NCDTR #18 Forum for the North Carolina chapter #18

Coastal Plains Feb.21st

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 08:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coastal Plains Feb.21st

I would like to invite anyone that wants to do some test and tuning to come to "Coastal Plains Dragway" on Saturday February 21, 2009.

I have a friend that is renting the track from 11am to 7pm for some serious grudge racing plus test and tune and I asked him if it was ok if I invited some diesels to the event(since I have one) and he said bring them on anyone is invited!!!!

It is costing alot of $$$ to rent the track for that amount of time and to make sure it is race prepped so the intry fee will be $25.00 for vehicle and driver and $10.00 for specatators.

The grudge racers will not be posting times on the board because money is involved but I'm gonna see if they will run the diesels seperate so the times can be shown.Either way you will still get an ET slip.

Kevin will be videoing the full event and will post the video on streetfire plus he will be taking pictures.
I hope we can have a good showing from DTR and it will be a perfect opportunity to get to meet some of the guys here.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:04 AM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
David:

Hey buddy, thanks for the phone call yesterday and for posting this up for the Members!

I will definitely be coming out there to join you guys but will probably just make a few passes in the 2006. I still have to get my Dana 70 taken care of in the 96.'

---------
John_P
Old 02-11-2009, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by John_P
David:

Hey buddy, thanks for the phone call yesterday and for posting this up for the Members!

I will definitely be coming out there to join you guys but will probably just make a few passes in the 2006. I still have to get my Dana 70 taken care of in the 96.'

---------
John_P

John

You still aren't giving anyone much of a chance by driving your OTHER red trucklike it's slow or something.

If I can get my pump on I might just bring the 6.0 out and we can have a rematch.....except this time you can't lock the converter like you did before
I actually haven't run my truck since that time at the track with you.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:50 AM
Banned

There is a dyno day at Majestic the same day and the SunCoast Dyno day down in Florida is that weekend too. Looks like we won't make it to Florida and may stop by the dyno but I'll let Winston and Chris know about this. Do you mind if I post it in the local sub forum of a Duramax site?
Old 02-11-2009, 10:57 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by iracemx6
John

You still aren't giving anyone much of a chance by driving your OTHER red trucklike it's slow or something.

If I can get my pump on I might just bring the 6.0 out and we can have a rematch.....except this time you can't lock the converter like you did before
I actually haven't run my truck since that time at the track with you.
------------------------------------------------------------------
David:

You are not giving yourself enough credit with your 6.0 Ford PSD! Your truck runs darn good and as I have said many times it is still the fastest "daily driver" Ford PSD that I have seen around here.

If you can get your truck ready that would be great David! If we race though I have to lock the converter!!
Old 02-11-2009, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by OthrGrl
There is a dyno day at Majestic the same day and the SunCoast Dyno day down in Florida is that weekend too. Looks like we won't make it to Florida and may stop by the dyno but I'll let Winston and Chris know about this. Do you mind if I post it in the local sub forum of a Duramax site?
I would appreciate it if you would!!!!!

I kinda backed out of the diesel stuff(everyone know's Ford's aren't fast),but really enjoy seeing them run so I asked Kevin could I invite
some and he said bring em on.

I have seen you several times at Coastal,but was busy with my race truck and didn't get a chance to meet you so hopefully we can get a good group together and make this a BIG showing! Thanks
Old 02-11-2009, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by John_P
------------------------------------------------------------------
David:

You are not giving yourself enough credit with your 6.0 Ford PSD! Your truck runs darn good and as I have said many times it is still the fastest "daily driver" Ford PSD that I have seen around here.

If you can get your truck ready that would be great David! If we race though I have to lock the converter!!

Then I guess I will have to mash that SPECIAL button that seems to wake that 6.0 up then

The last time we run and you locked the converter I thought you had pulled a quick one on me and sprayed that thing.....I was like where's he going in such a hurry
Old 02-11-2009, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by ShakinRedCTD
David,

I wish I had my TST still as I would give you an HONEST run for your money...LOL. I ran the 12.76 @ 105 with John P in Sept last year. I have since sold the TSt....(DANG IT) and run 13 flats all day long. But you can bet JP and I will be lining up again since he is going to tune th06 up this time. He forgot his Smarty when we went 2 weeks ago...LOL

I will 99.9999% be there...
So you are the one John was trying to get to spank me

Nahh...he told me we would be a close race,but I haven't been to the track with my truck since I run with John last.....been too busy with my race truck!

I really hate to run my truck anymore because I have larger injectors and a smaller turbo since I last run it and I know it's gonna choke itself out.
You would yank my front bumper off on fuel only....I need spray to get rid of all the fuel I have
Old 02-11-2009, 12:17 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by iracemx6
So you are the one John was trying to get to spank me

Nahh...he told me we would be a close race,but I haven't been to the track with my truck since I run with John last.....been too busy with my race truck!

