Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

BIG BROTHER wow

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 11:10 AM
DTR'S Chaplain

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
BIG BROTHER wow

Wanna Park Your Car? Fork Over Your Social Security Number

When our latest issue of Paddler magazine arrived, we were enjoying the usual array of articles about kayaking and canoeing and rafting. And then was spotted this item.

In the scenic but Democrat-governed state of Washington, citizens who just want to park near boat launches now have to give Big Brother their Social Security number and other private information for an electronic database.

The scheme is supposedly part of a federal effort to catch deadbeat dads by denying them everything from driver's licenses and marriage licenses to "recreational licenses," which the bureaucrats in Olympia have decided includes use of boat ramps.

The Legislature says it imposed the burden only because the feds threatened to withhold welfare money if the state did not comply.

The magazine reports that when a paddler named Julie Thomas tried to put in on the Cowlitz River, she had to drive back into a town and let a store clerk enter all sorts of personal info into the database.

"In this day of identity theft, how can they do that for a simple parking permit?" Thomas wondered.

The mag says that "paddlers who try to guard their privacy in Washington now risk a $66 fine if they don't obtain the launching 'license.'"
Old 04-21-2004, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like the cheapest 66 bucks you'll ever spend.
Old 04-21-2004, 08:20 PM

Under federal law, you do not have to give ANY swinging ---- your SS#, that's why they are taking it off our DL here. I've had people ask for mine when writing a check, some refused to take the check, some said OK. I learned the hard way years ago, put my # on all my tools, box got stole from my truck, when the cops asked me if they where marked, I said yes with my SS #, they told me that was a no no, I should have put DL# because if they found them, they couldn't get access to the info as to who the # belonged to. Cops can access DMV not SS. I'd take the ticket and fight it in court, and then raise all kinds of cane when I did, sorry, but the left coast is really twisted, and a license to use a boat ramp, you've GOT to be kidding
Old 04-21-2004, 09:11 PM

here in the peoples republic of washington if you have a wild id # (required to hunt or fish)you get a sticker to park at the state boat ramps. this is so boaters who don't buy fishing licenses can pay a share of the costs of it etc.this has been this way for sveral years now. pretty soon we will draw the line when we are asked to get the chip in our forheads. sounds like a great idea until you realize it is the mark of the beast. how much freedom are we willing to give up for limited amount of security asking more of us each day.don't get me started on oeregon. sorry ramlovinvet.
Old 04-21-2004, 09:58 PM

If you don't own a boat and just wanna fish from the bank, you STILL have to pay, GEES. I'd just push the boat off a bridge, tie the rope off, park the truck and go., and what IF you really catch any fish, how much is that tax. A 4lb bass, 6 catfish and a cooler full of bream only cost us about $3.00 total in bait. I carry a rod and tackle box in the truck, just incase the mood strikes me, but there again, a LIFE TIME fishing license only cost $150.00
Old 04-21-2004, 11:45 PM

How much, jigdog? That's every mans personal call. With opperation Iraqi Freedom in the hi-lite these days, it's taken the focus off American 's freedoms which are going fast Tyranny dressed up as democracy is more and more the norm. I'm meeting three gov. regulators and an SEO on my property sat. and don't intend on bending over. I'm with Pumpdaddy, take the ticket and stand against tyranny. Don't give up freedom for a sence of false
security, make 'em take it. For perhaps, as Ben Franklin was quoted previously, "any man who does, doesn't deserve it"!

I feel sick and saddened, when thinking of leaving this dismal heratage for my childrens children. I won't appologize for belief in these principles of liberty, but instead suggest that Big Brother has needed watching for some time and that even though many prefer coffee, it may be time for a tea party! STY
Old 04-22-2004, 01:32 PM

i don't think that the state of washington should charge anybody to park at the boat ramp but if they are charging the fisherman then they should charge the hicker etc. then you have the feds that charge you for parking near a trailhead in the national forest
Old 04-23-2004, 08:55 AM

Originally posted by jigdog
i don't think that the state of washington should charge anybody to park at the boat ramp but if they are charging the fisherman then they should charge the hicker etc. then you have the feds that charge you for parking near a trailhead in the national forest
Why should I pay for boat launches or national forest parking areas if I never use them? The user fees don't cover the cost of providing the service. My taxes still pay for the boat launches and national forests anyhow, but the user fees make my tax poriton a little less.

Brian Elfert
Old 04-23-2004, 03:02 PM

belfert you are right , but i don't think your taxes are less they will still find a way to spend the money.the state parking fee area is just another way that they raise your taxes without the legislature.they just say this is the new fee.We voted to cut out luxury taxes from yearly motor vehicle registration and they cried in their beer and figured a way to jack up all the fees that have to do with any kind of vehicle that is out on the roads of the state to get their money back. (750 mil) the only good thing about it now is that not just the people that have new rigs pay it.Like if i had a 04 ctd i would be paying yearly on it around $600.00 until it deprciated down to a base fee. We all know that it takes along time for that to happen to a ctd.
Old 04-23-2004, 03:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Imagine my shock when going in for a MT non-resident fishing license, that I was asked for my SS#. They wouldn't issue the license without one. Fine, give them a phony one, because according to SS, it's not for ID purposes. At least that's what it says on mine. Told at that point I would be violating some obscure MT law about giving false information. I did an about face and left the store. Got my WY resident license and was never asked for a SS#. Now they may have had it on file, because in order to get a resident license, you need one year from date of issuance your WY D/L, which may or may not have your SS# on it. But, it's on file at HQ in Cheyenne. I remember from past that in WY, that when a WHP stops a vehicle, they ask over the radio for a D/L#, description of the persons and for a SS#. The dispatchers with the information will broadcast the data back to the officer, over open frequency.
Old 04-23-2004, 10:33 PM

Vote Kerry. That'll fix everything.
NOT!
Better yet, move to one of the last 3 free states in this once-great nation!
Old 04-23-2004, 10:37 PM

Hhhmm, last time I went in to get my Indiana driver's license renewed, I was informed that my picture was being digitally recorded in their computer as well as my signature.

Lemme see, Big Brother and all it's wonderful employees have access to my pic, SS#, driver's license number, and my signature all on the computer......

I raised all kinds of crapola over it. Bottom line - you wanna drive legally, you gotta do it. Great.

Matt
Old 04-23-2004, 10:39 PM

And Indiana is not one of those states...
Old 04-23-2004, 10:43 PM

Oh, and almost forgot to mention my fingerprints being taken to get my CCW.....

Matt
Old 04-24-2004, 12:31 AM

england

i was in a class at work the other day being taught by a brit. He was talking about transportation security and how it works in england. He talked as though he was proud about how they watch you all the time over there.He said everytime you go to a store or any place public it says to smile you are on a camera. the the goverment is watching,you go onto the freeway over there and they are watching you speed and they track you as you go down the freeway from sector to sector. I guess thats one reason they have no privately owned guns over there.

Quick Reply: BIG BROTHER wow