Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Advice on welding hydraulic cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 03:16 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
when the cylinder body is welded my the manufacturer, they will pre-heat the body, do the weld, wrap it up to slowly cool, then post weld stress relieve the body.

This is the same reason Dodge/Ram frowns on welding to the frames on the new trucks even tho all their brackets are welded in place.
Old 06-21-2014, 06:14 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by Fronty Owner
when the cylinder body is welded my the manufacturer, they will pre-heat the body, do the weld, wrap it up to slowly cool, then post weld stress relieve the body.

This is the same reason Dodge/Ram frowns on welding to the frames on the new trucks even tho all their brackets are welded in place.

Wow, that's amazing. The carbon steel pressure vessels I'm familiar with, unless they're for an extreme and dangerous service such as steam power plant service, don't get all that. Most get welded with whatever process is appropriate, usually sub-arc, then sometimes post weld heat treated, and X-ray, ultrasound, dye-penetrant, etc inspection. Of course metal is tracked, everything's documented, etc. Paperwork is immense.

I highly doubt that farm store grade wood splitter cylinders get any of it.

I'm not a mechanical engineer, but I work on the electronics involved at a world class tank manufacturer, so I'm around it a lot. They have a rail car bottom heat treatment facility that'll do everything from rocket nose cones to a tank, 18' in diameter, about 125' long, 600,000 lbs, to over 2000°.
Old 06-21-2014, 07:09 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Originally Posted by j_martin
Wow, that's amazing. The carbon steel pressure vessels I'm familiar with, unless they're for an extreme and dangerous service such as steam power plant service, don't get all that. Most get welded with whatever process is appropriate, usually sub-arc, then sometimes post weld heat treated, and X-ray, ultrasound, dye-penetrant, etc inspection. Of course metal is tracked, everything's documented, etc. Paperwork is immense.

I highly doubt that farm store grade wood splitter cylinders get any of it.

I'm not a mechanical engineer, but I work on the electronics involved at a world class tank manufacturer, so I'm around it a lot. They have a rail car bottom heat treatment facility that'll do everything from rocket nose cones to a tank, 18' in diameter, about 125' long, 600,000 lbs, to over 2000°.
It depends on the metals used. carbon steel (A106B or A105 modified forgings) dont usually require a post weld heat treatment. Heat the moisture out of the metal and weld it. We use it on low pressure and structural stuff. When you start talking 5000 to 15000 PSI, its low alloy steel, that has a yield strength that is 3 times that of carbon steel.
MTR, weld maps, PQR, WPS, and a cert for anyone that even glanced at the part is usually included in the product file.

farm store grade wood splitters still use off the shelf cylinders. they may be using carbon steel, they may also be using low alloy to simplify their inventory and limit confusion during manufacture.
Old 06-21-2014, 08:02 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Im pretty good with JB Weld. If JB Weld wont fix it, I will pitch it.
Old 06-21-2014, 09:39 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by Fronty Owner
It depends on the metals used. carbon steel (A106B or A105 modified forgings) dont usually require a post weld heat treatment. Heat the moisture out of the metal and weld it. We use it on low pressure and structural stuff. When you start talking 5000 to 15000 PSI, its low alloy steel, that has a yield strength that is 3 times that of carbon steel.
MTR, weld maps, PQR, WPS, and a cert for anyone that even glanced at the part is usually included in the product file.

farm store grade wood splitters still use off the shelf cylinders. they may be using carbon steel, they may also be using low alloy to simplify their inventory and limit confusion during manufacture.
Most wood splitters run a 2 stage system, 600-700 psi till it hits a hard spot, then 2000-3000 psi for the grunt work. No where near 5000 psi.
Old 06-22-2014, 07:39 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
I guess all that don't matter if I ram another log into it, maybe I'll make a braket to hold the body somewhere else.