Off Road / 4x4 OffRoad discussion, along with 4x4 events and information.

How many of you have?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 10:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a great pic in my gallery how do i post it in the thread?
Old 10-10-2005, 01:20 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by drew03
I have a great pic in my gallery how do i post it in the thread?
This one?

You'll see some UBB code in the info section under the pic in the album, copy/paste all of it into the post and the pic will show up.

"Quote" this post to see what it looks like.

phox
Old 10-10-2005, 01:22 PM
Administrator

I don't want to type my story again.
It's stored somewhere in here.

3 month old truck, stock suspension and tires, mud that I drove my Tacoma through the year prior with no problem,
Cummins is apparantly a bit heavier than the Tacoma engine, heck, probably heavier than the whole Tacoma.
2 mile hike, found a nice F-150 owner with a shovel, broken tow strap twice, finally got out.

Haven't got stuck since I modified the truck.

phox
Old 10-10-2005, 02:19 PM

Although I have not gotten stuck yet, I would be pretty screwed if I got stuck in the Carova Beach, NC area. The beach house we rented in 2003 was 12 miles north up the beach (from the end of the pavement) and approx. 1-1.5 miles west towards Currituck Sound. The beach is pretty hard packed but when you go over the dunes there are some pretty hairy spots. The bill from the local offroad towing service would be steep. After a rain storm, many of the low spots on the sand trails in the dunes completely fill with rain water and create deep water crossings. We were stuck at the beach house for 2 days one time because the trail leading to it was completely flooded. I waded up the trail after the storm but it kept getting deeper. I figured it was not worth the risk because there was no one around to pull us out if we got stuck in the water. Of course, we had plenty of beer and a hottub to help pass the time.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:22 PM

It was about 10:00 pm and i decided to take a slight detour. Due to the angle of the slope i was not able to see the large ravine. I was a little concerned when gasoline started running out of my tank. Me and a buddy tried to use a come-a-long to winch it out. It snapped. I ended up hiring a dozer to pull the truck out. No damage what so ever, i could not believe it.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:52 AM

I was dozing out my driveway in the fall and moving ALOT of dirt with my Grandpa's AC HD-5 crawler when I found where I had been piling snow all winter... It was dry clay one second, mired over the tracks and GOO coming into the engine compartment the next. I didn't have the sense to stop turning the tracks, and couldn't ride it up on logs/fenceposts, and there were no trees within reach. I was HOSED!! My buddy finally came over a few days later and we hooked a chain to the track and pulled it out with my f-150(chained to a stump) as an anchor!!

one set of leaf springs later and it was OUT
Old 10-16-2007, 09:54 AM

Ive had my CTD stuck once. All it took was a little tug to get it out though. I was out at the powerlines messing around. There were some Jeeps and a new DMax out there as well. I was climbing up hill and ledges right behind the Jeeps all day long. Then one of the guys out there made the comment that a stock truck was following their modified Jeeps around and the Jeep guys got their feelings hurt. So they said I couldnt follow them up an off camber hill. It wasnt very tall, maybe 30 ft to the top, but a steep angle with ruts. The Jeeps went up then I followed I got my front pass tire up the top, driver side was in the air. Then I saw what I didnt before, a two foot drop at the crest of the hill. My tire dropped in and I high centered, with my driver front and pass rear in the air. STUCK. I got the strap out and hooked it to the front tow hook and had the DMax pull my front end down, once both front tires grabbed I crawled out. Left me with a bent trans support, scratched up framerails and a nice big pin stripe on the pass side bed right above the exhaust. I usually try not to get into big mud holes since Im usually out with smaller vehicles and I dont trust their ability to pull me out.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:54 PM
KVD

In high school we used to go muddin bout 4 times a week everyweek, it seemed like if ever washed my truck real good for friday or saturday night, put on my good pants and boots, one of my buddys would call. Hey I'm stuck and I need some help, thought my parents would kill me every time I came home with mud up to my knees.

