Off Road / 4x4 OffRoad discussion, along with 4x4 events and information.

best ls or locker for dually work truck

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
best ls or locker for dually work truck

hey gents, its almost tax season and im going to dump my tax return into my truck, ive got an open diff now, need some advise on what unit to put in. The truck see's varied use, snow, mud, city, logging roads, its my daily rig so anything is possible. Ive heard the dana powrlok is good, any others? im figuring to spend around 500 on the unit, any ideas? Oh yah, im moving back to alaska soon, so ICY conditions also.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:44 PM

I see you already have airbags so you must have an air source. Since you already have that all set up, I would suggest going with an ARB locker if they make one for the axle in that truck.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Icy conditions would not be good with Detroits I hear. Limited slips are a waste of money I think, only worth having if they are already in (like mine) and it would cost time and money to get the m out. +1 on ARB, but they are $$$. I would love to have ARBs.
-P
Old 12-28-2007, 12:11 PM

ARB +2 or detroit
Old 12-28-2007, 09:49 PM

ARB, since you have OBA already. If you don't want to tap into it go with an Ox Locker, much better than a Detroit both in strength and convenience since you can unlock it. An E-locker would be nice if you can find one...thats gonna be the hard part for any Locker or LSD.
Old 12-29-2007, 05:39 AM

look at the true trac limited slip. its alot better than the factory unit, dosent wear out or require special lube. a locker is a pia in the snow or expecialy ice.the arb is great. the only problem is when its engaged its a spool not a locker and its really a pia to turn on any surface.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Need95-00CTD
ARB, since you have OBA already. If you don't want to tap into it go with an Ox Locker, much better than a Detroit both in strength and convenience since you can unlock it. An E-locker would be nice if you can find one...thats gonna be the hard part for any Locker or LSD.
please explain how you think an ARB is stronger than a detroit
Old 12-29-2007, 10:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Hintz
please explain how you think an ARB is stronger than a detroit
Learn to read, he said the OX locker is stronger than the Detroit, not the ARB.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:39 PM

what does the ox locker go for? I m sure its more than i can spend, any expierience with the detroit soft locker?
Old 12-30-2007, 07:52 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Get a powrlok. It's factory equipment and can be set up as harsh or as smooth as you like. It also falls closer to your budget Just a Detroit for a d70 with 32 spline axleshafts is gonna kick about 5 bills, never mind install. If you can find a used powrlok for a couple hundred, you'll be locked up for about 6 bills after rebuild and install. The powrlok will hold a lot of power and can be rebuilt w/out re-setting the ring and pinion. Wish I had one. Had the Detroit...love the traction...hated the manners for a DD....
Old 12-31-2007, 10:13 AM

thanks G1625S, thats kind of what i was thinking, whats the best place to find a used unit? i don't really have time to go to salvage yards and tear rear ends apart, hell, now i have one more used part to look for for my pile
Old 12-31-2007, 10:52 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by G1625S
Get a powrlok. It's factory equipment and can be set up as harsh or as smooth as you like. It also falls closer to your budget Just a Detroit for a d70 with 32 spline axleshafts is gonna kick about 5 bills, never mind install. If you can find a used powrlok for a couple hundred, you'll be locked up for about 6 bills after rebuild and install. The powrlok will hold a lot of power and can be rebuilt w/out re-setting the ring and pinion. Wish I had one. Had the Detroit...love the traction...hated the manners for a DD....
I agree with the above. I have had a powerlok and a detroit locker in other vehicles. The powerlok I have is set up very agressively and works very well. It is a strong unit too. The detoit is not something you want for ice/snow on pavement. The results can be hazardous... especially turning a corner and having that thing engage and send you into a spin or straight across the street into unforgiving obsticles. True Trac is a nice unit as well... it is more forgiving on the street but less aggressive off-road than the powerlok. True Trac does not require special fluids or periodic rebuilding... FWIW, my powerlok has not required rebuilding or adjustment since new and it has 150k miles on it. For the purposes you describe, I would highly recommend the powerlok. An Eaton e-locker sounds really nice, but I have no experience with them.
Old 01-01-2008, 12:57 PM

I just had a not so great L/S experience this morning. I backed my dually off the edge of the paved part of my yard slid down onto the lawn with the pass side and with the driver side still on the pavement I had to pull it out. The power lok was just not positive enough...just when I was getting "out" it would quit. That said... in a daily driver that see's only pavement duty a tight power lock is a great differential and the flaw mine has is...it's not tight LOL A $100 rebuild it would be just fine for the truck it's in.

As for the Detroit's driving manners...It's all how you set them up. I have front and rear Detroit's in the Crew Cab and routinely drive down the road in 4x4 high range on hard pack at speed like I am on rails. You want to turn you release a little pressure on the gas pedal and they allow turning just fine. And are no more prone to side slip than any worthwhile L/S and in truth as good as a open differential in any "coast" type situation...it's all how you drive them. If you don't like the screech bang POP when turning corners a Dana 60 front axle application spring in the differential will soften that considerably.

With front and rear Detroit's I can do figure 8's in a cement parking lot in 4x4...it's all how you drive them.

NoRM
Old 01-01-2008, 04:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The driving "manners" of a detroit locker are simply the operater expecting characteristics of a limited slip diff. Detroit lockers work backwards from an LSD in that they are already locked until coming into a corner requiring the dog clutch on the slow side to release for different wheel speeds on the same axle. However when nominal torque is applied it will relock immediately causing both wheels to travel at the same speed. If the operater is not used to this or not familiar with this behavior the vehicle will kick out right away, the lower the adhesion to the road (bare ice) the quicker it reacts. Detroit lockers on pavement will amplify everything your open or LSD units are designed to eliminate like out of aligned frames, axles or steering. Lockers should NOT be used in front diffs except in offroad vehicles due to their aggressive reactive behaviors (= lack of steering capabilities) in some situations. OEM are required to install open diffs in all front diffs on rear wheel 4 wheel drive vehicles. However like Munk said it is possible to drive on very slippery roads with a locker (maybe 2) but you definitely want to know what the vehicle will react like. Every CTD I have owned so far has had LSD failure issues and I replace them with true Detroit Lockers, these are unless the diff itself is destroyed a drive it home item. Open diffs, LSD's and air lockers are not as forgiving 100+ miles back in the bush. Towing heavily loaded trailers with a true locker also requires some understanding between you and your vehicle, they will under some circumstances react violently to torque and aggresive power. A Detroit Locker unless it is broken will NOT allow the 2 wheels on the same axle to turn at seperate speeds except while coasting or feather footing around a corner on any hard surface. Detroit Lockers, True Trac, cable/electric/air lockers only use regular hypoid gear oil. Any LSD with clutches or friction plates requires friction modifiers in the oil or they will fail prematurely, the way they are set is also a factor in their effectiveness. OEM traditonally sets them for comfort and safety, not performance and again like Munk said your LSD could do what his truck did on unequal traction surfaces. When I buy replacement parts for failed units price is 2nd to reliability, why fix it or have to repair twice when not necessary. The second R&R will have paid for the extra cost of the right part installed for the job you ask your truck to do. PK
Old 01-02-2008, 10:06 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
P Kennedy--

A well worded post.

Quick Reply: best ls or locker for dually work truck