Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

3rd Gen HEMI vs. Cummins

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 12:04 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
3rd Gen HEMI vs. Cummins

Hello;

I've been tossing around the idea of getting a newer truck than the one in my signature. I'd like a 3rd gen quad cab; as my growing family won't fit in the 2nd gen quad cab all that much longer. (2 kids no more, but they are growing)

I don't really want to sell my truck, but there is a guy at work offering me more than double what it is worth, so it's really got me leaning towards selling.

Whatever I get, I want to pay cash; not looking for a payment.

The next town over there is a 2009 Quad Cab 4x4 2500 for sale, but with the 5.7 HEMI engine. What has my attention is the truck is very low miles for the year (under 80k). Also, for what the guy is offering for my 2nd gen I could pay cash for this one.

I know it won't be the same as a Cummins, but I'd like to hear thoughts on a truck like this. It has the 3.73 gears and it's a Laramie so lots of nice options.

I don't tow heavy very often. I do have a 20' flatbed (bumper pull) trailer. Once every other year I might haul a car on it.

The most frequent "heavy" load I pull on this trailer is my tractor (M5030SU Kubota, with Bush hog front-loader). According to tractordata.com and talking to bush-hog the combined weight of these two is about 6000 lbs. Assuming my trailer weighs 2k; that brings my trailer load to 8000 lbs. I only haul this thing 1-2 times per year.

Any thoughts? Will I regret losing my old Cummins? Or will I like the HEMI more? FYI --- Gas is more than $1/gallon cheaper than diesel in my location right now.

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

--Matt

Old 01-14-2019, 12:47 PM

Received 365 Likes on 272 Posts
You'll first need to be very, very sure you won't experience any trauma over lost "diesel love"...The money is nice, but will your heart understand and forgive you...When I lost my beloved 2003 Dodge/Cummins, I at first thought I could be happy driving my Hemi Challenger...But it just wasn't the same...I'm back in another Dodge/Cummins now......Ben
Old 01-14-2019, 04:40 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Financially it is a sound move.....gas is cheaper, maintenance is cheaper and frankly unless you tow heavy and often you are losing money. If I didn't tow heavy I would be driving a gasser myself.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:26 PM

Thank you both for your feedback. Given the chance I think I'll make the switch

Larry --- do you know of a forum that would be on-par with this one, but tailored for the gas-trucks?

Fordzilla --- I agree I might miss my Cummins. I actually plan on getting another 2nd gen years down the road. By the time I get my shop built out back my kids will probably be on their own. lol. Then I can do a 2nd gen the right way
Old 01-15-2019, 10:05 AM

Received 414 Likes on 316 Posts
Look into the cost of maintenance, gas vs diesel. Diesel is the same price as reg ul around here so the only thing to compare there is fuel mileage.
Old 01-30-2019, 12:42 PM

OK; I have narrowed my selection to 3 trucks for sale around here. Can I get your opinions? (The 2009 HEMI truck I mentioned earlier has been sold, i missed it)

Truck 1:

2004.5 Quad Cab 2500 4x4 Auto CUMMINS; 143,xxx miles; stock exhaust and intake, does have a Smarty Jr programmer on it. Interior is good, no real rust to speak of but lots of nicks/dings. SLT model with power windows/mirrors, but manual seats, aftermarket radio. Runs and drives good but was fairly oily underneath; appears to possibly be the oil-fill cap not having a gasket letting oil escape and run down side of engine. I could not find the lift pump (is it in the tank?). Engine oil is EXTREMELY BLACK even though he has a receipt for an oil change that was completed 300 miles ago. Has a few minor issues like hood prop shocks not working, fog lights broken with wires hanging down, etc...

Truck 2:

2003 Quad Cab 4x4 Auto CUMMINS: 183,xxx miles. No real rust to speak of, "hot rod truck" with some sort of CAI and exhaust upgrade: Air filter looks crushed, would replace CAI with a well-known brand, also had a round thing labelled "diablosport" underhood ("power puck?"). Transmission looks to have been replaced, it is purple in color and is clearly marked "ATS". Runs and drives well, really gets up and goes, shifts very quickly and firm. Tan interior (yuck), drivers seat really ripped up but otherwise OK inside. Hood prop shocks not working; has aftermarket wheels and tonneau-cover. Engine oil and trans fluid appear to be in good condition. Truck is RED, not my favorite but I could adjust, looks good with the aftermarket wheels

Truck 3:

2008 Quad Cab 4x4 AUTO HEMI 2500, Big Horn SLT package: 140,xxx miles. No rust at all, extremely clean truck; has service records; everything works as it should (including hood prop shocks). Is that gun-metal grey which I like the best. The only deviation from factory on this truck is a Magnflow cat-back exhaust. Sound good but not too loud. This truck needs absolutely nothing, turn key and go.

The price point on all these is close. Both diesels are asking $2-3K more than the HEMI truck, even though the HEMI truck is newer. I have not yet tried to haggle on the prices yet either.

I'm really torn on this. So far I'm leaning towards the Hemi truck since it is newer and the cleanest of them all. But I worry I will miss the Cummins power.

Thoughts?
Old 02-03-2019, 08:09 AM

UPDATE::

I put a down payment on a 2003 Cummins!!!!! I am seriously excited!!! It has 226,xxx miles but it is in excellent shape! Absolutely NO RUST!! No tuner, stock air intake; unmolested truck (for now)

It also has a hidden 5th wheel hookup and airbags on the rear. MRBP exhaust is the only non-stock thing I can find.

I don't take delivery for about another week, when I do I'll post pictures and ask for recommendations on upgrades.
Old 02-03-2019, 08:32 AM

Received 365 Likes on 272 Posts
Originally Posted by mattn124
UPDATE::

I put a down payment on a 2003 Cummins!!!!! I am seriously excited!!! It has 226,xxx miles but it is in excellent shape!
Good for you!...I looked a long time for a replacement for my late, lamented 2003, and came up empty...But I am very happy so far with the 2009 I did find......Ben