Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Off Road / 4x4 (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/off-road-4x4-111/)
-   -   Dana 70U VS Dana 70 (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/off-road-4x4-111/dana-70u-vs-dana-70-a-143304/)

JKM 03-25-2007 07:33 AM

Dana 70U VS Dana 70

I have a Dana 70U in my truck (32 spline) with an open carrier, and I am looking for a stock power lok limited slip to put in (after i re-build it of course). I have all the tools to do it right (case spreader, shims , dial indicator etc).

I have found lots of 35 spline units out of a dana 70 , I have yet to come across a power lok out of a 70U with 32 spline axles. My question is will a dana 70 carrier fit into a 70U housing? I will need to get the 35 spline axles with the carrier of course, but will it fit? Can i swap my stock ring gear onto the power lok carrier to save gear meshing problems or is the carrier too different to accept a 70U ring gear?

Thanks for the help! Jayme.

chromegrill 03-25-2007 11:50 AM

I'm not sure if the carrier will fit, but if it does and you want to swap your gears onto the new carrier, you still need to set backlash for the proper pattern. Measure backlash on the gearset now, then match that number when you put it back together with the new carrier and the gears will ride in the same spot. For a definite answer on what fits call Randy's ring and pinion.

chromegrill 03-25-2007 12:50 PM

I did some research and it looks like internally they are the same except for the pinion bearings. The "u" designates light duty, and uses the same carrier bearings as a 60, and the HD 70 uses 80 carrier bearings. Sounds like it should work as long as the shafts are the correct lenght.

JKM 03-25-2007 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by chromegrill (Post 1425766)
I'm not sure if the carrier will fit, but if it does and you want to swap your gears onto the new carrier, you still need to set backlash for the proper pattern.

The reason I asked about swapping ring gears is as you know ,the pinion and ring gear are a matched set, I don't want to throw a mis matched ring gear in there.

Originally Posted by chromegrill (Post 1425854)
I did some research and it looks like internally they are the same except for the pinion bearings. The "u" designates light duty, and uses the same carrier bearings as a 60, and the HD 70 uses 80 carrier bearings. Sounds like it should work as long as the shafts are the correct lenght.

That's the impression I was under , that the pinion bearings are smaller than a standard dana 70, I want to make sure the carrier bearings are not different also.

chromegrill 03-25-2007 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by JKM (Post 1426235)
The reason I asked about swapping ring gears is as you know ,the pinion and ring gear are a matched set, I don't want to throw a mis matched ring gear in there.

That's the impression I was under , that the pinion bearings are smaller than a standard dana 70, I want to make sure the carrier bearings are not different also.

Even when just switching carriers (using you gears), you still have to set backlash.

The carriers bearings are different, according to everything I read, so a different bearing would be needed. There is lots of good reading on these axles over at pirate4x4.com

JKM 03-26-2007 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by chromegrill (Post 1426469)
Even when just switching carriers (using you gears), you still have to set backlash.

The carriers bearings are different, according to everything I read, so a different bearing would be needed. There is lots of good reading on these axles over at pirate4x4.com

I know that I still have to set backlash no matter what.

If the carrier bearings are different , then there is a pretty good chance a dana 70 carrier won't fit into a dana 70U , correct?

CTD NUT 03-26-2007 06:29 PM

D70 standard - same size carrier and pinion bearings as a D60 along with the same size pinion....bigger carrier and ring gear.

D70U - the same size bearings, gears and carrier as a standard D70 but the housing has an offset pinion bore to allow for a pinion gear with a higher tooth count to allow ratios less than 3.54. Gearsets with a bigger ratio can be installed but they use an extra thick ring gear. Carriers and gearsets aren't regarded as interchangeable in parts listings.

D70HD (sometimes referred to as the hybrid 70/80) - Uses the same pinion and pinion bearings as the others but uses a D80 carrier and bearings. Carriers definitely don't interchange with other D70's and the gearsets aren't listed as interchanging in parts listings. Carriers can interchange with a D80 but slotting of the ring gear bolt holes is required in the carrier.

All 3 housings vary from each other to allow for their different combinations of internals.

I don't have any first hand info that would lead me to believe that the carriers will interchange between a D70 and a D70U. I would think they would be identical other than the raceway diameter for locating the ring gear on the carrier might be a slightly smaller diameter on the D70U, though, I can't confirm it. I haven't dealt with very many D70U's.

G1625S 03-26-2007 06:35 PM

I think most/all 1st gens are 70U's. Mine is (prett sure) and I've got a Detroit w/35 spline shafts....leave it to Dana to make things more difficult than necessary[laugh]

JKM 03-26-2007 07:12 PM

CTD NUT , any idea where I can pick up a good used dana 70U power lok in eastern canada ? or even an entire dana 70 , or 70 HD? I don't really want to buy an entire axle (for cost reasons , and it is alot more work to swap) but if that's what I have to do I will , i'm not real big fan of the lunchbox lockers ( like the powertrax unit, if that even make that for a 70U) either...

CTD NUT 03-27-2007 03:12 PM

Sorry Jayme, I don't have a clue where to start looking out East.:confused:

I bought a Plok new in 2000 for a my old Chevy dually that had a D70 and it was roughly $550 CDN....I bought it through a local 4x4 shop which came via Randy's Ring and pinion. I have had some success with finding D70's in wrecking yards from cube vans but the likely hood of them having a Plok is minimal....not to mention they all seem to be 35 spline.

I wish I could be more help.

LanceD 03-27-2007 07:43 PM

I have a Dana 70U in my truck. its 35 spline now. used to be 32 spline. heres what I suggest you do:

find a powerlok case for a D70U. order an internals kit from randys for a 35 spline D70, and some 35 spline shafts if you want. install and drive. thats what I did and it works great

Crimedog 03-29-2007 02:03 PM

Actually JKM, I found that a used axle assembly is easier to swap into the truck than just the R&P. It took me about 1.5 hours to do mine solo, including lifting that heavy mother on jackstands one at a time! It isn't hard at all, all you have is shocks, u bolts, disconnect driveshaft, speed sensor, brake lines and you're done. I found an axle with a powerlok out of a 98 for $300, it was well worth it for me, plus I have a spare assembly as well.

JKM 03-29-2007 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Crimedog (Post 1433490)
Actually JKM, I found that a used axle assembly is easier to swap into the truck than just the R&P. It took me about 1.5 hours to do mine solo, including lifting that heavy mother on jackstands one at a time! It isn't hard at all, all you have is shocks, u bolts, disconnect driveshaft, speed sensor, brake lines and you're done. I found an axle with a powerlok out of a 98 for $300, it was well worth it for me, plus I have a spare assembly as well.

If i could find an axle in that price range I would do it, i wouldn't mind having a 70HD anyways. I would have to buy new U bolts, mine as pretty rusty, which isn't a big deal I guess. Not likely that my park break cables would be re-useable either.

Anyone know where to find a complete housing east of manitoba , on the cheap :cool:

1stGen545 04-01-2007 01:36 AM

The 70U uses smaller carrier bearings than a 70 or 70HD.

JKM 04-11-2007 07:49 PM

I know I said I don't like them , but whats the general opinion of something like this:

powertrax

Will it hold up? do they actually work as advertised ( will it lock up when i want it to) This would be a last chance scenerio , if i can't find a good or rebuildable power lok for a 70U.