Off Road / 4x4 OffRoad discussion, along with 4x4 events and information.

Winch questions.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 09:46 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Also, the Ruenel factory was only 40miles from my house at the time so I got to see the operation and talk to them face to face. Basically, it was a deal where they made their stuff compatible with Warn, so if you used something else and didn't like the fit, they could disclaim it.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:58 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
Update

I installed a 12,000 pound Mile Marker hydraulic winch. Have not used it very much yet, but so far it is working great. Last week I used it for some very heavy loads (winching out complete trees) and even after over 30 minutes of continuous use it was still going strong. An electric winch just would not do this.
The only problem I had was the the plug for the remote fell apart after the first use and the rubber plug MM supplies for this was too small and kept on falling out. I cut the whole thing off and used a male/female trailer plug and that works just fine.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mexstan
Update

I installed a 12,000 pound Mile Marker hydraulic winch. Have not used it very much yet, but so far it is working great. Last week I used it for some very heavy loads (winching out complete trees) and even after over 30 minutes of continuous use it was still going strong. An electric winch just would not do this.
The only problem I had was the the plug for the remote fell apart after the first use and the rubber plug MM supplies for this was too small and kept on falling out. I cut the whole thing off and used a male/female trailer plug and that works just fine.
I had that problem w/ my MM electric, PITA
Old 10-30-2008, 06:53 AM

is the MM as slow as everyone says it is?
Old 10-30-2008, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by LanceD
The cheap electric winches are as slow as any other brands cheap electric winch. 5 ft under load and 20 ft no load.
The hydraulic winches are 2 speed, slow for winching around 5 ft. per minute and high for cable retrievel, around 50 ft per minute. You can't winch on high speed.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:03 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hydraulics are great, but you won't find me running one that needs the engine to be running. I have had to use my winch before when the engine wont start. My truck would have been stranded with a hydraulic, but with the electric it got us back to spare parts.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by LanceD
Hydraulic is, electric isnt to bad
Old 12-02-2008, 11:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ah64id
Hydraulics are great, but you won't find me running one that needs the engine to be running. I have had to use my winch before when the engine wont start. My truck would have been stranded with a hydraulic, but with the electric it got us back to spare parts.
It was really not far between "stranded" and "rescued" I guess if it was within the reach of an electric winch pull... what is that, 10 feet? Once the electric is done, can't start the engine either, batteries are flat.
I don't understand the value of high cable speed in winches, when I am recovering slow and low is Ok with me. Fast is not good, things can go wrong too quickly.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulDaisy
It was really not far between "stranded" and "rescued" I guess if it was within the reach of an electric winch pull... what is that, 10 feet? Once the electric is done, can't start the engine either, batteries are flat.
I don't understand the value of high cable speed in winches, when I am recovering slow and low is Ok with me. Fast is not good, things can go wrong too quickly.
In the case I had the starter died... We had to get back to camp, which was 5 miles away.. and all but several hundred feet was downhill. So we coasted, and winched when we needed. The truck had a dual battery setup and lasted the entire time. So the truck got back to camp, off the single track road, and we were able to continue on while we waited for a starter to arrive... A hydraulic would have been useless, the truck would have stayed on the hill, and blocked the road.

10 feet? I have over 125' of rope on my electric winch, thats a lot to pull, and I have never needed to pull that far.

On my current truck my winch is in a basket, so now I can move it front or rear and use it. Something not as easy on a hydraulic.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:26 AM

i like the idea of running a hydro winch on my truck as all my warn atv winches have never been "big" enough for the emergencies ive been in. I have thought about how i would attach it to the rear if i wanted something i could move around. How about running hoses to the back and getting quick connections just like a tractor. I dont know if this will work but its an idea. would be heavy though.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by jondeere0405
i like the idea of running a hydro winch on my truck as all my warn atv winches have never been "big" enough for the emergencies ive been in. I have thought about how i would attach it to the rear if i wanted something i could move around. How about running hoses to the back and getting quick connections just like a tractor. I dont know if this will work but its an idea. would be heavy though.

Sure! they make quick connects.

Hydro is heavy duty better for extended pulls and electric is light duty better for short pulls.

Hydro is slow and good for long hard pulls with no surprises.
Electric is better for offroading. Usually just need a quick 1-10' pull off a rock or log and you want a fast line speed to get the group moving again quickly.
Its great if the line speed is faster than low range you can just idle in low and let the winch wind in fast and tight.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jondeere0405
I have thought about how i would attach it to the rear if i wanted something i could move around. How about running hoses to the back and getting quick connections just like a tractor.
You would want the Milemarker with the separate solenoid, the 70 series I think. 75 series have the solenoid on the winch. With the 70 series, you can mount the solenoid under the hood and run hoses back that do not normally carry flowing fluid. Only when you have the winch hooked up and solenoid On, would you have flow. They sell zero-volume quick connects that would be perfect for making this work.
I on the other hand am in the middle of setting up a MM hydraulic under the truck, non-removable and will post pictures and a report once I am finished.
Old 12-11-2008, 03:37 PM

I have rarely used my winch for self recovery. Always end up hooking to someone else as first option. I have recovered a few people though.

Jeff