Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Another question for the 'spurts here.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 11:56 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
Another question for the 'spurts here.

I have a portable generator that is constantly dripping fuel from the on/off valve where it attaches to the fuel tank. Bought a new valve and grommet and that worked well for a few months until the grommet got hard, then back to drip, drip, drip. Pulled everything apart and installed the valve with lots of JB Quick. That lasted for about 3 months and then overnight it started a fast drip. What a mess! Looks like nothing sticks to the 'plastic' tank.

Any suggestions what sealant I can use that is permanently fuel resistant and also will seal to the plastic?
Old 09-19-2017, 11:42 AM

Received 414 Likes on 316 Posts
Search bulkhead fittings for plastic tanks. Something there may suit your needs.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:58 AM

Received 414 Likes on 316 Posts
Plan "B", make your own. Find a bolt of sufficient diameter and length and some flat fuel resistant sealing material. Drill a hole down the middle of the bolt. Cut your sealing material in the shape of a washer to fit the diameter of the bolt. Place seal on bolt, place bolt through hole in tank from the inside, tighten nut down on bolt, then remove the excess threads from the end of the bolt to form a tube to slip your fuel line on.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:35 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
Thanks Coug for the suggestions. That is exactly what I have been considering doing. For months now have been checking with the various small engine parts suppliers in my area looking for a screw in or clamping type fuel valve, but so far have not found an engine/generator/pump setup that has this. Been scouting around for something suitable to make my own bulkhead fitting and am close to doing this. Have a few AN and MS bulkhead fittings, but none to fit into a 9/16 hole. Will be working on this later today, so hopefully by tomorrow will have this issue resolved.