Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Bestest Breakroom - Oct 9 - 15

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 07:34 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Bestest Breakroom - Oct 9 - 15

Come on in, relax, grab a cup and jabber a bit. Fresh coffee, ph00, hot water for Claude and lemonade are on the counter along with a variety of cookies and pastries to help keep you slim.

Me off to church. L8R
Old 10-09-2016, 10:26 AM

Received 414 Likes on 316 Posts
Mornin there FiverBob. Thanks for the coffee, I'll have to pass on the sweet stuff. Got the wife's car ready for winter yesterday. Doing an oil change on the 01 today. Then I have a little electronics project for my spare time. Updating the OD switch circuit in the 92 to accommodate the CompMini's OD and LU circuitry.
Old 10-09-2016, 12:40 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Nibbled on the sweets. Saving room for the pork loin I got cooking in the slow cooker. Decided we needed pie also, so one's in the oven.

Got to see the oldest DC-3 still flying yesterday. Ford Tri-motor and one of 4 known original Curtis Jenny's. Good time was had by all!
Old 10-09-2016, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by sherod
Nibbled on the sweets. Saving room for the pork loin I got cooking in the slow cooker. Decided we needed pie also, so one's in the oven.

Got to see the oldest DC-3 still flying yesterday. Ford Tri-motor and one of 4 known original Curtis Jenny's. Good time was had by all!
Have quite a bit of time flying in those things. Good plane. Sorta like the new ones a bit better, but good memories.
Old 10-10-2016, 10:05 AM

Received 414 Likes on 316 Posts
Clouded up and rained yesterday. Warmer this morning. Haven't decided what I want (or need) to do today.
Old 10-10-2016, 12:15 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Flurries today.

Father in-law is slipping.
His wife once told when it gets to be 'time', she'll tell me "It's time for us to be at home." She told me that today.
She means that Gerald is fine with being at home for the remainder of his life.
No more doctors, no more hospitals.
His urinary tract and bladder infections, diabetes, stage four prostate cancer etc etc is or has taken its toll and the Dr said the outlook isn't favorable for a quality of life that's good for anyone.
My mother in-law has also said its now too much for her whereas anytime prior, she wouldn't have anything to do with getting help.
From what I understand, they are content with him being at home.
We'll be monitoring closely. There won't be any suffering which means he may have to go to a hospital setting one more time.
He's like a dad to me.
Not much more I can say.
Old 10-10-2016, 02:23 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by FiverBob
Have quite a bit of time flying in those things. Good plane. Sorta like the new ones a bit better, but good memories.
The only time i flew on a DC3 it was into Martha's Vineyard on a gusty day. The thing flapped like a flag till the last second, then greased in for a nice landing. I asked the pilot about it on the way off and he said with that big tail, you could wear yourself out trying to keep it straight. Isn't worth the effort till yer about 20 feet from the tarmac.

It was a noisy bird, but it got the job done.
Old 10-10-2016, 02:40 PM

$100 bucks for a 20 minute ride on the DC-3, just didn't bring the $$ to spend. $75 for the same ride in the Tri-motor. Would have been worth it, just didn't think about it.

I did get a good spray of aviation fuel on me when those engines cranked though!!

There is a guy that's always at KLOU that gives rides over Louisville in a WACO.

Would be fun, but I'd rather fly myself I guess. Still working on getting the C-150.
Old 10-10-2016, 02:56 PM

Scotty - - - sooo sorry to hear about the father in law. What is so warming about it is your feelings toward him. It is one thing to get a good mate, but when they come with parents that become a close part of your family, that is amazing and exciting. I never did get to know my MIL very well, she died young and still lived up north. My FIL along with Marian's widowed sister moved down and landed close to us. When we sold the place on the bay and geared down, we decided to get somewhat close to them. It was a good choice. He is now gone and was a good grandpa to our kids. Her sis was an amazing aunt and made their Christmas time. We see here very often. So, take time to be with him as much as reasonably possible - - it will great memories for you both. My prayers are with you guys.

I put a fresh pot on - - - everyone forgot. Just needed a cup of my ph00....................

Have a good one.
Old 10-10-2016, 09:45 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by Scotty
Flurries today.

