Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Off Road / 4x4 (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/off-road-4x4-111/)
-   -   2wd mega cab easily stuck off road (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/off-road-4x4-111/2wd-mega-cab-easily-stuck-off-road-258127/)

mrbrownmegacab 11-28-2009 09:34 AM

2wd mega cab easily stuck off road

I recently inherited a stock 2006 2500 megacab 5.9 CTD 2wd. I have gone barely off road turning around in a yard twice and got stuck both times. The back tires rip away the grass and just spin on top of mud. I am not used to offroad driving and these experiences were really frustrating and embarrassing.

Is it just not feasible to take this truck off the pavement?

Would bigger mud tires make a huge difference?

From what I have discovered the stock tires are 32x10.5 17. I was considering getting 33x12.5 MT's on the stock rims. Would this help? I don't want to trudge through mud holes? Just be able to drive across my property in the wet grass.

This second time we got it out rocking it back and forth and pushing it. I guess I am learning more of the driving technique.

What other ideas do you guys have?

Also I don't tow or haul anything more than some camping gear in the bed. Do I NEED to buy the twice the price LT tires?

nelrod 11-28-2009 09:54 AM

I am really not trying to be discouraging, but a 2WD diesel will just about get stuck in wet grass going downhill. In my experience anyway. I know my old 87 ford will get stuck in the driveway by the barn, and I have to put it in 4WD. All the extra weight of the diesel engine up front, and now these truck are so long and no wt to amt to anything in back. If you keep it I would get a winch on it and keep some chains and straps in toolbox. (Then the winch is extra wt. too though on front.) Maybe you could get one that you slide in hitch in front or rear. But maybe it is a lot flatter where you live. I guess if I was intent on keeping it, I would get some HEAVY steel plate and try to mount it underneath? Personally, I would sell it and get a 4WD. There are people that have them, so they will get on here and give you some better ideas I hope. Really,AFAIK, about all you can do is put weight in back and get better tires.

Darryl&Rita 11-28-2009 10:01 AM

Tires and driving skill will help, but it is heavy in the front and light in the rear

Lurch 11-28-2009 10:09 AM

Duals are great for toting a load but the same weight distribution works against you when empty. My 01.5 would get stuck frighteningly easy, always had to be careful where I went with it.. My 98 has a good limited slip in it and I've been amazed at some of the places I've gotten out of with it. Extra weight in the back helps but you need alot of it. Took about 1000# to make a difference in snow & ice when I still lived in IA and had to deal with that. If you're in mud/soft ground extra weight isn't really a good thing.

mrbrownmegacab 11-29-2009 01:51 PM

Ok thanks for the info. Winch is a good idea. I found this one pretty cheap. http://www.4wheelparts.com/Winches-W..._pn=S%2fB97281

n2moto 03-10-2010 04:53 AM

A 2WD CTD will get stuck if you spit in the street.

rip 112 03-10-2010 08:22 AM

I'd like to agree with you ^, but only somewhat. I have had to deal with a 2wd (happily) and its ease of losing traction. Found that 20's with wide all terrains help me out about 80% of the time now. For my business, I have to cross yards and property and I haven't had too many issues since the terra grapplers went on.

I see it like this, 4wd on a big diesel like ours can help or hurt you. 4wd is good for ppl needing a low range to move heavy loads, back up, etc, but should the need arise you get stuck from what i have seen 4wd will just make you more stuck. most cases i see around here are ppl sinkin in the front.

nwflyoda 03-10-2010 08:32 AM

my girl friends dad has gotten stuck twice w/ his 2wd mega cab. and both times he was pulling his bumper pull trailer w/ his truggy on it. the last time he got stuck his wife had to pull him out w/ her h1. granted he has stock tires on it but he wishes he had a 4wd. i know i've needed mine some times (to pull my buddy out w/ his cummins a d 32' gooseneck loaded down).

the only think i can think of is if you really want to keep the truck then the added weight in the bed should help along w/ better tires.

03RAMBUNCTIOUS 03-10-2010 08:45 AM

welcome to the 2wd world. Stay on pavement. If you do get on grass make sure it is grass you can tear up. When I get stuck I use A LOT of wheel speed to get me out. usually row through the gears until about fourth.

If it snows where I am at in NM, mostly flat I put three 55 drums in the bed full of water to keep the rear down.

Also, do a search for a concrete bed liner if wanting to add permanent weight.

mrbrownmegacab 03-15-2010 08:23 PM

cool, thanks for the info and tips

rip 112 03-15-2010 08:34 PM

Also found having a crew of friends jumping up and down like drunk rednecks on the back helps out alot too, have had to do that one once or twice.

roughstock 03-15-2010 09:48 PM

my truck is 2wd. I put Cooper ST-C on the back and then put a flatbed on,(only because I wrecked it), this bed weighs a ton. (roughly) and it helps a lot. Had one of the worst winters in a while in iowa and I didnt get stuck once.
Moral of the story: aggressive tires, weight, and DONT STOP.

cincydiesel 03-22-2010 08:52 PM

I'm scared to get onto wet grass with my 4-wheel drive.. Way too much weight in the front. Might wanna try one "Hoss's concrete bedliners"[laugh]

kennyblatz 03-24-2010 11:55 PM

driving on icy/snowy roads i can say wieght makes a HUGE difference put 500lbs of sand bags in the back. i use 200-800 lbs try not to spin the tires and keep momentom up the more speed the better.

Dodgeski 03-25-2010 06:10 AM

More wheels speed will not help. try starting out with little or no throttle. once the wheels brake loose, your done. do you have a limited slip diff? Other than that weight and a better tread.