Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Beautiful wood for building things

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2004, 06:43 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Beautiful wood for building things

Even though hurricane Isabell was a bad thing and tore down eight of my ten trees, something good may have come out of it. She blew down my big beautiful cedar out front and the power company was nice enough to cut the upper section into about four foot lengths to get it off the wires. A fellow diesel sniffer from up the street came by one day and asked what was I going to do with the tree and said he had a portable saw mill. Well, I gave hime the whole tree trunk, about 16 feet long by 24 inches in diameter. He took the two four foot sections that were still 12 to 16 inches in diameter and cut them into 3/4 inch boards for me. You talk about some beautiful wood now, that stuff is gorgeous. I'll see if I can get some pics to post. It is currently in my wood shop room drying out. I am looking for a planer to purchase and will probably end up building a jewlery chest for the other half or something like that.
Anyone else like the wood working hobby?
Got any pics of projects?
Old 03-19-2004, 09:33 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last year, I recovered some whie cedar the road commision cleared from a ditch. I slabbed out a wide one with my Alaska mill. I cut the center slab 2" thick and sanded it down with the raw sides still on. Made a saw horse style frame out of aspen logs, and attached the top. Legs have some more drying to do before I can Urethane it.

Took a big red pine down wednesday. Got the bottom log slabbed out, but the chains were too dull to finish any more. I cut the boards 5/4, exceps the center at 2 1/4". I'll dry it some, and run it through my portable planer for furniture. The thick slab, is gonna be another log frame table. The others will be a chest/bench for the porch. That's just one log. I only started doing this a couple years ago, and still learning. Hard work, but fun.
Don
Old 03-19-2004, 10:03 AM

I'm working on a chunk of cedar now to mount a Euro deer head on.
Old 03-19-2004, 10:10 AM

ramcummins has a little business goin, building log furnitue, and stuff like that. he has made some beautiful things. (beds, entertainment centers, benches, shelves, and all sorts of stuff) you tell him what you want and he'll GIT ER DONE
Old 03-19-2004, 11:24 AM
Administrator

I have a pine out front that is about 85 feet tall and probably 36 to 38 inches across the stump at least. This is one of two trees that Isabell didn't blow down. I don't know why or how but it stood through the storm. It was the weirdest thing I ever seen, it was pumping water out of the ground when the wind would blow one direction and then pump it up out of another hole on the opposite side when the wind direction would change. I never seen anything like that before.
Anyway, I need to take it down but really hate to. It is supposed to be the oldest tree in town. I would love to cut it up and build something out of it rather than just having it hauled off. This thing seriuosly looks like something you would find out west in the forests. I really hate to take down anything living like this but if it ever would fall on my house, it is done to say nothing of the people inside.
Any takers to help get it down?
Old 03-19-2004, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by MWomack
I'm working on a chunk of cedar now to mount a Euro deer head on.
I got several slices out of this cedar like that.
Old 03-19-2004, 02:03 PM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Don't worry about it, if it hit you, you wouldn't care anyway.
Old 03-19-2004, 08:23 PM

I did a fair bit of turning this fall/winter... a little over 100 pens/pencils from every species of wood I could get my hands on. The most productive things besides sawdust every to come out of my little shop. Even got to keep a few for myself!

Too bad I can't count the 12 cords of oak I cut, split, and burned this winter as woodworking. Even worse...still burning it to keep the house warm.... spring just can't get here soon enough....
Old 03-20-2004, 05:45 PM

as rjordan said, I have built a few things in my spare time . I have a sawmill and I mainly build out of aspen or pine, aspen is very beautiful. I will round up some pics and post them.
Old 03-20-2004, 08:28 PM
DPG

Working with wood is really therapy for me. I used to make my living at it in between teaching jobs. If you ever get to the Dirkson Senate Office Building in D.C., I built the cherry-inlaid tables used in the offices. (If they are still there, this was 20 years ago.) The podium and lectern are pieces that I built for our school's new performing arts center last summer.