A friend of ours dad gave us the keys to his tractor so make yal a mud hole just not passed to woods so most of the time we went out there

Only got stuck good one time. I had a 95 chevy 1/2 ton with a 2 inch lift and some 33s, and there was this hole a ton dodge had made (buddy of mine buried his 02 dually cummins) and we kept diggin it out. I knew you could go threw it from the front but not the other way but I tried anyways. The front bumper hit the other side of the hole and the frame hit the back top side of the whole. The head lights and most of the grill were under water and mud and the back tires were bout a foot off the ground.

Got a chain and buddy took has 99 cummins and finally pulled me out after a couple of good yanks, but at one point the back tires were bout 3 foot of the ground, it didn't look so bad in the dark.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:13 PM

I personally haven't been in the situation but me and my buddies all have pretty sweet rigs. I just sold mine though. I had a 91 suburban on 40" iroks with one ton axles, lockers, and 4:56 gears with a 12000 pound winch. Me and a buddy with a pretty nice blazer were playn in a pond and kept daring each other to go further and further out and the last time, I went right through the center, and made it but he didn't have as much luck. His 38s were completely out of sight in mud and it took us forever to get him out with mine and a couple other friends trucks
Old 11-05-2007, 07:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
runamuk-love that story
Old 11-06-2007, 06:30 PM

no pics=2 pages of BS
you should all be ashamed of yourselves!
Old 11-06-2007, 07:16 PM

Well i buried my truck in August on our farm unintintionally. My cousin wanted me to show him a good spot to test out his new truck that we just rebuilt the motor in.(78F-150, 460, 7in lift, new 35in mud tires) Drove down in the swamp which was fairly dried out and showed him where i had buried the tractor after not having rained for over a month around end of june. Need less to say he chickened out after seein 2ft of water in the hole, and not having rain for over 2 weeks again. So we decided to head out and i started to drive along the edge of where i quit brushhogging towards a spot that looked like a little mud. I started into it in 2wd thinkin it would not be bad, but started to sink so i put it in 4wd, as i hit a solid piece of ground and thought i would be fine. Then next then i know the front end comes back down and i bridged the solid piece of ground with my frame and couldn't move. SO we hooked his truck up and she didn't go anywhere, finally decided to get my gpa's cummins and hooked them up and still didn't budge. My truck would pull the other trucks sidways while i sat still. Finally after blowing a lot of smoke i decided to go get the 4020 deere out. Trying to asess the sit. we decided that we needed to pull from the front since all previous efforts had been from the rear. Conviently when my truck came to a stop the ground in front of the truck was very solid and less than an inch of clearence. So after turning the wheel and trying to lean in the wheelwell to reach the axle i finally got it chained up. Started pullin the truck out and up the chain decided to snap dropping my truck back in the hole and the entire chain shooting underneth the truck, luckly it didn't hit anything. SO after getting a second chain the deere finally came to my rescue.
All in all my cousin never did get the chance to mud since we spent so long trying to get me out. AND i learned that a swap is called a swamp for a reason.hahaha
Old 11-06-2007, 07:18 PM

Forgot to mention
my cousin has pics on his phone, but i don't have them. sorry : (
Old 11-06-2007, 08:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking Almost made it

Long story short, We go out and play in the mud every weekend all summer when we aren't working. This day wasn't exactly muddy, it was actually quite opposite, the creek was dried right up and we made it down one side but the approach angle on the other side was WAY steeper than it looked and we ended up digging for a solid three hours in the rocky creek bed to make a big enough hole to get the bumper and trailer hitch off the ground. The best part is, we did it again later that day in a Nissan Titan and it tore the rear bumper right off when it bottomed out. The best part of this trip was it wasn't in my truck, it was in my old 06 which was a company truck.
Attached Thumbnails How many of you have?-dsc02710.jpg  
Old 11-06-2007, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Rollin'_Coal
Long story short, We go out and play in the mud every weekend all summer when we aren't working. This day wasn't exactly muddy, it was actually quite opposite, the creek was dried right up and we made it down one side but the approach angle on the other side was WAY steeper than it looked and we ended up digging for a solid three hours in the rocky creek bed to make a big enough hole to get the bumper and trailer hitch off the ground. The best part is, we did it again later that day in a Nissan Titan and it tore the rear bumper right off when it bottomed out. The best part of this trip was it wasn't in my truck, it was in my old 06 which was a company truck.
Remind me not to hire you.

Quick Reply: How many of you have?