crappy fuel better than the others. I've been lucky and haven't had an issue with fuel. (I change the filter religously though)
Everyone I know seems to have fuel issues and bunged injectors with the Powerjoke.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:40 PM

Originally posted by BoostdCTD
I heard around here that in the next couple years they'll be releasing a 4500 version, I'd think eventually box delete should be an option.

The rumors of a 4500 and a 5500 have been floating around for a couple of years now. Unfortunately, even that is not a good replacement for a 1 ton. If you have ever priced out the difference between a F350 and a F450, it is a considerable amount. We don't need the extra capacity at work to justify the extra cost.

Also, there is more to a cab and chassis than just removing the box. The frames and parts of the suspension are also different in order to accept aftermarket utility bodies (dumps, cubes, service boxes, etc.).
Old 01-24-2005, 08:59 PM

Originally posted by amartinson
Also, there is more to a cab and chassis than just removing the box. The frames and parts of the suspension are also different in order to accept aftermarket utility bodies (dumps, cubes, service boxes, etc.).
That I didn't know, but I guess it makes sense.
Old 01-24-2005, 09:48 PM

I must also concur with the results, though they are skewed by the large market encompassed by GM. Buick, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Cadillac, Chevrolet, & GMC. Makes for many, many possible breakdowns. How many Caddies have we seen stranded? Not many. Buicks? Few. Olds? Lots. Chevys? Plenty. Pontiacs? About the same as Chevys. As a whole, more GM. As seperates? Maybe Chevy or Olds in my area. I must say there have been plenty of K-car type Chrysler products sitting by the road, but as previously mentioned, all are pretty old by now, mostly neglected. Lose a timing belt and you lose a lot!!
Old 01-24-2005, 09:55 PM

hahaha

nope

In highschool I had a K-car for a winter beater.

Lost the timing belt on the puppy.
No dammage.

put a new belt on it and away you go.

O.k

Think how many NEons you see on the side of the road???

Absolutely garbage car.
Old 01-24-2005, 10:05 PM

Originally posted by tool
hahaha

nope

In highschool I had a K-car for a winter beater.

Lost the timing belt on the puppy.
No dammage.

put a new belt on it and away you go.

O.k

Think how many NEons you see on the side of the road???

Absolutely garbage car.
Which engine? I lost one on a 3.0 and grenaded the valve train. My 2.2 had no trouble, even though AutoZone had it listed as an interference engine. Go Figure. Never broke a belt on the 2.5's I've had, but got one in trade once that was all fouled up (long story.... )

I really haven't seen many Neons broken down in my area, but I know they are useless in much snow. Very low clearance, lightweight, and poor traction = high centered on a snow drift. Had a turkey dating my sister-in-law who destroyed two engines in his Neon. Absolute moron that shouldn't be allowed near an automobile.

Quick Reply: Brands frequenting the roadside.