Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Other (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/other-94/)
-   -   Any A/C tech's here.Question on window Mtg a/c unit? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/other-94/any-c-techs-here-question-window-mtg-c-unit-156476/)

RoadDiesel 06-21-2007 06:21 AM

Any A/C tech's here.Question on window Mtg a/c unit?

..any a/c tech's on board? I have a 2 year window mount a/c..(GE) that I put in the kitchen recently, and the thing "Shakes" & virbrates.which now causes the surrounding window jam to buzz...lol .I stored it in a warm basement for the winter..It mostly shakes when the compresser is under power..Is a pulley bad? thanks in advance..

04ctd 06-21-2007 07:12 AM

didja take it apart?

that's my first answer to everything....

how big is it, prolly need more details.

have you run it long enough to settle it out?
tilted back and not fwd?

put a big towel or peice a foam under it & call it good?

scuzman00 06-21-2007 09:50 AM

Go to the local A/C supply store andg get you a Telespout Oiler. It is machine oil in a container with a 8-10" tube that extends from the oil container. Now look over the motor (both ends) for a really small plug (usually yellow or gray in color). Remove plug(s) and give it a liberal dose of oil (while spinning fan shaft) --UNPLUG unit before working on!!

It sounds like the fan bearings have gotten dry and is allowing the fan shaft to "wobble". As far as the compressor goes, they are sealed units which if any parts have or are going south, you can't fix.

Good Luck

Gary

BC847 06-21-2007 04:53 PM

While you've got the cover off looking for those oil plugs scuzman00 speaks of, go ahead and spray both coils with some Simple-Green or the like and flush them well with the garden hose. The goal being to drive out anything that might stop-up the coils. Be sure to get the indoor air blower wheel as well as some old dried-up snot may be throwing the wheel off balance. If you feel you've gotten a little water in the control section, just give the unit a couple of hours to dry and you should be good to go.

Be sure you've got the unit sitting square on the window sill so as not to have it pivoting on one corner. If you can get away with it, shove the unit to one side or the other of the window casing so as to afford the unit better (firmer) support.

Be sure there's a little tilt to the unit to allow the condensate to run toward the back of the unit. By design, the condensate will puddle under the rear (condenser) fan so as to be flung up and onto the rear coil. This aids in dumping the collected heat to the out of doors.

Don't be surprised to find the blower motor's bearings permanently lubricated. ;)

David

RoadDiesel 06-21-2007 05:54 PM

wow..!! Is there talent on this board or what..!! LOL [roll] I forgot to mention it is a GE 8,000 BTU unit..about a 1.5 year old, 110volt. thanks and I'll try what is suggested.

gunracer1 06-22-2007 10:41 AM

i bet there is something on one of the fans, like a dirt daubers nest or a rat nest in a squirill cage type fan. just pop the cover off and take a look at both fans. and do everything else that has been recomended.

RoadDiesel 06-24-2007 03:06 PM

OK..I found the problem..it was the "Fan Blade"..it appears the fan blade has a "Plastic 1/4 "Ring" that attaches to each "Blade" and surrounds the entire fan on the outside of the blade , and half of the ring had broken off some time, and the other half stayed on..causing the off balance..so for a quick fix, I cut rest of the plastic ring off the remaining blades..and now its very smooth with no more vibrations or buzzing...may have to order a new blade..and see if I can replace it w/o removing the freon...Oh those a/c units can really collect the dust in the inside condenser area..from now on,I'm going to clean mine every year before use..thanks everyone...RD

Oh yea ..now my wife thinks I'am a Genius [roll] ... lol

SoTexRattler 06-24-2007 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by scuzman00 (Post 1563565)
Go to the local A/C supply store andg get you a Telespout Oiler. It is machine oil in a container with a 8-10" tube that extends from the oil container. Now look over the motor (both ends) for a really small plug (usually yellow or gray in color). Remove plug(s) and give it a liberal dose of oil (while spinning fan shaft) --UNPLUG unit before working on!!

It sounds like the fan bearings have gotten dry and is allowing the fan shaft to "wobble". As far as the compressor goes, they are sealed units which if any parts have or are going south, you can't fix.

Good Luck

Gary

Like Scuzman says, oil the daylights out of the fan brgs...

While you have the cover off, check the bottom of the compressor mounting plate. The comp is usually mounted to the bottom of the case with some black rubber doughnuts over the mounting studs that are there to absorb vibration from the sealed compressor. If mice have chewed them up or they have come undone from a "shock" from being dropped, the compressor housing may be touching the case causing the buzzing. The other likely thing that may have happened is the copper tubing to/from the compressor is rubbing against the case. Sometimes when they build these A/C's they put some tar-like pookie or foam tape in tight spots to keep it from rubbing. It could have dried up and dropped out of the right spot allowing the tubing to transfer the compressor vibes to the case via the tubing.

Good luck...
K.