Off Road / 4x4 OffRoad discussion, along with 4x4 events and information.

How many of you have?

Old 11-06-2007, 10:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Over the Early Summer in Eastern Kansas we had gotten a lot of rain. Needless to say my CDT is only a 2wd and yeah we we're having a yard sale. I parked in the grass at my Fiance's house and left my truck there almost all day. Went to a movie, came back and i was getting ready to go home. Got in my truck, put her in gear and nothing. Get out to realize that over the time it sat there she had sank clear up to the rims in the soft saturated ground. It ended up taking quite a bit of yanking on the tow strap with my Fiance's old Jeep Grand Cherokee in 4 wheel Drive to pull the the truck from the holes. i couldn't believe it. lol. it was pretty funny.

Other great one of my more hardcore stories was my dad's old 72 3/4 chevy we used to have. 12" Skyjacker Lift and 40" Super Swamper TSL's and we had it out at our local trails which part is on the lake bed and yeah the top surface looks dry but then you'll break through the crust and it's the nastiest paint eating goop underneith. Yeah my dad's old truck sank clear up to the frame rails, didn't help with the extra 4 kegs worth of weight on the bed. Like it had a flatbed on it and yeah you could walk over and sit down on the bed and your feet we're on the ground. Very expensive weekend. Cost us a front axle out of a Blazer, tranny in a CJ7 and Bumper on a Scottsdale. After about 6 hours and 3 kegs worth of weight on the bed. It was out, not to mention the $40 at the car wash. Great times back in the day. lol.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Haha, yeah our company trucks are pretty generously equipped my boss is super understanding and he's usually out there with us so it's an exception to beating on someone elses truck.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:57 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
You CO guys might like this..

Let me preface this my saying my truck is NOT setup for off-roading. At the time this happened, I had the OEM Michelins on

My Bud down in Ft Collins doesn't show up to help someone else move into a new house in Cheyenne. Finally he calls and relays his story of woe. Apparently, he was in possession of his brother's F-150 and decided to go off-roading the previous night on the forest svc roads off Route 14 NW of Ft Collins (you guys know about this area of you off-road in northern CO). Turns out the FX4 pkg isn't so great in 2 ft of fresh mountain snow. He ends up walking about 5 miles down the svc road (no boots, no coat, no preparedness at all) and finally finds a place with a phone and calls his wife, who is absolutely LIVID since he was off all alone beyond cell phone range and told no one where he was. He finally gets home around 2AM.

So he didn't show up to help move because of the soap opera unfolding up in the CO mountains. Thinking I could yank him out, I gave him a shopping list at the auto parts store and told him I'd drive my trusty CTD down to Ft Collins, since the tow truck he called couldn't get him out and only got itself stuck twice. Tow truck driver left apologies but no success.

I get to his house and pick up the goodies I told him to get: tire chains, tow straps, etc etc. After driving an hour out of Ft Collins and almost running over a cow moose, we arrive at the location of the mired F-150.

This would be the part that we find the tire chains are too small, even though I gave him the exact tire size (265) I have. In case you're wondering, the OEM Michelins aren't so hot in 18" of snow. End result: one stuck CTD, one stuck F-150, anchored together by a tow strap under a lot of tension and we can't unhook them.

So we find ourselves in a repeat of the previous night-- only now BOTH of us are stuck up in BFE, 5 miles from the nearest phone. (though *I* had some winter gear in my truck and told my wife where I was). This wasn't going well

This would be where I mention that I had removed my fan for the winter and now found my truck nearing overheating as I'm idling through deep snow in thin air. I didn't notice it until my dash lights up like it's Christmas. So for the rest of the night, my windows were down with the heat blasting to turn the heater into another a radiator.

I was getting very frustrated at this point, as was my friend. Finally, somehow I was able to pursuade a tire chain onto the tire enough to move my truck about 6 inches, which was enough to disconnect the two trucks. But there was NO WAY those tire chains were going on my tires. They were for a 245/75r16 tire and I had the oem 265s.

By now, we've been at this about 6 hours and it's pushing 10PM. I'm exhausted and can't get the undersized chains on. Without the chains, we're walking down the mountain.

I aired down to about 20psi all around, and through the creative use of some bungee cords, I was able to get the tire chains SORT of on enough to get myself out and mobile. One last try on the tire chains and it was nothing short of miraculous: the went right on! I still have NO IDEA how it was that they went on. I put them on the front tires (CTD weight).

With the chains on, I yanked the F-150 out of the snowbank like it wasn't even there, just idling in 1st gear. I limped down the mountain on my underinflated tires, following the F-150 that was screaming in protest (e-brakes were ruined).

Lessons:
1) if the chains don't fit on pavement, they won't go on in 18" of snow.
2) Michelin LTX hwy rubber belongs only on dry pavement.
3) If you run fanless, you should pay attention to that in high elevations where EGT will be much hotter. I was seeing 900º at 10mph through the snow.

