Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Black Monday Breakroom 11/26 to 12/2

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2017, 08:34 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Black Monday Breakroom 11/26 to 12/2

Morning all. We made it thru all the turkey and cranberry stuff. Now to wade thru Black Monday and everyone trying to get more of our money. Guess that is what makes the world go 'round.

Refilled the KCup drawers with all kinds of coffee blends - - come and get it. Brought in some fruit cake slices and left over pumpkin pie - - whipped cream in the fridge. Enjoy.

Making meself a ph00 - - waiting for a sitter for the sis-in-law, then taking wife and daughter-in-law out for dinner. Son flew out to San Diego this morning.

......................Ph00.....................
Old 11-27-2017, 07:13 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
Good morning from a cool and sunny Paradise. This is normal fall and winter weather for this part of the world. At daybreak the temps could be close to to freezing, but by 10 a.m. they are up the high teens (C) and by 11 a.m. the sun is so hot that the shade feels great. Most days lately have a high around 25 - 27 C. Every day has mostly beautiful deep blue skies and low humidity.

No need for me to make any ph00 or coffee with that fancy new K gizmo, so as Bob said, come and get it.

Getting ready for the annual family Christmas gathering which always takes place the first Saturday of every December. As we are central to most of the family, our house is the gathering point for the folks that come from Guadalajara and Mexico City. They all stay at the local City Express, about a 6 minute drive from my house. Going to have over 30 people here on Saturday. The gathering and the meal always take place on the nice green lawn and our big terrace. It is catered (cooked on site) and the format is very different to what you do in America and Canada. Love it.

For those of you who are curious as to how we do large parties here in Mexico, let me elaborate a bit. As the weather is normally very nice outside, most large family gatherings are held outside. We rent tables and chairs and if there is a chance of rain, a large tent to cover the area. These tents can be large enough to cover hundreds of people. As there will be no rain in December, we do not need a tent. The sun can sometimes be a problem, but we have lots of big trees around my yard, so there is lots of shade. Have a big “L” shaped terrance around the house, so more shade there too.

We have used the same caterers for years because everybody loves the way they prepare the food and stuff themselves to capacity. It is a family and 3 or 4 women come and set up two or three gas fired stoves next to the terrace and heat or cook the Mexican style meal right there. Of course the tortillas (corn or flour, your choice) are cooked right in front of each person, so everything is hot and fresh. There is a large variety of salsas to add to whatever food you may want, so each person can make their food as spicy as they want. Drooling already as I know how delicious this food is. We always hire a waiter for the day and he keeps everybodies drinks topped up and will even bring the food to the lazy ones.

OK, now some of you are thinking that this sounds hifalutin, hoity-toity, or grandiose, but it is not. This is Mexico and the normal way to party down here. Costs are not what you would encounter north of the border, so is very affordable. This gathering will cost less than US$300 in total for the rent of the tables, chairs, glasses, (glasses are returned dirty, so no washing neccessary) waiter, food etc. This cost is shared between the families, so is very affordable.

Howcum y'all are so shy to join in the break room yammerings? Over 51 readers so far and no comments? Don't let those couple of frequent posting crazies scare you away.
Old 11-27-2017, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Mexstan
Getting ready for the annual family Christmas gathering which always takes place the first Saturday of every December. As we are central to most of the family, our house is the gathering point for the folks that come from Guadalajara and Mexico City. They all stay at the local City Express, about a 6 minute drive from my house. Going to have over 30 people here on Saturday. The gathering and the meal always take place on the nice green lawn and our big terrace. It is catered (cooked on site) and the format is very different to what you do in America and Canada. Love it.
Yo baby - - - me wants to come toooooo - - ph00ey. ............................sounds like the makings of a great time together.

Taking daughter-in-law over to my wife and her sister and she is going to stay with the sis for the day. Wife has a loooong list of things to do and go buy today, so anxious to get out of there.

Let's see - - think I will do an Italian Roast coffee today - - never had that one. ..................

Gotta run. Have a gudurn.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:43 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Stan...save me a plate PLEASE!
Old 11-27-2017, 09:27 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Black Mondays matter...
Old 11-27-2017, 09:31 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
Stan...save me a plate PLEASE!

No problem. Well actually there is a problem. I do not deliver, so you will need to come down here to grab your overflowing plate.

Forgot to mention the variety of desserts that appear at these feasts. Nobody leaves hungry!
Old 11-28-2017, 05:19 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Sounds like a great party/feast/celebration Stanimal.

Lary its your turn to be the piñata.
Old 11-28-2017, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Scotty
Sounds like a great party/feast/celebration Stanimal.

