Off Road / 4x4 OffRoad discussion, along with 4x4 events and information.

Whoa!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 04:56 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whoa!

Man, me and a few of my buddies went offroading out in Ocotillo, CA on a moderate trail...well the trail wasn't very "moderate" at all...it was more like easy...so we decided to go OFF the trail for a bit to see what kind of stuff we could "get into"...well "get into" it was RIGHT! My heavy girl and skinny BFGs dang near got me stuck out there in that sand. We were about 9 miles out in the middle of NOWHERE and none of those gassers that were with us could have pulled me out, so I put her in 4lo and creeped out as SLOWLY as I possibly could TRYING to avoid all 4 wheel hop, but it was IMPOSSIBLE...sure am glad that nothing got broken...sheesh, just goes to show that if you want to play in the sand, you need some lift and some FAT offroading tires...
Old 07-21-2007, 05:19 PM

That's why the truck stays hooked to the trailer when I go to Ocotillo......

Bet it was Africa hot out there....
Old 07-21-2007, 05:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Cowhand
That's why the truck stays hooked to the trailer when I go to Ocotillo......

Bet it was Africa hot out there....
About 105*...during that little "venture" off the trail, my trans AND engine temps BOTH got to 245 for about 3-5 minutes straight...REALLY glad I got out of there in one piece. Wonder which one of those folks I decided to go offroading with decided that Ocotillo was an "ok" spot for TRUCKS...would have been a BLAST with an ATV or something of that sort...I'll never take my truck out there again.
Old 07-21-2007, 05:44 PM

So does that mean this would be out of the question????

Bob
Old 07-21-2007, 08:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bob4x4
So does that mean this would be out of the question????

Bob
Until I get some tires and perhaps a little aftermarket suspension components on, that's gonna have to be a "yes"...The sand that I was in was different than the sand that ya'll are in though...it was VERY loose...grainier...and when you drove through it, it packed in around your tires. I don't know how to explain it really, but the first time I got out to assess the situation, my front tires were buried almost to the center cap and when I crawled out, I was experiencing some serious wheel hop that was 100% unavoidable. I blame most of it on me having a 7000+lb truck out in the sand with 265 BFGs rather than a good, WIDE tire.

Don't get me wrong...it SURELY is a good time, but today after getting my temps up to 245* crawling along and hoping to GOD I didn't end up stuck, I don't think I want to take my chances again until my truck is better equipped.
Old 07-21-2007, 09:12 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bet you were panacking I know how it feels. Got mine buried in mud the second week I had it on the 265 michelins.

Even with wider tires these trucks really don't need to be in those conditions.

Research axle wrap if you want to know what happened. What it does is the rearend tries to climb up the leaf spring and can't overcome it so it keeps popping back down. Then it can resonate causing it to be worse.... And on top of that I bet that sand contributed to it pretty harshly. See people in sports cars or 2wd truck on the beach all the time doing this. It's like duh, don't get into the soft stuff is what I think .

And yeah, loose sand will definately contribute to overheating... But man I wish I lived by the desert sometimes. I can't get 10 feet off road around here without hitting brush.
Old 07-21-2007, 09:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Joe T
I bet you were panacking I know how it feels. Got mine buried in mud the second week I had it on the 265 michelins.

Even with wider tires these trucks really don't need to be in those conditions.

Research axle wrap if you want to know what happened. What it does is the rearend tries to climb up the leaf spring and can't overcome it so it keeps popping back down. Then it can resonate causing it to be worse.... And on top of that I bet that sand contributed to it pretty harshly. See people in sports cars or 2wd truck on the beach all the time doing this. It's like duh, don't get into the soft stuff is what I think .

And yeah, loose sand will definately contribute to overheating... But man I wish I lived by the desert sometimes. I can't get 10 feet off road around here without hitting brush.
Basically, when my temps started soaring the truck started hopping and BARELY inching forward the only thing going through my mind was "I hope something doesn't break...and if it does break, how much is it going to cost me to get a tow rig down in the middle of nowhere in Ocotillo and then take me back to San Diego..." Luckily, things turned out ok...
Old 07-21-2007, 09:39 PM
Banned

