Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Blasted Power Company [verymad]

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 10:06 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Blasted Power Company [verymad]

Spent 3 out of the last 5 days without power due to a big storm that came through Wednesday, still lots of people without power around here. They have been working steadily and my power goes on and off several times a day as they keep switching and trying to work around the bad spots.

This morning the power goes off and about 45 mins later it comes on with a big BANG. My track lights in my Office have fluorescent bulbs in them and when you first turn them on they are dim, it takes about 3 to 4 minutes before they get bright. When the power came on they flashed to INSTANT BRIGHT

Seems the Power company hit me with a HUGE spike and luckily all the TV's Computers etc are on surge suppressor power supplies......Unfortunately my side by side fridge/freezer was not and it just cost me $2400.00 to replace it

I know there is no way I can prove it or get any help with it from the Power Company but it sure nuff chaps my behind to say the least
Old 01-31-2011, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Out of curious, did you try calling them to see if they will help you out at all, never hurts to ask, more them likely you are not the only to get hit by the spike, and others more then likely called about damaged electrical products.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:16 PM
DTR Mom

actually, you can. consumer protection dept in your state on utility companies, and talk with your neighbor/s. even the grade reading can be FOIA'ed from the electric company.

your insurance agency will be instrumental in this as well. the one document they need is the 'service range work order' for your area and the affected times and dates. there is a meter read time, that shows a surge like a big cardiac spike shows a doctor a problem.

probably the one you had early, it sounds.

hope that helps...
Old 01-31-2011, 11:09 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
From what I see at work call insurance company before anyone. As an electrician I have seen some funky stuff happen when trees or limbs rip down wires. Just loosing the neutral to you service can cook most of the electronics in the house if the situation is right, i.e. relying on your water service as the return conductor.

I've changed 16 home electrical services this winter alone, and we're getting all that's left of that nasty cross country storm. But if you have any problems with the power in your house call an electrician, there is always a chance of isolated problems with YOUR service.

For instance, about a month ago during one of the larger storms a tree fell down and tore off the meter socket and riser conductors off the house. Shorted out the unfused wires in the meter socket, sent a large current to ground. The house down the street was affected, turned the #6 awg ground wire (to water service) into a filament! Cooked it so bad all the staples burnt off and eventually broke the wire. Welded through the water pipe, causing a huge leak, which then caused all of the basement wiring to short out. Thankfully the power was shut off before the fire got too bad, but all electronics and appliances were cooked. Long story short, I hope you don't have any problems like this but I encourage a call to your insurance company along with your electrician.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:16 AM
Urban Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do you have what is called a smart meter? If so then the log is there you will be able to make the power company prove it to there self by having them show you the log with voltages.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:17 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Yeah, boss, I was gonna say call the insurance. They have lawyers that will fight the insurance company...
Old 02-04-2011, 04:11 PM

Sorry to hear about your problems Larry. The co-op guys around here. (Norris Electric) have been awesome. Working day and night to get people back on. I hope your company does right by you with your claim.