Off Road / 4x4 OffRoad discussion, along with 4x4 events and information.

Winch questions.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 07:40 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
Winch questions.

I am planning on installing a HD winch (10,000 lb min) in the near future and am trying to find out the pros and cons of electric versus hydraulic. By hydraulic, I am referring to the one that is driven off the steering pump.
Any preference between Warn and Mile Marker?
This winch will not just be used for emergencies, but will be used to pull trees out and various other neat things, so it will see a fair amount of use.
This winch will be installed in the new bumper I am installing.
Any other thoughts and suggestions will be appreciated.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:52 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Mexstan
I am planning on installing a HD winch (10,000 lb min) in the near future and am trying to find out the pros and cons of electric versus hydraulic. By hydraulic, I am referring to the one that is driven off the steering pump.
Any preference between Warn and Mile Marker?
This winch will not just be used for emergencies, but will be used to pull trees out and various other neat things, so it will see a fair amount of use.
This winch will be installed in the new bumper I am installing.
Any other thoughts and suggestions will be appreciated.
I'd go with the electric. You must be enjoying the $2.00/gallon diesel,huh? Heard El Presidente froze the prices on certain commodies too. Nice.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd go electric. Because dont you need your truck running to use the hydraulic.
Plus with two good batteries, you should be able to pull yourself out of trouble.
I have a mile marker winch on my GN trailer to pull junk (or antique tractors as some people call them) on to my trailer. Works great.
Old 06-21-2008, 07:51 PM

I use hydraulic. Will use nothing else. I have a mile marker 12,000 on mine.

Here's a link. The winch is heavy and so is the mount. I used a Reunel on my last pickup and with the winch was a very heavy setup. This time I just got a winch mount. And it's still a very heavy setup.

Do your homework; because you will need power and leverage to properly run a winch.

http://www.milemarker.com/multimedia.html

Jeff
Old 06-21-2008, 09:34 PM

An electric works best for short quick self recovery and the hydraulic for long hard pulls.
Electric runs faster at partial load, speeds up and slows down as weight increases, hydraulic just runs 1 slow speed regardlesss of load.
Electric can pull full load 20-30 ft. and will need to cool off, hydraulic can pull all day.
Dodge diesel has a big powerful ps pump that works great with hydraulic winches.
Old 06-22-2008, 03:02 AM

Oh, get a PTO!
Old 06-22-2008, 06:55 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Originally Posted by jeffahart
I use hydraulic. Will use nothing else. I have a mile marker 12,000 on mine.

Here's a link. The winch is heavy and so is the mount. I used a Reunel on my last pickup and with the winch was a very heavy setup. This time I just got a winch mount. And it's still a very heavy setup.

Do your homework; because you will need power and leverage to properly run a winch.

http://www.milemarker.com/multimedia.html

Jeff
Thanks guys for the info. Jeff, that video was great and confirms what my independent research has disclosed. Looks like I will soon be installing a MM 12,000 lb hydraulic winch.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:43 PM

A wise choice!

Download FM20-22 VEHICLE RECOVERY OPERATIONS off the internet. It is the field manual I used when I was in the Army, you will probably learn a couple things. It has good information on vehicle recovery.

If you cannot find the pdf on-line then pop me an e-mail and I'll send you a copy.

jeffahart@socal.rr.com

Check out page 25 to ensure your ****** block setup is giving you 2:1 and not 1:1 advantage!

Get a good ****** block.

Jeff
Old 06-25-2008, 07:26 AM

they have those recovery manuals in the pirate4x4 tech section

edit:
here scroll down to military manuals
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...DFs/index.html
Old 06-25-2008, 02:03 PM

On a big heavy diesel Id run a PTO or Hydro winch, granted there are 15k electric winchs, but I trust a 12k hydro over a 15k electric when pulling a extremely heavy weight
Old 06-25-2008, 02:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The hydraulic or the pto winch would be better but I might add that I have a rear mounted 15,000 Warn and have been really satisfied with it. Have never had to double the cable to pull. I took the receiver hitch off the truck and midified it for the winch mount. The winch now unbolts with the receiver hitch.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:44 AM

Thanks again for all the replies. I have definitely decided on a Mile Master 12,000 pound hydraulic winch. Now I just have to find a front bumper for it. Would prefer the SS Reunel, but they do not have a model that has a suitable mount for the Mile Marker, only Warn.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:47 AM

Thanks again for all the replies. I have definitely decided on a Mile Master 12,000 pound hydraulic winch. Now I just have to find a front bumper for it. Would prefer the SS Reunel, but they do not have a model that has a suitable mount for the Mile Marker, only Warn.
MM and Warn use the same mount pattern?!?
Old 06-29-2008, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by RickCJ
MM and Warn use the same mount pattern?!?
That's what I thought, but I checked with Reunel and they told me a MM will not fit their bumper. Figured they should know.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:45 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
That's what I thought, but I checked with Reunel and they told me a MM will not fit their bumper. Figured they should know.
For the record, I have a '92 Bronco with a Reunel Extreme Duty bumper with the MM hydraulic 10.5k winch. When I bought the bumper (in 2000), they told me the same thing, that it wouldn't work... It works just fine!!! They don't really know!

Quick Reply: Winch questions.