Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Other (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/other-94/)
-   -   Anyone work at the Post Office? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/other-94/anyone-work-post-office-124376/)

2500CTD 11-17-2006 02:53 PM

Anyone work at the Post Office?

I applied for a job there, and now after almost a yr I have an interview. Also How much longer is the process? This is the 4th different thing. Also for those who work there how is it? Do you like working there? good benefits etc?

RickG 11-17-2006 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by 2500CTD (Post 1213666)
I applied for a job there, and now after almost a yr I have an interview. Also How much longer is the process? This is the 4th different thing. Also for those who work there how is it? Do you like working there? good benefits etc?

Every Post Office varies on how long to get hired , how long to make regular , etc. My wife is a letter carrier . She was Part Time Flex for a year and a half before making regular . Don't let the part time title fool you . You get plenty of overtime . Postal management sux . Go to NALC.org , APWU.org and postalnews.com to see how they are trying to shaft the union on the new contract . It's a real stressful job . They watch your every step . Think twice about taking a clerk position . More and more of them are losing their jobs due to automation .

SOOTER 11-17-2006 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by 2500CTD (Post 1213666)

My wife works at the post office. My recommendations? ......FIND A DIFFERENT LINE OF WORK! You'll never see your family during the holidays, without being a 'regular' (being a FT Carrier on the SAME route) you will carry up to 3, possibly 4 complete routes A DAY and, ya the OT is great, but if your not there to spend it it's not enjoyed!

My wife has been in the Post Office as a Rural Carrier for 10 years, she still doesn't have a Saturday & Sunday off (a weekend meaning!) She also was a RCA for 3 1/2 years before getting her own route and going FT (Regular).

DON'T FORGET WHILE YOUR A PTF or RCA (Not a FT Regular) YOU DON'T GET BENEFITS!

Really, the money isn't worth the headaches of REALLY, R-E-A-L-L-Y poor run system.

BTW My Mother and Father in Law both are also Postal Employees! RUN! RUN FAST AND FAR AWAY!

John

satburn 11-17-2006 08:26 PM

I'm just shocked at how many of our wives work there. MINE TOO!!! She's a TRC and after she read what was above, all I heard was "yup....yup.....yup..."

RickG 11-18-2006 03:12 AM

Sooter , does your wife use her own vehicle ? Some Post Offices are giving their rural carriers LLV's . My step daughter has been an RCA for over 2 years . She mostly just works every other Saturday . There's a pretty good forum for rural carriers at delphiforums.com . When my step daughter needed more money she worked as a casual city carrier at another post office . She got all the hours she wanted . Casuals get about $5 an hour less than regulars . NALC has won millions of dollars in suits against USPS for using casuals to avoid paying overtime to union carriers . My wife got a settlement of over $3,000 . In some ways ridiculous USPS rules hurt employees but postal workers do have a lot of benefits too . A carrier at my wife's PO got a DUI while off the job . If she was a commercial driver for anybody else she'd be lucky to get a driving job anywhere . This carrier had another carrier assigned to go on her route with her and drive her vehicle for her . [duhhh]

doomgaze 11-18-2006 05:42 AM

I have a lot of relatives in the Post Office and so does my girlfriend. It is a highly stressfull job and most seem to say that there is a reason they call it going "postal" on someone.

KAyers 11-18-2006 09:08 AM

I worked as a truck mechanic at the post office for 5 years. I hired in as a full time employee from day 1. They supplied all tools. Great benefits.

Only reason I quit was I wanted a career change. I was tired of turning wrenches.

All Post Office jobs are not bad. Give it a chance.

RickG 11-18-2006 09:19 AM

2500CTD , just what type job were you applying for ?

Ph4tty 11-18-2006 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by doomgaze (Post 1214423)
I have a lot of relatives in the Post Office and so does my girlfriend. It is a highly stressfull job and most seem to say that there is a reason they call it going "postal" on someone.

Reminds me of a quote from my bro from years ago:

"Dad carries a gun and works for the post office. we do't ask any questions" [roll]

2500CTD 11-18-2006 03:49 PM

I'm going for Electronics Tech. I wont be working the windows. Also from what I remeber this is starting out as a reg. Wish I could out about job duties before hand.

KAyers 11-18-2006 05:41 PM

You'll start out full time in that position. Don't let these guys scare you. The Postal Service is an incredible career and well worth the hoops you have to jump through to get hired. Carrying mail or being a window clerk, that's different from a tech job like you are getting in to.

Best health insurance, 5 weeks a year vacation, shift differential pay, holidays...It's a good job.

I'd imagine you'd be a level 7 or higher to start with with the knowedge that an electronics job requires.