I really hate to run my truck anymore because I have larger injectors and a smaller turbo since I last run it and I know it's gonna choke itself out.
You would yank my front bumper off on fuel only....I need spray to get rid of all the fuel I have
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
David:

I would love to see you and Nate run! The way your truck ran with me, I think you would win. No offense Nate.....................
Old 02-11-2009, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by ShakinRedCTD
I know he will...with the TST...it would be ON!!!!
Unless I up the PILL size

Sorry guys but these 6.0's will not run with the Dodge or Dmax on fuel ONLY due to our sorry HUEI fuel system.

That's why John run a 13.10@105(fuel only) and I run a 12.73@105 with a shot of spray with 190cc injectors.

I did do that on a bone stock transmission,headgaskets and a stock fuel system
Old 02-11-2009, 03:25 PM

I will be there unless I don't get my coolant bypass on by then. The last 2 times I've drag raced I blew headgaskets w/ o-rings. I need to get my wastegates adjusted anyway.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:52 PM
Banned

If you are fuel limited how is a shot of nitrous going to make you any faster??? My truck was fuel limited with it's single stock CP3 (and a problem holding rail pressure anyway) and with nitrous I don't feel I would have gotten any more out of it. If there is excess fuel to be burnt then yeah nitrous will help but also if that is the case then a bigger turbo would help as well and the fuel system isn't the limiting factor....yet.

Last edited by John_P; 02-11-2009 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Insulting Other Members and Their Trucks
Old 02-11-2009, 05:49 PM
Banned

Nate, he said he can't run on fuel only what we can because of the HUEI fuel system. I was just pointing out that saying that your sorry fuel system is the reason you can't run fast without nitrous is contradictory since excess fuel is needed for nitrous to help.

I already said that the Duramax (rods and pistons) can't hold the power in stock form that a Cummins will. I also said that I don't think that any one brand is better than the other 2 in every aspect (you obviously feel otherwise or won't admit this). I consider the 5 minutes it takes to pull out the seats preparation for racing - if you want to come less prepared and run slower times but then brag or whine about it have at it. Last I checked racing is about who crosses the line first, not who weighs the most doing it. Just like with sled pulling, it's about pulling the sled the furthest not about your truck weighing the least. You won't hear me complain about a truck weighing more at a sled pull and pulling further - I add weight (aka prepare) up to my class's max to sled pull.

I can't convince Winston of this however, and he has run 11.4s on a single charger on fuel only with under 800hp with a crew cab short bed with all his seats and random trash in the interior, his tool box in the bed, a tailgate, bumper, beefed up hitch for sled pulling, and on some cheap 265 ATs. Chris pulls his seats and tailgate but has everything else on the truck that is on it every day. I do the same and also have a roll pan. I did say that part of the reason why hp to hp Duramax's are faster is that they are typically lighter.

Not to bash the Cummins and don't take this personally but your Dodge needs a turbo to run 12.7 while all years of Duramax's have put out more hp and run faster times than yours on the stock turbo, fuel only. I know for sure every model 01-07.5 have gone at least 12.42 and dynoed 540+hp on stock charger, stock CP3, stock injectors, fuel only - don't know for sure if an LMM (07.5-current) has done quite that yet, but I know for sure they have gone at least 12.6. So penny for penny on mods I'd say you go further with a Dmax..... at least at first. For under $3000 (retail prices) I can put a duramax under 12.5 and over 530hp; and that's building a trans that will hold more - we could build a trans to hold just that for less. It's when you start going further that penny for penny quickly evens out.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:16 PM
Banned

Actually all my best times have been at over 3/4 tank, lol. Peak power on the dyno doesn't mean much to me if there's not much under the curve - I could tune a Dmax to have higher peak hp but at a sacrifice of area under the curve. I was out of fuel as well and that is why a dual fueler kit was going to be the next thing to go on the truck. With the headers and up-pipes and the new more effecient tuning I would be willing to bet I would have been flirting with 11s - without the dual fuelers and easily in the 11s with them.

While we're bench racing - why is there a tuning and lift pump only Duramax running 12.4s all day every time it goes to the track? Chris ran a 12.97 with this list of mods:
Built trans
Tuning
Exhaust

That's it.... after the lift pump he dropped to the 12.4s that he still runs. All on the stock turbo, down-pipe, intake, injectors, CP3, ect, ect. Nothing under the hood touched. And he has the bumper and hitch and all on there.

BTW I definately agree and have said that your truck runs exceptionally well for a programmer and turbo only....... Dodge. We just expect more out of Duramax's after you add a turbo - I expected more out of my modified stock turbo than what I was getting, but I was plaqued with a fuel pressure issue and couldn't get the full benefit of the added air. Even on that stock CP3 I should have been getting more rail pressure and on teardown I will be inspecting and possible replacing the driver's side fuel rail. After I get it back together with the fuel pressure issue fixed we'll see what that modded stock turbo's really got.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:26 PM
Administrator

This thread is about the "Coastal Plains Dragway" Event on February 21st, 2009, NOT about "bench racing" or discussion on Chevy vs Ford vs Dodge!

If you want to discuss that, start another thread, but lets keep this thread ON TOPIC and avoid the sarcastic brand comments and personal comments about other Members trucks.

Thank you.

---------
John_P

Quick Reply: Coastal Plains Feb.21st