I will never have anything less aggressive than a good A/T on my truck, or there's no point in having 4wd.

JMO
Old 11-07-2007, 06:08 AM

heres my stuck pics, each time there was someone to tug me out so I didn't really get screwed, just temporarily delayed

Old 11-07-2007, 06:09 AM

I have also broken 3 left tail lights, bent my front and rear bumper, bent about every body panel, broke the windshield, broke 2 headlights, a grille, bent my condenser, broke 1 D70 axle shaft, 1 60 front axle shaft. it was all worth it and had a great time doing it. can't wait to go back out
Old 11-07-2007, 07:09 AM

Here is a the only good pick I have of my 78 Power Wagon gettin in a little too deep. Usually we could make it through that hole. That day wasn't one of those days. That pond mudd gets a little sticky when it starts to dry.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:33 AM

Heres some pics from last time I went out. My buddies got their vehicles stuck, then some jackhole came out in his lifted Dodge acting like a fool. He got stuck more than a few times, I was nice enough to pull him out though. The last time I pulled him out, he learned that Cummins torque is too much for his 1/2 ton suspension.
Attached Thumbnails How many of you have?-4021.jpg   How many of you have?-broke.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 11-29-2007, 09:10 PM

Well I finally got the 3500 stuck today. I was playing around at a friends big tree farm. I was trying to avoid a picnic table up by the shed and put the front drivers corner right into a hole. Not just any hole but one from a 90" tree spade! layed it right down on the rocker panel. Ironically i had to pull it out with the same truck that made the hole. The guys Ford F8000 truck. Its not the first time he has had to do that so no big deal.
Old 01-01-2008, 02:28 PM

I have a lot of "stucks" I could talk about..most were just out playing...but one of them that happened in the pursuit of "life" sticks in my mind as one of the most annoying.

I was enjoying a weekend of relaxing....we were in the middle of a good snow and I had nowhere to go..life was grand. My neighbor across the section calls me says he is stuck in his driveway. (this is all he said) So I grab kids and the video camera and we go to rescue him. I called a good friend who has a wheeling truck with a plow on it (Jeep Scrambler with 37" rubber lockers small block etc) So he drops the blade and assaults the bumper deep on my Dodge snow, and then promptly jumps right over the top of the snow and lands in a nice hole between drifts stuck. I had a good laugh. So I then assault the snow in the Crew cab. The link here shows most of that rather interesting event.

When I started this day I had a full tank of fuel 33 gallons. After the video event above I no sooner get home than my X wife calls and says she really needs her medication and can I get to her house?......after all i have the experience, the truck, and I am terminally immature and she called everyone else and they were unable... So...... me and the boys load up the shovels and get her medication from her car which she had left in town and headed to her place. We are met by a group on snowmobiles who have been looking for a fellow in a old M37 Power wagon who went missing at 4am on his way to town to plow.

So we bash crash and abuse the Dodge and get about 3 miles out of town and it's getting stupid. The snow is so hard/wet that you end up on top of it and then it's hope and pray you can claw your way over...then we came across a snow drift over our roof (7') and about a half mile long. I am chained up on all 4 corners at this point (38" swampers) so we try and go around through the field. I bash through the hood deep snow in ditch praying there are no field rocks along fence line and out into the field we go...it's only grill deep here. So I figure we have gone this far the boys are game so we push on...eventually I end up stuck to the rear view mirrors about 200' from "anything" resembling a winch anchor. We shoveled for a hour and although I could move back and forth a truck length, it would not climb back on top of the snow. All of the sudden as I was explaining to the boys that we are going to have to walk at least two miles and how happy I am about this we hear this "hello" and over the snow we can just make out someone. Turns out the lost M37 Owner had been sleeping tell "tomorrow" he figured when he heard us and thought we might be needing a hand. He was also very stuck but about 150' from us. So using my Dodge as a anchor, we strung his old Braden winch cable and some of my cable and hooked him to Dodge and he pulled himself back up onto the snow after disconnecting his snow plow. He then maneuvered into position, and between his winch and me removing the 7000rpm chip from the MSD and hanging a stocking cap over the tachometer I was able to claw through the drift that had us hung. Once free I hooked him onto the back bumper of the Dodge and we set sail for the other side of the field that was wind sheltered. Realizing he was not going to get his chained up M37 Home that day he climbed in with us and we made a try back out the way we came...No dice. So we went back got the M37 for tug back duty and proceeded to abuse the Dodge until we got to my X wifes. I handed her the meds told her "the child in me knows no limits" and headed back out to see about finding a different route home. So we got the M37 back to his place and while looking for a alternate way around the lake my eldest son says "Dad...lets just go across the lake, we have 14" of ice and it should be only bumper deep nothing to drift out there" I think on this a second..."why not" So we edge our way across this field....creep down into the marsh at edge of lake..the ice holds fine and out on the ice we go...clear sailing. I just had the thought "why didn't I think of this before" when we hit a ice shanty. Between the snow, the wind, and being rather snow blind at this point we never saw it at all...it being painted light tan didn't help. After making sure it was empty we continued with one less headlight and a newly broken windshield and made it all but 20' from shore when we went through the ice at the landing. I bashed around for 10 minutes...finally clawed out of the lake onto the boat landing and back to land... a simple two mile drive down the fields and ditches and we were home. We ran out of gas 20' from the garage...I said screw it and went to bed LOL The next morning we had a nice well frozen Dodge that only took 4 days to thaw out and drain the axles. My X wife owes me big for that day.

