NCDTR #18 Forum for the North Carolina chapter #18

Any Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 04:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any Suggestions?

I am tired of the Baltimore Metro Rat Race and my wife and I and our best friends are looking to move to the NC area. None of us have a real big preference where but would like to be near (with in a hour or so) of the mountains and some good 4wheel'n (Jeeps). My wife works in the hospital operating room, I can just about do anything. Friends are a electrician and his wife is a lawyer.

What would you all suggest as a area, best hospital, decent jobs...

Thanks
Chris
Old 12-22-2010, 07:02 PM

Asheville is in the mountains and beautiful. Charlotte is 2 hours from the mountains and an hour or so south of 4wheeling in the Uwharrie Forest . Piedmont Triad(Winston-Salem, Greensboro, High Point) 1.5 hours from the mountains and about an hour north of the Uwharrie Forrest. Boone is in the mountains and is home to ASU. Good Luck. Jobs will be the hardest thing in this economy, but I fell in love with North Carolina during my first visit and ended up moving here. I really like northern High Point as far as access to highways, food and shopping, but away from the undesirable areas of the city. Skeet Club Road has lots of nice residential areas.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:01 AM

Yeah, we love what we have seen so far too. We go to Sunset Beach every summer for a week. We are probably still a year away from a move but if she can find a hospital surgery job it may be sooner. May have to spend some more vacation time in the mountains of NC this summer. She has a offer in Alaska that she could take at anytime (she lived there 4 years) but I am trying to convince her to stay somewhere warmer...
Old 01-04-2011, 05:33 PM

Stay Away from jacksonville!!!
Old 01-04-2011, 06:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Clemmons/lewisville is a really nice area. 10 min from baptist or forsyth hospitals and an abundance of nice houses and business oportunity.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by apocalypse1812
Stay Away from jacksonville!!!
Why?
Old 01-09-2011, 09:24 AM

It is a poopoo Hole!!!

Last edited by BC847; 01-09-2011 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Language
Old 01-09-2011, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Taylor
I am tired of the Baltimore Metro Rat Race and my wife and I and our best friends are looking to move to the NC area. None of us have a real big preference where but would like to be near (with in a hour or so) of the mountains and some good 4wheel'n (Jeeps). My wife works in the hospital operating room, I can just about do anything. Friends are a electrician and his wife is a lawyer.

What would you all suggest as a area, best hospital, decent jobs...

Thanks
Chris
Hey Chris
Check out New Bern NC. My wife worked at the hospital there for a few years before we moved. She also worked in the OR as a surgical tech. It was a small town on the water, but might be more then an hour away from the mountains. But it is always a thought.
Yeah Jacksonville really isn't a place to settle down at.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
...would like to be near (with in a hour or so) of the mountains and some good 4wheel'n (Jeeps). My wife works in the hospital operating room, I can just about do anything.
Clemmons/Lewisville area is about an hour from Boone, and 1.5 hrs from Mt. City (jeep wheeling) or the flats in Marion or Uwharrie. I would move there myself if I didn't already have kids in school with there friends here, or if I could actually sell my house for what I would need to get out of it. It is probably one of the "hottest" growing areas around as far as development, but still that hometown feel.