Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Best place to live

Old 05-06-2013, 02:14 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Best place to live

A poll to find out where is (what you think) is the best place in the US to live.

At some point in the future, I'm planning on moving myself and my wife out of this toilet of a state, and I'm interested in thoughts, or feelings of those around the country, as to where they feel is the finest place to plant an ***, given the economy, friendliness of the locals, tax burden, and so on. I'm truly tired of NJ and it's mean spirited people, and the overtaxation of those who try to make an honest living here.

My requirements are as follows.

1. Somewhere between 1-5 acres of property, preferably out of the city limits in the NORTHERN or upper half of the US, as I will never move to the south as I'm not a big fan of the heat of the summer days, nor is my wife.

2. A place with a somewhat stable economic population.

3. Close (within an hour or less) to recreation areas, such as parks to enjoy visiting

4. Within an hour or so of a metropolitan area that has somewhat wealthy residents that can afford to not have to repair their own homes themselves (financially stable folks that have the need for legitimate, professional, residential contractors for improvements)

5. Someplace that will not TAX us to death, as we're being done now....

6. Someplace that when you open a door for someone, they don't call you an A$$hole for sarcastically saying "your welcome" when they ignore that you opened the door for them, refusing to acknowledge the fact that you were considerate enough to do so.

TIA
Old 05-06-2013, 02:37 PM
Pickin on the wrong admin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How about Montana....Then you could come down and visit us Alberta guys...
Old 05-06-2013, 03:22 PM

North Dakota and South Dakota are going hard right now too with oil and gas. Great economy, with almost 0% unemployment and LOTS of jobs.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:33 PM
I grad-u-ated frum Claudes skool of tpying....

or up here in vermont ..taxes are bearable ...collages with money in my area an really lax gun laws...for example in this state you dont need a permit to carry conceled
Old 05-06-2013, 05:35 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
I was going to suggest my ideal location of Western Tennessee, until you said northern half.

Montana would probably be the next best place as far as I can see.......
Old 05-06-2013, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by patdaly
I was going to suggest my ideal location of Western Tennessee, until you said northern half.

Montana would probably be the next best place as far as I can see.......

I have a buddy who lives in Murfreesboro TN. He pays $1800 a year for taxes with garbage and sewer included, nice house, great job down there.... minimal living expenses...

Not sure where that is, but he's begging me to move down there, as he and I were really good friends, and he hasn't made any of the same caliber down there. He stopped my thoughts of moving there when he told me how freaking hot it was there last summer when his pool temperature never went below 92* F ...

I just cannot handle the hot weather, and I really enjoy snow....... so... I guess I'm staying north... but thanks anyway... !
Old 05-06-2013, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by twichit
or up here in vermont ..taxes are bearable ...collages with money in my area an really lax gun laws...for example in this state you dont need a permit to carry conceled

Originally I was thinking Taxachussetts, but my buddy who lives there is paying almost what I'm paying here..... $7500 a year for local township taxes which includes..... uh..... NOTHING. At least there, he gets his garbage picked up.....

I like the idea of vermont, and I'll explore that more later. My other friend bought about 250 acres in Maine about 35 years ago. He grows xmas trees there, and although he's been back and forth from NJ to there for 3.5 decades, they still treat him like an outsider. He told me that they generally don't hire "outsiders", so i'm a little weary of the inability to find work right away... as I'm not financially independent.

I like the gun law freedom aspect as well ... A big plus..

Montana sound beautiful, and I like the outdoors more than indoors.

Two nice states that I was already interested in....

Thank you.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Diesel Dave2
How about Montana....Then you could come down and visit us Alberta guys...

In all honesty, being a HUGE RUSH FAN, I've always been fascinated with visiting canada. I was there back in 95 on my honeymoon at niagra. I drove over the bridge, went to the top of the spire or whatever that thing is, looked at the falls, and we drove back. I couldn't believe all of the wild black ferrets there were running all over the place.... until I was told they were actually black squirrels... which don't exist where I live...
Old 05-06-2013, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by klx650a2
North Dakota and South Dakota are going hard right now too with oil and gas. Great economy, with almost 0% unemployment and LOTS of jobs.
That's what I keep hearing how incredible the job market is there. Nice and cold winters too.....
Old 05-06-2013, 07:31 PM
With age comes the cage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
All I can offer is stay out of Colo.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:11 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I've been thinking the same thing, but I'm still a few years out...

I've looked at Montana, Idaho, the Dakotas... I'm leaning toward the WV area at the moment because of my wife...

I want to be away from hurricanes, away from wild fires, away from public unrest, tornadoes, earthquakes, drought, horrible snow, horrible heat...

I've also been thinking about the climate change, and how the world is changing... in 30 years, the weather in Texas will be in Oklahoma... IMHO

Don't pick Yuma. I'd wish people that I hate to end up there... nothing more.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:31 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Montana sucks.

I like it here.....'cept for all the libtards.....
Old 05-06-2013, 10:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Dakotas are going gangbusters with the drilling, but good luck finding any place to live. If you can find a few acres the first thing to do would be build yourself a shack to live in. If you can find some lumber. I was told by one of the truckers who brought hay in this winter that Williston is like a mini-NYC right now, almost no police, so crime is way up. I've heard they are putting unlicensed drivers in trucks because they are so short of people and the chances of getting caught is nil. And those guys up there think nothing of running 80+ on gravel weighing in at 105,000+.

Nebraska's isn't too bad, I think we ranked second for lowest unemployment last year. It costs over $100 and a day-long class to get a concealed carry permit, but once you get it, you show it to the gun shop and it qualifies as the background check. They also have a purchase permit here, you get it and they don't have to run the check once you present it.

Winters get cold. But not a lot of snow, at least down in this corner. They get more once you get north of Frontier county, up into the Platte valley. And summers get hot. Oddly, in spring and fall, the state high temp is often in the northwest corner, but usually down here around McCook. The official high last summer in McCook was 117, and some people had 118-120.

I'm afraid that you'll find that, no matter where you go, you are going to find people like that, if you are in/near any large metro area. Just going into wally's-mart in North Platte versus McCook, you get a completely different feel about the place. The people in McCook will- scratch that, want to- talk to you, in North Platte, you're lucky to get your receipt once you ask for it, let alone the time of day.

I'm also spoiled by small-town banks. MNB is family-owned and they are pretty low-key. 6 branches, you go in to see about a loan, and talk to the guy in charge of the loan dep't. Walk in the main branch with a lost look, and they have a receptionist to point you in the right direction or find someone for you. And your funds are available the next day, including Saturday.

The smaller, single-location banks like the one in Trenton, if you need to cash a check, will pull out a book, look up the other bank's phone number using the routing number, and call to see if the check is good, then if it is, cash it without charging you.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Colo_River_Ram
All I can offer is stay out of Colo.
I have an acquaintance who lives near Littleton. He loves it out there... except for when the wildfires take over his world.

Personally, I like the geography of Northern PA / NY State boarder, so I'm going to look there as well. I figure I have a couple of years till my wife's mom passes, then we can get serious, as GMA is the only thing keeping us here now...
Old 05-07-2013, 12:09 PM
With age comes the cage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't get me wrong I love it hear also I just don't like what the politicians has done to the oil & gas industry and the other freedoms I grew up with.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best place to live