Off Road / 4x4 OffRoad discussion, along with 4x4 events and information.

How Much Winch Do I Need?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 12:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cLAYH
This will work for extending the winch line so you can hook onto a point that is out of reach of your cable, especially if you are using a ****** block but if you are thinking of it like stretching an elastic and bungeeing yourself out...then no that won't happen.
Yep, that's what I was aiming at. But I did have my suspicions that it wouldn't work. It seems like as soon as the truck moves at all the pressure would be off the cable and rope eliminating the pull.
Thanks for the info.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:00 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
For a fullsize truck thats NOT used for offroad and you just want a winch for occasional use, at the MINIMUM I would budget atleast $500 and buy a used Warn 8000# or better. Any smaller would just be asking for trouble.

For a truck you plan to use offroad at the MINIMUM I would look for atleast a 9.5K winch but a 12k would be better.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:02 AM

Oh yeah, don't forget to budget for a good solid mounting system. Most of the ones that slide into a receiver are only rated for 6000#.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:04 AM

For a fullsize truck thats NOT used for offroad and you just want a winch for occasional use, at the MINIMUM I would budget atleast $500 and buy a used Warn 8000# or better. Any smaller would just be asking for trouble.

For a truck you plan to use offroad at the MINIMUM I would look for atleast a 9.5K winch but a 12k would be better.
THanks, sounds like good information. I guess I'll just keep going without. Like I said, $70 seemed cheap enough, but not if it definately won't work.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:09 AM

Oh yeah, don't forget to budget for a good solid mounting system. Most of the ones that slide into a receiver are only rated for 6000#.
I guess that I'll have to limit the size of my winch then because that's what I was planning to use. I would put a receiver hitch up front so I could use the winch on either end of the truck. It doesn't make much sense to me to have a winch mounted up front and not be able to use it to pull myself backwards since that is usually the easiest way out of what I got myself into!
Old 01-02-2009, 01:41 AM

I've seen them used with 8k winches(starts to get bulky to haul around). Its ok for straight pulls, the problem comes in when you start to pull on an angle...
Old 01-02-2009, 07:07 AM

This may be an option for 'ya...

They come in handy for many things, a can be used as a light duty winch in a pinch!

http://www.hi-lift.com/hi-lift-jacks/index.html
Old 01-02-2009, 07:23 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 151 Likes on 117 Posts
If money is the key, then obviously you buy what you can afford - and then hope that it is adequate to do the job. What if you buy the cheapie and then find that it is not strong enough? Your money is wasted! Would it not make more sense to wait a bit longer, save you pennies and then buy something that you KNOW will do the job and maybe a bit more for safety?

Don't forget that the battery powered winches run out of steam VERY quickly under high loads. Then what? You may as well not have winch. Yes, the short time you have to get yourself out of trouble or load something before the battery runs down (even with the alternator at full output) will work for the majority of your needs, but what about the odd time you need some real grunt for an extended time? Again, you may as well not have a winch.

I would strongly suggest that you save a bit longer and then buy a hydraulic winch such as Mile Marker. Ask yourself why the US army is dumping so many Warn electric winches and switching to hydraulic?
Old 01-02-2009, 08:03 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I would not consider buying anything less than my vehicle weight times 1.5... meaning, if you roll your truck across a set of scales with 5 other people in it, and a full tool box and fuel tank, then multiply that times 1.5. What ever the answer is, that's the minimum weight rating that you need for a winch. Anything else would be a waste of money. A winch that is rated for exactly what your truck weighs will pull it on a level, paved road. You have to take into account for what ever is holding your truck down and any angle that you are at.

I understand completely your money situation. Remember, once you buy the winch, you gotta mount it, and mount it good. I would recommend a winch mount that you can remove and attach to your receiver on the rear of your truck also.

For now, I'd look at a jeep jack, http://www.hi-lift.com/index.html they are less than 200 bucks I think, and you can use them as an emergency wench. Or, (and this may sound dumb to you) you could get a hand crank winch with a hell of a set of low gears, and make a bracket for it.

HTH...
Old 01-02-2009, 08:08 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by megacabdad

They come in handy for many things, a can be used as a light duty winch in a pinch!

Ya got me while I was typing... you and stan!

Don't forget to look on e-bay...
Old 01-02-2009, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by madhat
Ya got me while I was typing... you and stan!

Don't forget to look on e-bay...
Great minds think a like.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Sams warehouse (like costco) has a smittybuilt 8 or 9k winch for around $300 I think. Thats about as cheap as you get.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:58 AM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
another choice...........
http://www.xcesselectronics.com/
Old 01-02-2009, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Mexstan

Don't forget that the battery powered winches run out of steam VERY quickly under high loads. Then what? You may as well not have winch.

I would strongly suggest that you save a bit longer and then buy a hydraulic winch such as Mile Marker. Ask yourself why the US army is dumping so many Warn electric winches and switching to hydraulic?

What are you talking about?!?!? Most battery run winches when hooked to a good batttery will pull you out of most situations on a single run. If if does start to run down simply stop winching and wait for the battery to charge up.

Trust me, with the great big dual batteries that our trucks have you will most likely overheat the winch's motor before running out of juice and with a hydraulic winch you still have the problem of having no winch if the motor isn't running.

Mile Marker has been trying to get the offroading community to buy into their hydraulic winches for a long time. They even built kits to tie into the PS system on most Jeeps. However reports of burned PS pumps for those that tried it have pretty much killed it for the off road community.

Just cause the US army uses it doesn't mean anything, they are running them on trucks much bigger than ours where an electric winch just isn't practical(size wise). Their trucks also have MUCH better hydraulic systems to power them then whats found on a regular vehicle. They are also notorious for going with the "low bid".
Old 01-02-2009, 01:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by megacabdad

I agree. Hi-Lift Jack and Off Road Accessory kit. Somewhat of a pain to setup up, but as long as you have enough straps or chains and something to tie to, you can winch it out. Only requires manual power, but you would be amazed at what you can move with that setup.

Quick Reply: How Much Winch Do I Need?