Off Road / 4x4 OffRoad discussion, along with 4x4 events and information.

Friend going to buy a '06 PSD

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 09:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Friend going to buy a '06 PSD

Give me some ammo to take back to him. I'm not being anti-Ford just hate to see a guy with a great family buy the wrong truck.

He and his wife did test drive an '06 mega but the wife didn't like the seats, too uncomfortable. I can kind of agree on that one but not enough to buy a PSD.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Last edited by grantx5; 03-24-2006 at 09:20 PM. Reason: can't spell
Old 03-24-2006, 09:26 PM

it's a ford need i say more?? anywho from what i have seen and heard they are having big time trouble with the 6.0. that's why they are going to another motor, again. notice dodge hasn't changed their motor only the injection and body. not a complete motor displacement. mention fuel mileage, and also i forgot where i read it but show them the article about the dodge that turned over a million miles not to long ago. with no major motor work. if that don't work then tell them happy motoring and you'll have a trailer handy to tow them home and to the dealership, lol. beside's they'll get used to the seats. but keep on trying to bring them back from the dark side.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
A good friend of mine did the same thing. We had some kind banter back and forth,and now a year later he has had the truck in the dealer several times. He's my friend so I quit picking on him, but I did give him the, I told you so.His dad had a 7.3 and figured that the 6.0 was just as good.WRONG Now he just deals with it. I did tell him my truck only went to the dealer once,"to get it washed" Tell your buddy (or his wife)to check out the forums on that thing,at least he won't be going into it blind, or on your word.
Old 03-25-2006, 11:23 AM

Just have him spend 1 hour on thedieselstop if that doesn't open his eyes nothing will.
Old 03-25-2006, 11:42 AM

those new 6.0s are junk, I know two people with major problems, one truck is in the process of being lemon lawed and the other has a oil leak that has been deamed "unfixable", and there MPG on the 6.0s are horrible....
Old 03-25-2006, 12:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tell him to get a new wife!
Old 03-25-2006, 12:29 PM

ALL THE AMMO YOU NEED---CLICK HERE!

or do what "fredbert" said

this is a great link though, i think it'll help sell him!!
Old 03-25-2006, 01:17 PM

Resale is will plumet with the 6.oh! The 6 will only have a 3 yr run cycle and will be replaced with a new engine in 07. I wouldn't touch the new engine for a min of 2 years if the number of problems is reduced dramatically.

Dodge or Chevy are better trucks.
Old 03-25-2006, 02:10 PM

Reading all the problems with CP3's, driveline vibrations, various leaks, bad PCM's / ECM's and the "death wobble", how can anyone say that a Dodge is any better than a Ford or GM ?
I recently traded my 2000 Excursion with a 7.3 powerstroke, on a 2006 Dodge Mega Cab CTD.
I can honestly say that the Mega Cab is nice, but the only advantage it has over a Ford Crew Cab, is the size of the cab.
Sure, Ford had major problems with the 6.0 when it first came out, and still does; but Dodge has just as many problems.
Old 03-25-2006, 03:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I can agree with 1stdodge, but I have to say after reading the problems with the 6.0 and the # of people having them, I'll take my dodge and its problems anyday!
Old 03-25-2006, 04:17 PM

i got to see one of the new common rail motors in an 04 dodge with the number6 rod sticking out of the block. huge hole, he was runnin tst powermax cr on it with no gauges and pulled a trailer daily. i informed him to invest cause it would be wise, he didn't listen, i'll get pics and try to put them on here. oh yeah, he lost all oil pressure and continued to drive it till the rod more or less welded itself to the crank, shattered the rod cap and stuck the rod out the side of the block. first i've head of or seen, how about you?????
Old 03-25-2006, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by 1stdodge
Reading all the problems with CP3's, driveline vibrations, various leaks, bad PCM's / ECM's and the "death wobble", how can anyone say that a Dodge is any better than a Ford or GM ?
I recently traded my 2000 Excursion with a 7.3 powerstroke, on a 2006 Dodge Mega Cab CTD.
I can honestly say that the Mega Cab is nice, but the only advantage it has over a Ford Crew Cab, is the size of the cab.
Sure, Ford had major problems with the 6.0 when it first came out, and still does; but Dodge has just as many problems.
in my opinion it's just what works for YOU. i personally was born and raised with dodge and of course i think it's the best brand of truck ever made, heck i even like the gassers. but, some people will think different(no matter what).
both trucks, wait no, ALL trucks, cars, vans, SUVs, ford, dodge, chevrolet, buick, suzuki, etc. etc. have problems. it's just part of it but you gotta admit, dodge and cummins have one heck of a reputation, and i think they're bound and determined to keep it. and with all the problems i've heard about the 6.0L, i'd pass it up for a dodge any day. now, my father on the other hand has a PSD BUT it is a 7.3L now i do believe that these engines were a good time for Ford but in my opinion, the 6.0L is just a figment of Ford's imagination.

Nuff Said
Old 03-25-2006, 10:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stop him if you can.

If your a good friend, stop him! My retired parents bought an 05' Supercrew King Ranch F-250 loaded.Stickered for over 52,000.00. This vehicle was to last them a long time, the last truck they would ever buy. When you get a panicked call from your 62 year old mother,on a shopping trip with the quilting club, asking why her truck is blowing white smoke, jerking and bucking around the parking lot. Or to have the truck completely shut off on the interstate at 70mph with the cruise on.(This has happened numerous times.) Or leave them stranded on the side of the road with roadside assistance 4 hours away.The "Forever Truck", has currently spent over a month in the shop in 06' alone. EGR valves,PCV, Coked up turbo w/ " Groundbreaking variable vane technology".All BAD ALL CRAP,What a joke!!! Ford needs to step up to the plate, and admit they have screwed this one up in a major way. Hard working American people spend their hard earned money to buy a "QUALITY" product, and they get hung out to dry,By an American company... And they wonder why their profits slipping .Way to look out for your own. Let me take a breath. All im saying is American car and truck manufacturers need remember where their gravy has been coming from all these years.
I think Merle Haggard said it best " I wish a Ford and a Chevy would still last ten years like they should". I'll put the soapbox away now. Carry on.
Old 03-25-2006, 11:20 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
First of all you can not change someones mind. I bought my first CTD and a friend of mine said I should have bought a Ford. I chuckled and said " No Thanks". That was even before I had done any research or new of any major issues with the PSD. I was a mechanic at one time in my life and hated to work on any Ford product. I always thought they were junk. Darn thangs hated me too. They would cut me at any chance. Just try to give your friend as much information as you can and let him make his own decision. Even now I don't give my friend any crap about his 2005 PSD. I hope he has good luck with it. Chances are that will not be the case. Yeah, Dodge has some CP3 issues. I had mine changed at 24,000 miles. That is one issue and not everyone has had it. I think they are still not sure why they are having problems. Hopefully they will figure it out. Ford, They gave up and have a new engine on the way in 2007.
Old 04-24-2006, 12:51 PM

My brother bought a crew cab F-350 SRW 4x4 fully loaded in Jan. When I sold my Titan and started shopping for 1-tons he couldn't understand why I would even consider a Dodge and thought it absurd to have it tops on the list. He called it ugly and said the Ford was a mans truck. He's had Ford F-350 etched on the brain ever since he knew he wanted a diesel truck, even though he knew about its problems with the Powerstroke. But no matter how much information I gave him he wasn't to be dissuaded.

Quick Reply: Friend going to buy a '06 PSD