Father in-law is slipping.
His wife once told when it gets to be 'time', she'll tell me "It's time for us to be at home." She told me that today.
She means that Gerald is fine with being at home for the remainder of his life.
No more doctors, no more hospitals.
His urinary tract and bladder infections, diabetes, stage four prostate cancer etc etc is or has taken its toll and the Dr said the outlook isn't favorable for a quality of life that's good for anyone.
My mother in-law has also said its now too much for her whereas anytime prior, she wouldn't have anything to do with getting help.
From what I understand, they are content with him being at home.
We'll be monitoring closely. There won't be any suffering which means he may have to go to a hospital setting one more time.
He's like a dad to me.
Not much more I can say.
Sorry to hear about your FIL. I watched mine pass some 18 years ago, and it wasn't fun to be there as he passed away, but necessary it was.

Comforting to him, as I promised I'd take care of his wife for him, and was honored to do so. Not sure if He asked his two sons the same request, but He must have really trusted me. To this very day, I still continue that promise. Just got back with the 85 year old bag of cat bones and the wife looking at fall leaves a changing. She had a nice day out with us, albeit not terribly exciting of a day, as she's not very mobile anymore due to hip pain.

All I can say is to simply be there for him, and let him know it. It helped my FIL pass with peace of mind.
Old 10-10-2016, 10:13 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman
Sorry to hear about your FIL. I watched mine pass some 18 years ago, and it wasn't fun to be there as he passed away, but necessary it was.

Comforting to him, as I promised I'd take care of his wife for him, and was honored to do so. Not sure if He asked his two sons the same request, but He must have really trusted me. To this very day, I still continue that promise. Just got back with the 85 year old bag of cat bones and the wife looking at fall leaves a changing. She had a nice day out with us, albeit not terribly exciting of a day, as she's not very mobile anymore due to hip pain.

All I can say is to simply be there for him, and let him know it. It helped my FIL pass with peace of mind.
His boys are almost oblivious to how rough their dad is. Denial maybe?
He too said some stuff to me over the years that were very kind and loving words. Grateful for him.
Today he was awake and moved around a bit then went and laid down.
My wife went to his room and they talked for awhile. Then he fell asleep.
He sleeps alot. I know he's ready.
Old 10-11-2016, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by Scotty
His boys are almost oblivious to how rough their dad is. Denial maybe?
He too said some stuff to me over the years that were very kind and loving words. Grateful for him.
Today he was awake and moved around a bit then went and laid down.
My wife went to his room and they talked for awhile. Then he fell asleep.
He sleeps alot. I know he's ready.
I just went thru this with a close friend in my Sunday School class. He was 96. I visited with him often in the nursing home. My last trip there was a Saturday morning and he was laying back in his recliner covered with a blanket seemingly asleep. I sat beside him facing him and when I talked his hand started searching. I slipped my hand in his and he squeezed tight. His face did not move, just shallow breathing. I would remind him of golf games together, etc and he would squeeze my hand. I prayed with him out loud so he could hear and he squeezed my hand at the end of it, then quit breathing. I could not believe it. This lasted about 15 seconds - - seemed like hour - - then a couple gasps and back breathing. I stayed about an hour. He quit breathing about 15 minutes after I left. I had the feeling when I left I was looking at him the last time with only a bit of life left in him. It can be tough, but wonderful to slip away so peacefully, especially when you know they were ready to meet their creator. Hang tough and gentle, buddy. God is with you - - let it spread..

Made coffee and ph00 but so busy could not get anything to go with it. Rushing around to get out of here Friday - - heading back to Sapphire to see the leaves do their thing. Gorgeous. ..................
Old 10-11-2016, 05:48 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 151 Likes on 117 Posts
Good morning from Paradise. Still wonderful weather down here, although the last couple of days have been cooler and breezy. Back to the usual nice temps for the rest of the week.

Bob, thanks for the coffee. Nobody here needs any goodies to go with the coffee anyway as they are probably overweight and you would not be helping.

Scotty, sorry to hear what you are going through. Not pleasant times, even although that is an inevitable part of life. Not much that I can add to what has already been said. May God give you and your family the strength and guidance they need as they go through these stressful times.
Old 10-11-2016, 01:02 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Thanks for the coffee warmer today in the 70s real cool in the mornings, spent the morning getting my 1971 528 ci Duster ready for a cruise in this weekend it will be the first time in 4 years it's been on the road.

Got a winterize the camper soon I hate to do it but it's nessary.
Yall be careful
Old 10-11-2016, 03:28 PM

Scotty- Sorry to hear, but take comfort in his pain is ending. My Families Prayers to you, your Family and all concerned.

Quick Reply: Bestest Breakroom - Oct 9 - 15