NCDTR #18 Forum for the North Carolina chapter #18

Mechanic Reccomendations (Charlotte, NC)

Old 05-11-2012, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mechanic Recomendations (Charlotte, NC)

Hey Guys/Gals,
Just a quick shout out to my local Carolinians with regard to any suggestions for a good diesel guy/shop near or around my local area of Charlotte.
Thankfully the truck (or more importantly, the CUMMINS) has lived up to it's rep with little to no problems. However, as I crest the 100K mark, I know that some preventative maintinance/repairs are inevitable.

Again, I really apprecaite any suggestions on this subject. I've always had good luck on this site relative to reliable advise...

Ya'll have a great weekend and a Happy Mother's day!
Old 06-10-2012, 10:11 PM

Haha, after meeting a few of these guys, I know why this post kinda went unanswered. I've not let another mechanic touch my truck since meeting this super knowledgeable group. I just get out the old service manual and do it myself usually with alot of help from these guys. A GREAT GREAT GROUP. Things kinda slacked off when the economy went to crap, but lots of info and confidence to be gained. Wish I knew someone to recommend down your way. Very smart looking for a place to go BEFORE something might happen. Why can't I ever do that? If you ever need a hand swinging a wrench, be sure to ask here. Money's for fuel is usaully tight on my end, but I like to help out when I can.

Keegan
Old 06-11-2012, 12:42 PM

What's up "Unruly"? I really apprecaite your response (and that makes plenty of since)...
However, time and knowhow prevent me from doing a lot of things that I might otherwise myself try to tackle. Perfect example...I would be looking for someone that is just and comfortable and confident changing out injectors as they would be a standard oil change. A lot of PM maintinance and such I do myself (oil, fuel filer, fluid changes in general, along with multiple "bolt on mods" I can handle). But again, when it comes to some high level stuff I would like to have someone in my back pocket.

Thanks for the offer to help out at some point (i'll probably look to you for some advise/ guidance moving forward if you don't mind).

Hope all is well on your end and keep my in mind if and when you know of any diesel events going on "locally"!

Take it easy brother...
Old 06-11-2012, 10:21 PM

I've done headstuds and injectors a few times now. Not that hard, just gotta find someone to show ya the first time. Valve springs aren't too hard with the right tool, not very fun though. Of course, if your cramped for time, that's a different story.

June 22-23rd - Big Lick Sled Pull
July 28th Straight Diesel Sled Pull and Mud Race (Peachland)
August 25th Farmington Dragway Straight diesel Sled Pull and Mud Race
-THURSDAY AUG 30TH - COAL ROLL'N DIESEL @ THE DIRTY MO TRUCK SHOW, COAL ROLLIN CONTEST(Mooresville Dragway)

THE WEEKEND THE SKY GOES BLACK
October 5-6th Big Licks Big Once a Year BiiiG Pull (Keep an eye out its gonna be legit this year, think NTPA mixed with the best of the Diesels)
October 5-6th Charlotte Diesel Supershow at Zmax Dragway(Lots of flashy tractor trailers)

October 20th - Galloways Fall Truck Show/Pull
Old 06-12-2012, 07:31 PM

You the man there Unruly...

I apprecaite you laying out all those dates. I'll shoot you a PM with my cell. Make sure to give me a shout and we can hook up at one of these hopefully.

Thanks again for the look!

BTW: I have to say...I'm a huge fan of when you had the lift and 37s on your ride with the stocker wheels. Did you have any issues while running that set-up? (i.e wheel wonder or the like?) Obviously i see you have since upgraded your wheels (whick look good). But again, i'm thinking of going with 4-6 inches of lift with 37x12.5x17 on my stockers. Thoughts/ recomendations?

Have a good one brother...
Old 06-12-2012, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by cstewart
BTW: I have to say...I'm a huge fan of when you had the lift and 37s on your ride with the stocker wheels. Did you have any issues while running that set-up? (i.e wheel wonder or the like?) Obviously i see you have since upgraded your wheels (whick look good). But again, i'm thinking of going with 4-6 inches of lift with 37x12.5x17 on my stockers. Thoughts/ recomendations?

Have a good one brother...
Haha, which pics you talking about? The ones with the 6" lift, stock wheels and 40's? I had to trim the wheel wells to fit those.

Should clear fine with a 6" and 37's. I had a 2" spacer on the front and clear 35's pretty easily. Maybe a 4" would clear the 37's okay too. Dunno. My thought has always been if I couldn't make the tire rub a little, I didn't get it big enough.

4" or more lift and you'll want a good steering stab or 2 of them to keep the wander down. Superlift makes a nice dual setup.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:36 PM

Honestly, I guess I had just assumed those were 37s you were running on the stock wheels (WOW......did not know you were running 40s)

Yeah, already looking at a duel stabilizer set-up. Any suggestions on a good 6" kit?