One grill
Hella Headlamp
Two front fenders mutilated from chains not staying tight at insane wheel speeds.
Bent tie Rod (dunno what I hit)
Windshield
Bent rear Drive shaft (I assume from repeatedly hitting ice ledge while stuck on edge of lake)
One front U joint in axle (found two caps missing amazingly it made it home)
assorted other damage.

on the other hand...I am immensely impressed by my engine building skills because man let me tell you, a big inch engine like that should not turn that hard that long. (still runs great) Someplace I have a pic the kid snapped on my recall tach at 8400rpm. Insane. Also I did reassure everyone in town through the M37 drivers stories at the local watering hole that I am completely nuts, and that Dodges rule.
Old 01-01-2008, 03:38 PM

this was me driving at Silver Lake ORV park in Michigan. kinda mis judged the depth of the water hole, for my stock jeep. made it through, but just barely.

Old 01-01-2008, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Diesel_Storm
this was me driving at Silver Lake ORV park in Michigan. kinda mis judged the depth of the water hole, for my stock jeep. made it through, but just barely.

Wow, compared to the others your story is awesome Please, that aint stuck, thats just some jeep in a puddle........ LOL
Old 01-02-2008, 07:41 AM

that is as close to being stuck/screwed that is captured on camera.

now if you want to hear my stuck stories i got some.

back when i was in high school, i had this little 4 cyl s-10 pickup. i was taking morning classes at the voc. center. that day was cut short due to snow, didnt have to go to reg. school. so just as i leave the voc. center, i hear a Kabang!

i thought i ran over something, and payed no attention. so im driving home which is roughly 10 miles. meanwhile the truck starts to get hot, and i keep driving.

now the stuck part, about 2 miles from home, i went to make a left turn. turned the wheels but the truck kept going straight and i went off the corner and got wedged between a chain link fence and a concrete block sticking approx. 2 inches out of the ground.

walked to a friends house whose dad owns a wrecker, no go, winch busted. so call the wrecker service, got truck out and home.

found out later the Kabang! was the fan separating from the water pump and taking out the radiator. so new radiator, exhaust, and brake lines (crushed by exhaust), the truck was back on the road.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Diesel_Storm
now the stuck part, about 2 miles from home, i went to make a left turn. turned the wheels but the truck kept going straight and i went off the corner and got wedged between a chain link fence and a concrete block sticking approx. 2 inches out of the ground.
Now thats stuck, the worst for me was in the military when the HMMWV (Hummer to you civilian pukes) , we went into a body of water similiar to your pics but didnt make it through, had to exit the vehicle through the gun turrent, bad day for us.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:27 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Gee, there are so many to choose from!! Two different times on the Rubicon in my old Nissan Patrol, a broken front axle at Little Sluice box, a broken rear axle at Cadillac Hill, (both times made it out and home on the broken stubs), another time driving to an island 150 yds from shore at Folsom Lake only to discover the current dug out a nice channel just before the island... burned up a winch/battery/alternator on that one (really wish I had the hydraulic winch back then). The best one, and I do have pics-- just not the electronic kind, was at the mud drags at Prairie City one year...
After the drags a whole bunch of people went across the street to play in the mud and proceeded to get stuck-- maybe 20-30 trucks all stuck, some severely. I motored around them all and got on a hill to take a pic of the carnage below... I started to help pull some out and got two when the CHP started coming to give all a ticket for trespassing. I tossed the winch cable around the winch and took off just in time as about 6 or patrol cars come flying up!! Everyone caught got a ticket for about $250, plus the stuck ones had to pay $150 for the wrecker to get them out!! (Cops wouldn't let anyone with a winch help out)
Old 01-04-2008, 06:55 PM

Rolled my truck on the last day of a multiday outting at Tellico (Upper 2). Saturday evening and had to leave the truck overnight. Finally found someone with enough horsepower and weight to help get me out (weight approx 8500lb). Even with a 454 and 44s, he still had to pull cable to get up some of the inclines.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How many of you have?