Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Baby It's Cold Outside Breakroom Jan 17 - 23

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 05:13 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Baby It's Cold Outside Breakroom Jan 17 - 23

New week starting, new opportunities, new challenges, fresh coffee and ph00 plus some sprinkles on the counter.

Some of you are having some really cold weather and yuk. Sorry 'bout that. Been there, done that, I will stay where I am. However, we had an unusual thing at 2:30 this morning. My emergency alert went off awakening us. Realized the bedroom was flashing every couple seconds with lightning but faint thunder. Very unusual. Kicked on the TV and a water spout (tornado) was bearing down from the gulf. We grabbed clothes and water and were ready to head for our safe room. About 3 minutes later they isolated the land fall to about 9 miles north of us and heading northeast with 125 mph winds and moving at 40 mph. Have not turn on TV to see what happened. So, a little excitement weather wise our way also.

OK, coffee and ph00 and down.......................................have mine and out of here. Have a great day.

Bob

ps: just turned on TV - - some amazing flash flooding with rain coming at 2"/hour, 4 total tornadoes, 1 fatality so far, one tornado was 1 mile north of our house. We slept like babies. Lot of power outages, many houses reported destroyed or heavily damaged and it is still dark out. That first tornado stayed on the ground for over 40 minutes. Sure unusual for our area. Fun night. Looks like should have stayed in our safe room until it was over. Looked like only one coming in, but after we headed back to bed, 3 more came, one much closer. Scary.
Old 01-17-2016, 06:23 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Glad you made it out ok! I remember the waterspouts from when I lived on the coast. During one storm, I remember standing on the front porch and seeing 5 funnels. Kinda didn't know which way to run!
Old 01-17-2016, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by sherod
Glad you made it out ok! I remember the waterspouts from when I lived on the coast. During one storm, I remember standing on the front porch and seeing 5 funnels. Kinda didn't know which way to run!
I was out water skiing years ago on Tampa Bay, looked over beside me and there was a water spout heading straight for us and another one behind it. We obviously headed for the boat ramp in a hurry.

Just got news of another fatality. Lots of damage seen from the choppers overhead. Tough night. The fatalities were from a mobile home. Four kids taken to the hospital. I am looking at it right now - - uhhh, I mean looking at the debris field. The highest point of the home is less than three feet. OUCH
Old 01-17-2016, 07:23 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
There's no place like home.
Glad you're all safe BobbyDependable.
Crazy powerful stuff.
Old 01-17-2016, 07:59 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
TornadoBob, thanks for the coffee. Was reading on the news earlier this morning about the tornado hitting the mobile home in Duette and and figured the bad stuff was close to you. Not nice.

Down here in chilly Paradise, the day has dawned cloudless, windless, but very cold. The sun is up now, so expect in a few hours to be able to be comfortable outside in my usual shorts. So glad that this area is between hurricane and earthquake zones.

Off to continue my day.
Old 01-17-2016, 10:11 AM

Received 414 Likes on 316 Posts
not as cold today, got some cloud cover.Still above normal temperatures for this time of year.
Mrs C got her passport, we can get into the lower 48 as bonified US citizens now. Like we weren't before.
Old 01-17-2016, 02:24 PM

In light of the expected single digit temps, I decided to break out the wood processing equipment. That didn't take long as it consisted of 1 saw and a splitting maul. I'm now having second thoughts on my decision to leave the blade mounted on the tractor instead of dropping it and hooking up the splitter!

It's now too late for dinner, so i guess I'll eat a double supper!

See ya!
Old 01-17-2016, 03:44 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Just arrived home from our usual Sunday lunch. At the risk of becoming hated by all of you experiencing single digit temperatures, or temperatures with a minus in front of it, allow me to tell you about our lunch.

Every Sunday we go out for lunch, normally with friends. Occasionally we try a different place, but always come back to the small restaurant at the sports club close to where we live. Unless it is very windy or rainy, we always sit outside. Here is a picture of the place; VERDE LIMÓN RESTAURANT | Regency Today was excellent with a temperature of 24C and just the occasional whisper of a breeze. The shade was almost cool, but sun was very hot. It is soooooo nice to sit outside there, under the dappled shade of the numerous palm trees and enjoy some leisurely, lovely fresh, hot Mexican food. Just for fun today I counted the visible palm trees from where I was sitting and gave up after I counted 30. Most times we go there, we are the only customers or maybe at max another two occupied tables, so it is very quiet and peaceful. We choose the time just before the usual Mexican lunch time when it can get crowded and noisy.

When I got back into my truck could only hold the steering wheel with two fingers as it was so hot. Needed to immediately put the A/C on. I cannot remember a day when I have not used the A/C. Now that it is winter, I sometimes put the heat on early in the morning, but by 10 or 11 a.m., the A/C is back on.

HEY!!! who threw that coconut at me?
Old 01-17-2016, 04:34 PM

Bonk!
Old 01-17-2016, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mexstan
the small restaurant at the sports club close to where we live.
Just for fun today I counted the visible palm trees from where I was sitting and gave up after I counted 30.
Hey Stan, looks like neat spot. We enjoyed those restaurants on our long RV trip down into Mexico. FYI - - we have 15 palm trees on our lot.

Weather has calmed down a bit here - - ended up sunny this afternoon, getting brisk this evening, then cold for the next two days with highs in the low 60's and 40's at night. Guess the orchids get to spend those nights inside the house.

Grabbing a ph00 and go do something productive. ..............

Bob
Old 01-17-2016, 08:34 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
The leading edge of the cold system we're enjoying must have just gotten to Florida. Glad yer safe. No twisters here, but heading for -18°F by morning.

Dodged a bullet last night. As the temp was going below 0°, I noticed a bottle of the RV antifreeze I had used was frozen solid. I checked both campers and the drains were frozen solid. Put some 96% propylene glycol in each drain and lit the furnaces. Nothing broke and they opened up.

Checked the frozen bottle and it was 12% PG. Should have been 35%. Definitely would have broken something by morning.

Inside cuddled up with DW, I'm not suffering at all.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:02 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Morning all.
16* and breezy in our Nation's Crapitol.
The morning's outside taskings are estimated to be completed in record time.
Coffee's on.
Looks like the cook is off for the holiday.
We're on our own for vittles.
Have a good'n
Dress warm. (Except for Stan)
Old 01-18-2016, 06:43 AM

Good morning. Another gorgeous day is dawning down here in Paradise. Still a bit cool at the moment but in an hour will be quite pleasant. Have my warm shorts on.

Very busy day ahead of me, so grabbing a coffee (thanks Ed) and getting ready to hit the road.

L8tr.
Old 01-18-2016, 07:19 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
On my last trip my -35f washer fluid turned thick. Makes me wonder who put the labels on this stuff as I've never had any problems with -35 ever.

Today we are getting snow with a gentle 30-50 kph breeze.

Family is why I'm here.
Almost a unanimous vote to move lol.
Old 01-18-2016, 07:30 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Morning all.

Glad you're safe PhooyBob!

Right around 0 here this morning with wind and snow. Anyone want a farm in Michigan?

Quick Reply: Baby It's Cold Outside Breakroom Jan 17 - 23