Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Anyone wear a harness on scissor lifts?

Old 09-28-2013, 11:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
I never understood why you would step on the side rail instead of just raising the lift a few more inches.....too big a hurry to use common sense I guess and that is why we have OSHA because common sense is not so common.
That's the only way to get to the ply wood and step ladder on top the rails when you just can't quite reach high enough. Actually saw this done on jobsite.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:12 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
I had the MSHA guy show up at the plant one afternoon, looked like a space ranger...safety glasses , goggles face shield, ear plugs and muffs, knee pads in pants, metatarsal guards on steel toes, and THEN PROCEEDED TO SHOW ME THE SAFETY VIOLATION ON THE LOADER HE CAUGHT TWO YEARS PRIOR. (sorry hit caps lock by mistake).

My hero...
Old 09-29-2013, 02:45 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
The next time Y'all are having a bad day being hassled by OSHA, show them this picture, and remind them these are the folks you are having to compete against............and that without your job, OSHA isn't required.

Not that I have anything against working safely.............

Anyone wear a harness on scissor lifts?-forklift.jpg
Old 09-29-2013, 03:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Honestly, do yourself a favor and find a harness that fits you .... and wear it.

My folks used to run an industrial equipment brokerage company, and one day we received a cherry picker that needed some work. Typical of what we did for our customers, he needed it fixed up for spring and it was one of many winter projects we had brought in.

While we were rolling it off the lowboy, one of the tires burst and not realizing the bucket wasn't secured properly, it tossed my Dad about 75 feet into the air.

His only injury? Besides his pride, a crushed thumb from the bucket pinching it once he hit the ground. Had he not been wearing the harness, there would have been a good chance of him coming out of the bucket and it landing on him.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:59 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Just remember.... every "Safety Warning" sign and every Safety Reg was probably implemented after someone was injured either by accident, or they attempted to win a Darwin Award by trying something spectacularly stupid.

When I climbed with the Phone Company, we used a safety belt and a hard hat.
My new employer requires a full harness, steel toed shoes, gloves, a Mountain climber's helmet, and a certification that has to be updated with a written and skills test every year on both safe climbing and rescue.
Of course we climb a little bit higher now.........

I wear them because my employer provides them, so I can go home to my family at night.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone wear a harness on scissor lifts?-tower-6-14-2013.jpg  
Old 09-30-2013, 05:38 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Shovelhead
Just remember.... every "Safety Warning" sign and every Safety Reg was probably implemented after someone was injured either by accident, or they attempted to win a Darwin Award by trying something spectacularly stupid.

When I climbed with the Phone Company, we used a safety belt and a hard hat.
My new employer requires a full harness, steel toed shoes, gloves, a Mountain climber's helmet, and a certification that has to be updated with a written and skills test every year on both safe climbing and rescue.
Of course we climb a little bit higher now.........

I wear them because my employer provides them, so I can go home to my family at night.
Be glad you don't climb these things, I get nauseous just watching the video......

On the other hand, you could wear a base jump chute if you could get away from the tower....

Old 09-30-2013, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by patdaly
Be glad you don't climb these things, I get nauseous just watching the video......

On the other hand, you could wear a base jump chute if you could get away from the tower....

I've seen that video.....those guys are NUTZ!!!
Think about it,........ how far is the nearest bathroom?...............
Old 09-30-2013, 08:02 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Shovelhead
I've seen that video.....those guys are NUTZ!!!
Think about it,........ how far is the nearest bathroom?...............
The down wind side
Old 09-30-2013, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
The down wind side
I'm guessing they don't eat a lot of Mexican food before they go to work.........
Old 09-30-2013, 08:23 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Gives a whole new value to Depends doesn't it
Old 10-01-2013, 06:33 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
There was a signal maintainer that was on a signal about 30 feet up when a supervisor parked his truck under where he was working. The maintainer swung to the outside got his pants down around the harness and dropped a load on the supervisors hood.
Old 10-01-2013, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by patdaly
The next time Y'all are having a bad day being hassled by OSHA, show them this picture, and remind them these are the folks you are having to compete against............and that without your job, OSHA isn't required.

Not that I have anything against working safely.............

Attachment 41975

Those guys are my heroes!

Sent from my Windows Phone 8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-02-2013, 09:31 AM

OSHA does not require harnesses in scissor lifts best of my knowledge. We don't use them at work and our safety regs are at least as strict as OSHA and generally more so (commercial construction)

Standing on hand rails is prohibited

The tie off on a scissor lift is a 'fall restraint' device and not a 'fall arrest' device in a the cases I have seen. If you are tied off to the lift it is only designed to keep you in the basket. Being tied off to the lift does NOT allow you to stand on the rails, because the lift is not designed to stop your fall.

The only time you can stand on rail or above lift is if you are tied off to structure above lift that does not require you to step on rail to attach to.

Boom lifts are 'fall arrest' systems and we are required to harness up for those.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:30 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
No kidding...L&I guy shows up yesterday on our road job and flashes an orange folder out his window with "L&I Safety Inspector" written on it in sharpie and hollers to me "Why isn't your guy wearing any hi-vis?" I correct the problem as he pulls right out in front of a PUD truck and almost gets side swiped....

I'm all for safety in teh workplace, don't get me wrong, but some of these guys....
Old 10-03-2013, 09:34 PM

There are pad eyes welded near the floor of those scissor lifts of the specific purpose of tying your lanyard to them. Enough of an OSHA requirement that manufacturers have adopted it into their designs.

We had a fall safety booth at our last all-hands safety day ...was pretty cool. He brought this contraption that showed what happens to a lanyard when a normal size person hits the end of it in a fall. Of course the question came up as to what would happen if you put it back in service and the same size person fell. The second fall was a bit messy.

Doesn't cost anything to wear it ...could be pretty costly not to.

Cheers,
PISTOL

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone wear a harness on scissor lifts?