Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Off Road / 4x4 (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/off-road-4x4-111/)
-   -   Ladder bars? What ladder bars? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/off-road-4x4-111/ladder-bars-what-ladder-bars-170981/)

dieselcarpenter 09-26-2007 02:44 PM

Ladder bars? What ladder bars?

At what point would adding ladder bars/panhard/ or trac bars be neccesary for an all leaf spring truck like my 91 w250? My plan is to be able to run 35"s, (maybe), and enough lift to let them travel properly. I want the truck to be all purpose. tow/haul, camping/off-road (mild stuff, not trying to keep up with jeeps on the rocks, more exploration, safari type 4x4), highway/ in-town, and impressing the imports down at the local hangout[laugh]. If I stay leaf sprung, do I need any thing else. limit straps, ladder bars, etc., I want to use full lift springs and not spacers. Any advice?

TAS 09-27-2007 02:39 PM

Ladder bars are for wheel hop issues. When you get on it, the axle tries to rotate and it starts to wrap the spring.

XLR8R 09-30-2007 11:30 AM

Traction bars control spring wrap on Hotchkiss-style suspensions, reduce body sway and driveline clunk, and limit wheelhop when launching or just driving on washboard roads.

Check out the Bomb Factory: http://lazarsmith.com/tractionbars.html

RowJ 10-01-2007 09:59 AM

My Lazarsmith bars do a lot more than just control wheel hop!
They improve handling (light or heavy) on rough roads and control sway when loaded heavy or towing!

Good read on these bars.....HERE

RJ

SmokenRam 10-02-2007 06:05 PM

Here's mine i made. Prob not what your looking for. But they look good on lifted trucks!!

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...74_47_full.jpg

cameroneod 10-02-2007 08:22 PM

^^^^

Those suckers are SHARP. You did a great job.

skynyrd 10-02-2007 08:45 PM

hey smoken can you post some other pictures of your setup you made.

XLR8R 10-02-2007 09:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My son & I made these: Attachment 15904

SmokenRam 10-06-2007 01:31 PM

hey smoken can you post some other pictures of your setup you made.
Yeah, i'll try and get some more pic's soon

dieselcarpenter 10-15-2007 12:40 AM

So, do I need trac or ladder bars? I don't plan on lift beyond 4" and 35" tires. As far as horse power and torque go I don't plan on anything wild, whatever intake, exhaust, pump mods, 12-16 cm housing, will get me. I want to be able to cruise the highway at speed, tow, blow smoke at some Hondas, and do medium offroad without hanging up to badly.

My questions are:

When do I need bars?

Trac bars (above spring), or ladder bars (below spring)?

Based on my current goals, any more advice?

DodgerDoob 10-15-2007 11:41 AM

I wonder the same thing. I'd put them on just for looks, but that kind of goes against my thinking. But If I might need them, thats different.

XLR8R 10-15-2007 11:59 AM

Our traction bars mount from under the axle tubes to the frame, and they are only needed if you want the engine's torque to get to the ground instead of bending the springs.

RowJ 10-15-2007 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by dieselcarpenter (Post 1741328)
So, do I need trac or ladder bars? I don't plan on lift beyond 4" and 35" tires. As far as horse power and torque go I don't plan on anything wild, whatever intake, exhaust, pump mods, 12-16 cm housing, will get me. I want to be able to cruise the highway at speed, tow, blow smoke at some Hondas, and do medium offroad without hanging up to badly.

My questions are:

When do I need bars?

Trac bars (above spring), or ladder bars (below spring)?

Based on my current goals, any more advice?

NEED doesn't really enter the equation...IMO. Just as it doesn't for injectors...chips... etc.
The only CTD's I know that 'need' traction bars are all sled pullers and serious drag racers!
And both mount below springs in most cases....with some ladder bars mounting above AND below the axle.
My bars mount to bottom on axle/spring U-bolts (2nd Gen).

But if interested in improved handling on rough roads or when cornering or towing.... and good looks, the bars do a great job!! :D

RJ

dieselcarpenter 10-15-2007 11:46 PM

I was under the impression (maybe wrong [duhhh]) that a "trac" bar mounted in place of the upper spring plate and to the frame, and that "ladder" bars were the ones under or infront of the axel (and some times look like ladders [laugh]). Is there a difference? Which version would be best for my goal? Both control axel wrap, beyond that all I can see is that the lower mount would find rocks alot faster. Do either version limit suspension flex/ articulation? If I make them my self how important is the length/ geometry/ mount location etc??

XLR8R 10-16-2007 09:28 AM

Ladder bars are rotationally locked to the axle housings, while traction bars positively locate the axle housings in relation to the frame.

Depending on the design used, either style can be packaged smaller or larger than the other. I've seen a bunch that compromise articulation and suspension flex.

Whether you make them yourself or not, of course the key is choosing the correct materials, swingarm radius, bracket style and location, etc.