Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Off Road / 4x4 (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/off-road-4x4-111/)
-   -   4Bt Cummins in Totota (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/off-road-4x4-111/4bt-cummins-totota-167384/)

ray_420 09-01-2007 12:52 AM

4Bt Cummins in Totota

1 Attachment(s)
I am working on putting a 4BT Cummins in my 93 Toyota pickup. I have 4 inch suspension lift and a 3 inch body. I think every thing will clear ok. I heard that frito lay trucks have them with chevy mounts and a turbo 400 trans. I recently bought chevy 350 motor mount conversion from advanced adapters to drop a 350 in it. anyone know if the 4BT mounts are the same a the small block or not? Anyone know anything else that would help? Heres a pic of my truck.

Delectric 10-03-2007 01:41 PM

I'd like to put a 4BT in my Landcruiser. I know that Freightliner uses them in their step vans. As a matter of fact a new bare chassis was on e-bay with the 4BT and Allison tranny, Starting bid was $1500.00 but was a long ways away from me but what a deal. i know they also use them with the turbo 400. Check e-bay though they do have 4BT's from time to time. For your pick-up check these out- brand new cummins 3.3L. there are 10 available.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CUMMI...QQcmdZViewItem

mouseguy 10-03-2007 02:42 PM

Those are NA engines... no turbo. Only 85 HP. I wouldn't touch them, unless someone can figure out an inexpensive way to turbocharge them.

Delectric 10-04-2007 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by mouseguy (Post 1724812)
Those are NA engines... no turbo. Only 85 HP. I wouldn't touch them, unless someone can figure out an inexpensive way to turbocharge them.

So is it because the compression ratio is to high to turbo charge it? i actually went back and looked and you can get either a turbo'd or N/A engine. It does say 60-85 hp though so N/A 60hp and turbo'd 85hp? I did read an article where a guy put the 3.9L in his jeep and is putting out 400hp so I figured you could get 200+ out of the 3.3L. Anyway, research is definitely a must before buying.

1stGen545 10-06-2007 01:21 AM

heres a truck a friend did with a 4BT that we got out of a Freto lay truck. It has a Getrag fron his 92 dodge cummins and Dana 300 t-case Dana 60 and GM 14bolt rear both with 4.56's. Used all the stuff off of a dodge 1st gen (89-93) to bolt the motor to trans. used the flywheel housing, flywheel, pressure plate, clutch, hydro clutch system, and starter. lots of mods to the 4b injectors, turbo, pump work, and now it has more power than most 6bt trucks and quicker than a few 6.0 fords [coffee] Just for scale those are 38x15.50x16 Super Swampers. heres what I did to them a few weeks later when he gave them to me http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHCsiQqdz9I

Delectric 10-07-2007 10:28 PM

Awsome!! Was it a tough conversion?

1stGen545 10-08-2007 10:14 PM

Not bad at all

TDIwyse 10-12-2007 12:28 PM

If you're interested in the B3.3T you can read the thread below. I put one in my YJ. There's about 10 pages of info about it. I'm putting out somewhere in the neighborhood of 140 hp and 325 ft-lbs.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=112807

Originally Posted by Delectric (Post 1726681)
So is it because the compression ratio is to high to turbo charge it? i actually went back and looked and you can get either a turbo'd or N/A engine. It does say 60-85 hp though so N/A 60hp and turbo'd 85hp? I did read an article where a guy put the 3.9L in his jeep and is putting out 400hp so I figured you could get 200+ out of the 3.3L. Anyway, research is definitely a must before buying.

Delectric 10-19-2007 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by TDIwyse (Post 1738140)
If you're interested in the B3.3T you can read the thread below. I put one in my YJ. There's about 10 pages of info about it. I'm putting out somewhere in the neighborhood of 140 hp and 325 ft-lbs.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=112807

That's plenty of power for your YJ. Sounds like an awsome combo!

Hot Dawg 01-19-2008 02:32 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Yep, love my swap!!! Got about 9k miles on it so far. Its an easy swap just take your time and get all the parts you need gathered up before hand.

Check out 4btswaps.com plenty of info there!

totalloser 02-18-2011 06:09 PM

Bad choice for a hilux IMO. Go 1.9 tdi and you have more starting power, and a LOT less weight. You can get kits to bolt to the stock w56-w59 transmissions (or any 4cylinder xm but taco w59's need a w56 bell to make it work) DO NOT USE early L series transmissions behind ANY conversion. They will not hold up.

With gm crate conversions the frame is often the weak link, and the bt torque will be a MONSTER for the Hilux frame.

As to turbo, fab up a mild steel manifold and bolt on a hy35 and plumb it in. Engine will handle it fine. Past about 15psi you really should have an aftercooler (usually incorrectly referred to as "intercooler") or the adiabatic compression heating from the turbo will just create more heat, not more airflow. The pressure will climb, but more air will not be moved.

Early 4bt's are ve inline pumps. Great for running funky fuels like wvo, but not big powerhouses. Probably the limiting factor on power would be fuel delivery from the ve pump.

penguinman 06-19-2011 10:15 PM

Call or google Proffitt's cruisers in Colorado, that's all they do....you could at least get some great advice....

RLMS 08-02-2011 07:54 PM

Cummins motors in toyota minis are a little heavy for the frame, but can be done with some fab. A popular swap for minis is the merc om617. We just put one in for a customer in a 77 FJ-40. But cummins motors are the shizzz. I would do a 4bta with a 700r4 then an atlas. I would also plate the frame and truss the yoda axles, and knuckles.

Proffits is not the only toyota shop that can do a C swap.> RedLine Lansdcruisers.com can as well![coffee]
Justin

Armytaco 08-04-2011 07:17 PM

Seems like they can make power. I mean come one their was an 11 second Camero in Diesel Power with a 4bt swap.

justinsdad 08-05-2011 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by totalloser (Post 2926798)
Bad choice for a hilux IMO. Go 1.9 tdi and you have more starting power, and a LOT less weight. You can get kits to bolt to the stock w56-w59 transmissions (or any 4cylinder xm but taco w59's need a w56 bell to make it work) DO NOT USE early L series transmissions behind ANY conversion. They will not hold up.

With gm crate conversions the frame is often the weak link, and the bt torque will be a MONSTER for the Hilux frame.

As to turbo, fab up a mild steel manifold and bolt on a hy35 and plumb it in. Engine will handle it fine. Past about 15psi you really should have an aftercooler (usually incorrectly referred to as "intercooler") or the adiabatic compression heating from the turbo will just create more heat, not more airflow. The pressure will climb, but more air will not be moved.

Early 4bt's are ve inline pumps. Great for running funky fuels like wvo, but not big powerhouses. Probably the limiting factor on power would be fuel delivery from the ve pump.

VE pumps are rotary not inline, awesome pump that is simple to work on to and get power out of, plenty have seen over 500 rwhp in the 5.9, all performance mods for the 6 cyl version work on the 4cyl version, same with the older v dubs.
There are a couple ve pumps that have broken the 700hp mark.