Off Road / 4x4 OffRoad discussion, along with 4x4 events and information.

Best winch (style/ brand)

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 04:03 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the Warn 12K and am pleased with it.
Old 12-31-2007, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hintz
electric- warn, and if you have a PTO drive then a PTO winch
not to hijack the tread but I was wondering what the pto part number for the nv 4500 5spd is I have hunted high and low got about 6 diffrent answers.
Old 01-01-2008, 12:46 PM

I have to add my two cents worth here as well.

I have owned a lot of winches.. Electric/pto/hyd engine driven/hyd pto driven

On a full size truck winch selection depends completely in how you plan to get stuck...it's that simple. You bury you big Dodge to the mirrors in Swamp mud forget the Electrics doing much more than making a small puff of smoke. My Warn 12K was one tough SOB and took a LOT of abuse but double lined in above scenario it was NOT happy. It did get me out...but I doubt it would have done it twice the same day happily. On the other hand we have wheeled all over Colorado/Moab and never needed more winch than the Warn.

I had a mid mount PTO on a truck once... it could pull anything...well anything the trucks frame could stand. It was off a old antique wrecker...overkill maybe but in the mud..I said thanks to it allot...it sucked for rocks...far too clumsy.

I could go on all day but in the end it really depends on HOW your going to get stuck...my next winch on the Crew Cab is going to be a mid mount pto driven HYD...I can run it from cab...it will go forever assuming the Cummins is running, and I can pull from the front or the back of the truck whichever I need to...I just need to find one I can afford to own LOL

NoRM
Old 01-02-2008, 12:38 PM

how do you get it to run from the front or the back? I see how the back would be easy for routing a cable, but what about the front?
Old 01-02-2008, 02:46 PM

LancD

What we have done in the past... (2 trucks now) is run a center mount winch in a cradle...the cable goes towards the rear of the truck in the center... a ****** block in built into the rear bumper with a large pin holding it (2" implement type) and the cable then goes around the ****** block and into a guide tube towards the front of the truck, terminating at a front fairlead.

When you wish to winch backwards the cable at the front of the truck is secured to a shackle and you remove the pin in the rear and pull your ****** block out to your anchor (when winching rearward you are always double lined) of course with the ****** block pinned, winching front the front is quite easy, and about like any normal front mount winch. Using a industrial style winch with a "winder" for the cable is almost required, and a way to engage/disengage the winch from the cab is a huge bonus obviously.

You could get an idea of a similar setup by going to http://www.ebroadcast.com.au/ecars/Foers/Winch.html
Old 01-02-2008, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Need95-00CTD
I run a Mile-Marker 12K on my truck, mounted on a multi-mount hitch plate...The nicest part is that I have cable leads run to both the front and the rear (was actually pretty cheap for what you get) so all I have to do is pull the power lead and move the winch from the front to the back...its heavy, so you risk dropping a nut getting it moved, but when your only tie point is behind you...its a life saver. Try doing that with hydraulics!
mile marker sells a winch around kit (front or rear) for our trucks uses hydraulic quick connects that mount in the front and rear, so it can be done about as easily as you can do it with electric, two hoses and a remote!
Old 01-02-2008, 03:24 PM

I have broke the old milemarker type during a serious mud extraction, this could have been avoided, but if the cable even touches the cross bar that retains each side together it is all over...It was also exposed (on a jeep so the spooling could be seen) so I don't know if thats the way to go for a hideaway bumper setup.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MunK
What we have done in the past... (2 trucks now) is run a center mount winch in a cradle...the cable goes towards the rear of the truck in the center... a ****** block in built into the rear bumper with a large pin holding it (2" implement type) and the cable then goes around the ****** block and into a guide tube towards the front of the truck, terminating at a front fairlead.
This is precisely how I am planning to set up my Milemarker. The main two problems I am facing, how to modify the controls to be able to switch gears without having to crawl under, and how to avoid cable bunching up, since it does not have a levelwind.
I am also contemplating a PTO hydro pump to run it so that I can avoid running long hydro lines from the engine compartment. If I find an inexpensive used PTO hydraulic pump I will do that.
Good luck finding a levelwind winch of suitable size! I did find one, would have been great, it could hold 465' of 7/8" cable but... it was 400# without cable. Would not fit under the truck, period.
-P
Old 01-03-2008, 04:22 AM

could this same setup be used by mounting the winch where the spare tire goes?

how did they run the cable up front and keep it from rubbing on sharp stuff or possibly cutting holes in important stuff? would you run some conduit down the frame that the cable would be inside of?
Old 01-03-2008, 02:52 PM

I am looking at this very thing Lance, in place of the spare tire. Once I get a warm day I am measuring the clearance above the differential to see if it will fit above it; if not, the spare will have to be removed.
The example I saw seems to have run it inside a conduit. I am not too thrilled with this, as I can only imagine the stress on that conduit and friction in it when that cable pulls through under some 8,000# of tension. Routing it to both ends will be the next step after I figure out how to install it in the first place.
-P
Old 01-04-2008, 12:27 AM

you guys think frame modifications are necessary since it will be under compression? sorry for the thread jack, I can start a new thread if need be.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:33 PM

I think that this setup might actually be less stressful on the frame. On front mounted winch, the pull is entirely on the front section of the frame. If doubled up, it is even more so. With the center mount, some pull is on the middle part of the frame and doubled up, some of it is on a different part of the frame.
I am not planning to change the frame. The fifth wheel hitches attach in the very same area and are designed to hold 18,000# for pull-push. I think I will be Ok with a lesser load in the same frame area.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:36 PM
Chapter President

Question

Anybody seen those new warn powerplant winch/compressor units in action?

Any body running dedicated front and rear electrics?