Lary its your turn to be the piñata.
................................... ................................HORRORS - - - we might wack his LEGGS. .................

Nuther gorgeous morning has dawned - - heading out to nail about 8 miles on my bike. Then, head into the back bedroom/gym for a workout - - been slothful lately.

OK, see ya later.

Bobby
Old 11-28-2017, 08:26 AM

Received 2,385 Likes on 1,575 Posts
Nice cold morning with a bunch of fresh snow on the ground.
I am grabbing a hot black tea and off to stoke up the outdoor wood furnace.
Old 11-28-2017, 04:11 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by FiverBob
................................... ................................HORRORS - - - we might wack his LEGGS. .................
You are on the right track. That’s exactly what he wants and needs.
Old 11-28-2017, 04:40 PM
Admin Team Leader

No....no...no....the last time I was the pinata a perfectly good baseball bat was broken when they accidentally hit me in the head with the price of sporting goods climbing we can't afford that again.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:03 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Got up this morning with the intention of hitting it hard. Power company called about 8 am saying they were going to shut down my highline at 9 for up to 3 hours. I had just gotten a good fire going in the wood boiler. No power means boilover. Solution, turn up the thermostat in the house and open up the air supply on the boiler to use up the wood.

About 9, checking the boiler and noting that it was just about done using the wood, I heard some noise in the stack. Sure enough, good chimney fire going. Spent the next half hour walking around the wood shed/boiler room making sure none of the abundant sparks and embers were lighting anything on fire. Power still on, water available, all is good.

Fire burned out (Chimney's now clean) so I hopped in #2 truck and checked with the power line workers. They hadn't set up yet, and were planning to block the entire driveway, so I got past them and parked the truck on the road. Dual crew pole changing setup said they didn't need to shut off the power. I said we'd already secured everything and there was no danger of back feed, so pull the fuse and do it the easy way. They were thankful. Walked back to the house. (coupla football fields)

Just in time to receive a call from DW who had run over a rice burner with truck #1.
Parking lot goof up. Didn't hurt the CTD a bit, but it sure messed up the face on a late model Subaru. Poor gal (DW) was a bit upset, as was the owner of the Outback. Cop was nice.

Got to work, nothing going on, so fueled up #2, stopped to get DW some much needed flowers, stopped on the way home to get a couple of tons of gravel. Scaled with 6700 lbs of the stuff. Put it in the potholes in my drive with a sand shovel.

I need to get to bed. Maybe DW will give me a back rub.

I have to get down to one of Stan's parties some time. Sounds like fun.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by j_martin
Got up this morning with the intention of hitting it hard. Power company called about 8 am saying they were going to shut down my highline at 9 for up to 3 hours. I had just gotten a good fire going in the wood boiler. No power means boilover. Solution, turn up the thermostat in the house and open up the air supply on the boiler to use up the wood.
Mercy - - - you had quite day. Take the day off today - - you deserve it.

Packing up the daughter-in-law to go pick up son in Tampa airport and keep heading north back to Sapphire Valley. Hate to see them go - - we have fun with them around. Yeh, Sandy too - - the Collie - - she is fun to have around.

Heading to pick up wife for a few hours rest while friend stays with her sister. Quite a strain never knowing what sis is going to do at any time.

Making myself a ph00 while here and head out. Have a great day. Turn on Fox Business channel and smile - - market heading to 24,000 -- - - - - - - - great day yesterday - - - bring it on.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:09 PM

G'day. Was out the door at 05:30 this morning to help a family member. To early for a coffee, but caught up later. At that time even the sparrows are not ....... well, you know!

John, sounds like you were not bored.

Was just looking a this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ylY...ature=youtu.be Lary, isn't this in your area and was that you I saw in on of the shots pushing this idea?

Every morning my wife leaves the house at 05:40 to go swimming. A friend of hers who lives close to us meets up with my wife and they take turns which vehicle to use. Yesterday morning at 05:20 the phone rang and it was this woman crying to say that she was not going swimming as they had just found her husband non-responsive on the bathroom floor. Last week he turned 70. An ambulance was called, but it was too late. By nightfall all the paperwork had been completed and the body had already been cremated. Down here it is common to cremate a body the same day or no later than the next day. The moral of this sad story is that you never know when it is going to be your turn to die. Are you ready right now? You should be!
Old 11-29-2017, 05:14 PM
Admin Team Leader

Stan, wrong State I am in Beautiful West By God Virginia.....besides everybody knows the World is square

Quick Reply: Black Monday Breakroom 11/26 to 12/2