The wife is not wild about the idea of putting on the lift, but there again, I can't remeber the last time she even rode in the truck .
Old 06-12-2012, 09:39 PM

I'll be honest, if I had it to do all over again(especially if I had an auto), I'd put the lift/tire money towards power mods and trans mods. I had alot more fun playing with the power than with the lift.

That being said, I'm very happy with my superlift and bilstein shocks. You don't need the extra reservoir shocks unless you just want more bling you have to clean. But cheap shocks can ruin an already rough ride in a heavy duty truck. BDS used to make good stuff. TopGun Customs in Tenn also put together lots of lifts too. Don't know what they ride like. Just gotta look/ask around. I've not researched any lifts in 6 or 7 years, so their might be some better riding lifts out there. I don't know. At the time, I had to have my long-arm lift custom made. I've seen several cheapo copies of my lift since then, even in a recent diesel world magazine. They screwed up and used heim joints which ride like crap and transmit every little vibration to the frame. They couldn't even get a front driveshaft back in it.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:02 AM

"I'll be honest, if I had it to do all over again(especially if I had an auto), I'd put the lift/tire money towards power mods and trans mods. I had alot more fun playing with the power than with the lift."

^^^Funny you say this. This is the conflict I have been battling with (and as a matter of fact the wife and I have had this conversation multiple time. Her opinion seems to be "spend what you want on motor mods, but don't redneck it up with any additional lift". Plus she is only 5' 3"....between her and my 2 1/2 year old, they will never be able to get in with ease (i don't know if that's good or bad )

Anyway, I truly appreciate the advise. I already have a tranny fund that is going to Garmon when the time comes so that I have no worries there. And to your point I think I'm gonna focus more on performance mods moving forward and for-go the lift (although again, it's hard to look at pics of these trucks with 6" and 37s...oh well, maybe at 34 I should let that "look at me" stuff alone)

Guess the next steps will be an upgraded turbo, Air-Dog, and upgraded injectors (suggestions is this arena are welcome). Still looking for a set-up that is reasonible for daily driving and occational towing! In all, I would love to hover around 450-500 HP.

Again, hope all is well on your end and thanks again for all the solid suggestions/guidance!
Old 06-13-2012, 11:32 PM

My brother has a turbo on his truck that spools fast, cools great and runs good, tows like a beast. Should hit the 500hp easily or more if tuned well and be quick. I'll have to ask what it is. Personally, for all out fun, power and coolness, I'll never own another Cummins without twin turbos. I've got the BD towing twins and their awesome up to about 600rwhp. Then you run out of air. But they're super quick. BUT COST MONEY, ugh. I like the F1 injectors. And you'll definitely need more fuel to the CP3 with and Air-dog or some sort. Caution though, once you start enjoying a new turbo, the stock tranny is on borrowed time. Don't expect any turbo to spool like the stock turbo though. Those things are lightening quick, but prone to overspooling and grenading or breaking the little shaft.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:37 PM

One more thing, going to the track with a big truck and making good passes was the funnest thing I enjoyed doing. I remember going to Rockingham for test n tune and the ricers wouldn't pull forward and race the big Slow truck. The guy made them pull up and I started whipping them pretty good. The announcer was making fun of them, telling them I still had a full size 40" spare in the bed. hahaha, sled pulling was fun too, but tough on parts. wish I could do it again, but not til I can drop in a built auto. Love the dynos and the track runs though. lots of fun with this group of guys. I really woulda been hauling without the lift and some smaller tires
Old 06-14-2012, 03:09 PM

Oh yeah brother, that's funny as hell! I would have loved to see you black smokin' ricers with a 8,000 lb. rig!

To your point (and beleive me, I will be looking to lean on you for advise as the time comes).
I have the following mods in mind moving forward. Of course, the order of such will greatly depend on the idea that all parts "hold" to this order:
Complete Tranny rebuild via Garmons (http://www.garmonsdieseldrivetrain.c...ts-And-Pricing) NOT TRYING TO ADVERTISE HERE!
Upgrade to Smarty S0-6/ or EFI Live
Air-dog
Aftermarket Turbo (twins would be ideal, but as you say $$$. We'll see...)
Injectors

If my wife saw this list (and new the $ math) she would ban me from this sight and move forward with divorce proceedings!

Anyhow...I get excited just talking about it. Again, hopefully we can hook up at one of these events soon enough. I'm gonna make sure my schedule is clear for the Big Lick event next weekend (let me know if you can do either day)! Regardless, even in cases where I have hit up some of these events solo, I have always had good luck running into some really good guys that just enjoy talking truck!

You have a great weekend if I don't talk to you! Looks like the weather is going to be PERFECT!

Take it easy and keep in touch brother!