By the way, what is the cure, if any for axle wrap?
Old 07-21-2007, 09:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by $oC@l CTD
Basically, when my temps started soaring the truck started hopping and BARELY inching forward the only thing going through my mind was "I hope something doesn't break...and if it does break, how much is it going to cost me to get a tow rig down in the middle of nowhere in Ocotillo and then take me back to San Diego..." Luckily, things turned out ok...
Yeah, I know the freakout feeling and thinking something is causing a problem even though it isn't . But it overheating has nothing to do with wheel hop as you know!
Old 07-21-2007, 10:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by $oC@l CTD
By the way, what is the cure, if any for axle wrap?
Ok there are a few solutions. The first is the classic traction bar. I wouldn't recommend and I don't think anyone runs these on this site I've seen? They also take up a good bit of clearance and probably would have had you hung up and stuck today in the situation you were in.

Another is you need to look into rear springs $$ or leaf packs if you're not rich. To find anything you'd probably need to do a whole lift kit such as what I have.

One thing (the main thing on these trucks IMO) that exacerbates wheel hop in the rear is "lift blocks" and to a certain extent the factory overloads since they act as a lift block essentially if no load is on the truck. Your stock rear suspension has about 1.75 inches of rear lift attributed to lift blocks + whatever the overloads offer. My aftermarket leaf packs (and I think others) get rid of 2 lift blocks (or 1.25 inches of lift blocks) and the overloads. But they also lift the rear so you'd need to do the whole suspension so it will sit right. Also with extra leaves they can act more like traction bars without the loss of clearance.

With my leaf packs I don't have to worry about loss of load capability. That's why I bought them, they give me a little extra umph of lift compared to the Deaver springs most everyone else uses (I believe). They gave me 1.25 inches of complete lift over stock and I don't have the troublesome factory lift blocks or overload springs.

Even though the Deaver springs for my truck wouldn't fit my intended usage IMO... they make good springs, I just think the ones lorenz uses are better for me. We're actually getting some deaver springs for my brothers 07 tacoma to combat wheel hop.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Joe T
Ok there are a few solutions. The first is the classic traction bar. I wouldn't recommend and I don't think anyone runs these on this site I've seen? They also take up a good bit of clearance and probably would have had you hung up and stuck today in the situation you were in.

Another is you need to look into rear springs $$ or leaf packs if you're not rich. To find anything you'd probably need to do a whole lift kit such as what I have.

One thing (the main thing on these trucks IMO) that exacerbates wheel hop in the rear is "lift blocks" and to a certain extent the factory overloads since they act as a lift block essentially if no load is on the truck. Your stock rear suspension has about 1.75 inches of rear lift attributed to lift blocks + whatever the overloads offer. My aftermarket leaf packs (and I think others) get rid of 2 lift blocks (or 1.25 inches of lift blocks) and the overloads. But they also lift the rear so you'd need to do the whole suspension so it will sit right. Also with extra leaves they can act more like traction bars without the loss of clearance.

With my coil packs I don't have to worry about loss of load capability. That's why I bought them, they give me a little extra umph of lift compared to the Deaver springs most everyone else uses (I believe). They gave me 1.25 inches of complete lift over stock and I don't have the troublesome factory lift blocks or overload springs.

Even though the Deaver springs for my truck wouldn't fit my intended usage IMO... they make good springs, I just think the ones lorenz uses are better for me. We're actually getting some deaver springs for my brothers 07 tacoma to combat wheel hop.
Very cool...I appreciate this write up. One more question in regards...does your setup sit level or is your rear still a little higher than the front like stock? Because I would prefer it to NOT be level so when I tow I don't sag a bunch...thanks again
Old 07-21-2007, 10:25 PM
Banned

These pics were taken in the same place/time. Sits about 1/2 to 3/4 inch higher in the back, not as drastic as stock but I'm personally not worried about it and plan to tow a lot. I can always add bags if its a biggie.

I see your truck is set up with 4.10s... I'd definately go with some 325 tires or 35x12.50 if you lift it. It will be a nice set up.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:29 PM
Banned

Another thing I forgot to mention about the overloads since I was talking to someone when writing that.. Is that they can cause it to bounce, bounce, bounce... Componding the wheel hop as well.

Factory rear springs are not at all set up for something like you described in the OP.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:46 PM
Banned

Also, I wouldn't want to steer you wrong. Since that suspension system does nothing to address the trackbar you'd either need a drop bracket or adjustable trackbar to complete the lift properly.