Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Off Road / 4x4 (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/off-road-4x4-111/)
-   -   Opinions/Experience - Razor MX500 Dirt Rocket Electric Motocross Bike (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/off-road-4x4-111/opinions-experience-razor-mx500-dirt-rocket-electric-motocross-bike-317632/)

Neal Cassady 04-29-2014 12:40 PM

Opinions/Experience - Razor MX500 Dirt Rocket Electric Motocross Bike

Title says it all.

My 13 yo daughter wants to start riding a dirt bike, of course I'll have to get two, my 11 yo daughter
will want to ride as well. Would be good for them to ride together also.

I think this may be the way to go:

Safe(r) way to learn and get some experience
See if she really enjoys it
Don't have to maintain two more engines (I have enough)
Most used small dirt bikes around here are $$$$ and ridden hard
and put away wet.
Glad she isn't interested in horse$$$$$, quite a few of her
classmates ride

Any opinions, advice, experienced welcome.

Thanks,
Neal

HMX-1 04-29-2014 11:57 PM

The 40 minute run time and 8 hour recharge time would be the only pain in the rear I see with this, and leads me to believe you might have to grab some extra battery packs and chargers.

I know you don't want to maintain more engines, but there are a few gas powered 49cc to 110cc dirt bikes that:

- Have built in governors so you can limit the speed down to 9 MPH up or as high as 45 MPH.

- Are in the same price range as the electrics.

- Have the ability to grow with your girls, where the electrics might not.

A quick interwebs search shows that Yamaha might have something you'd like with their PW50, TT-R50, and maybe even the YZ85 (or even an older YZ80).

There's a brand called KTX as well, and the gokartusa website has a few bikes you might want to look at, too.

-Kris

Neal Cassady 04-30-2014 06:03 AM

Thanks, good advice, whatever I buy needs to have clutchless shifting, learning to ride will be hard enough without trying to master shifting gears.

Thanks,
Neal

HMX-1 04-30-2014 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by Neal Cassady (Post 3235054)
Thanks, good advice, whatever I buy needs to have clutchless shifting, learning to ride will be hard enough without trying to master shifting gears.

Thanks,
Neal

I saw a couple 4 speed automatics during the search, I think the PW50 and/or the TT-R50 both had that.

Neal Cassady 04-30-2014 06:36 AM

I looked at a PW50, very small, suitable for 5 to 8 year olds.

My local Yamaha dealer has a newer used PW110 for around 1200. I thinking a mechanically sound used bike is the way to go, no need for new, I'm sure it will be put down and run into trees and such many times.

Thanks,
Neal

Neal Cassady 05-20-2014 11:34 AM

Went with the private owner, TTR110, 2008, looked new, $900 with the optional clutch kit. My daughter is riding the wheels off it. She will be ready to more up to a 125 before summer is over. Should be able to sell it for close to what I paid for it. Nice bike, it's a torquey little SOB.

Thanks,
Neal

jstone44720 05-20-2014 12:47 PM

When she moves up, look hard at the honda CRF150 bikes - there is a version that has electric start, and are plenty fun to ride even for adults.

Neal Cassady 05-20-2014 01:41 PM

The Honda CRF's are nice bikes, wouldn't mind having a CRF 230 for myself. I look a little silly riding around on the TTR110, sort of like a bear in the circus. Guy that was selling the TTR110 also had a TTR125, nice looking bike. I could see her moving up to that within a year.

Neal