Off Road / 4x4 OffRoad discussion, along with 4x4 events and information.

Im still trying to figure out what winch I need

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im still trying to figure out what winch I need

I tow a lot of junk cars and am looking at a good winch setup, The winch will only be used in short intervals, as I dont off road. And will be mounted on my trailer. I also do not mind using a ****** block if I have too(speed isnt a concern) I was looking at the MM 12k electric winch, but im hearing mixed thoughts.

I am also trying to fing info about a hydraulic winch setup, using an electric motor driven pump. I saw the gas powered ones, but its too much for me.

Does anyone have info about the above hydraulic, or will the electric 12k MM work for me? I only winch for periods of about 10-15 min. at a time. At most 1 time a day.

I have used my old hand crank winch for the past few years, and other than having to hand-crank it out. I dont mind it, but it gets old after a while.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:58 PM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
A 12k winch is way overkill just to tow cars onto a trailer!! A 2k or 3k winch will do that just fine. A 12k winch will drag a couple cars at a time with no wheels on them! Even if you do have to drag cars that won't roll, an 8k electric winch will have absolutely no trouble at all doing this and will cost much less, weigh much less and draw less power. For this application where the winch is mounted on the trailer, I would skip going the hydraulic route as it will add needless cost and complication to the installation......a separate electric power pack for the hydro winch that will flow high enough to allow the winch to operate witha a reasonable line speed really won't draw much less electrical power than a comparable electric winch. The only way I can see that a trailer mounted hydro winch would work well is if you had a PTO driven pump with remotes with quick connects coming off the back of the truck to power the winch. The cost of this would likely be similar to that of a 12v electric power pack.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:50 PM

I have a 4500 winch on my tilt bed trailer and it isn't enough, I have to use a ****** block to pull any thing bigger than a small car! Just remember a winch is rated strongest on the 1st wrap, and a bout 1/4 on the last wrap. The last wrap is where I usually am when trying to get a car on. I have a 9000 winch on the big trailer and it works good, only had to ****** a big dump truck on.
The MM is a good winch for what you want, the 8000 would be big enough for most but the hardest pulls, always ****** them, or better yet for only a few $$$ you can get the 12000 and never have to worry. The hydraulic is very good but will cost you twice what the electric will!!

I recomened a MM 8000 or bigger with a remote!! You can sit in the car and steer while you winch yourself on!!!
Old 12-11-2005, 09:26 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is a boat load of affordable winch's on the market today, all u need is probably one in the 8-9000# range nothing fancy. Ramsey or Warn come to mind and the new kid on the block is Tmax and they are pretty cheap. Buy a 4x4 mag and look at all the ads for one.
scotte
Old 12-14-2005, 08:23 PM

The gooseneck car hauler I pull from time to time has a Warn 8274 on it. While this winch is rated at 8k it will pull more than that and has a tremendous line speed. The setup I use has a battery on board as well as a charging system to keep things up to snuff. The best thing about the 8274 (other than speed) is that it is relatively efficient on the AMPs draw. The xd9000i on my jeep will NOT outpull my 8274, but is cost less and is a lot easier to mount on a jeep!

Jason
On the other hand I do hear a LOT of good stuff about "Champion" winches sold at Sams Club, the 8k winch can be had for $299 here, I think they even throw in a universal mount! You might want to take a look at this thread on a jeep forum, there is a lot of discussion on this subject.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...+freight+winch
Old 12-14-2005, 11:20 PM

I'd get something like a warn m800 (can be had used fairly inexpensive). I have heard good things about the t-max as well. For what you're doing you don't need that 100' or so cable, so if you need just a little more umph you could shorten the cable some. For how little you are using the winch hydraulic is way overkill, and would be a major pain to set up. The only real advantage of getting a hydraulic is when you use the winch a lot (pulling stumps or a tow truck) or if you're like me and have a bunch of dumb friends that think their jeeps can go anywhere.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:53 AM

almost every rollback car carrier is equipped w/ a 8 or 9K planetary gear electric winch which has more than enough power and can even do recoveries if rigged right.

if you ever do find yourself w/o enough winch to drag a car on your trailer you could always pick up some tire skates and hammer them under the tires (can also use trays from fast food restaurants) to make them slide right on.