Natl. and Regional Chapters / Special Events Discuss events and rallies here. Also discuss your local and regional chapters.

DYNO & DRAGS IN LAS VEGAS

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2003, 07:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DYNO & DRAGS IN LAS VEGAS

So who's going to be there?

The Las Vegas TDR Chapter will hold a Dyno Day on Saturday, November 8, 2003 at Silver State Motorsports. In between May Madness Dyno Days, we have traditionally held an intermediate Dyno Day in the November—March time frame. This Dyno Day will be a testing and tuning type event, to show what progress is being made for the Tenth May Madness. Several high horsepower trucks have reportedly made significant progress since May 2003 and this will the time to show it! We have heard about a few 24 valve Rams knocking on the 700 hp door (right, Nathan, Nowel, and Opie??). The monster crew cab Ford with the 12-valve Cummins is struggling to get 800 hp (will Maddog make it? Will HVAC pour on the nitrous and get there?). Last May, around 40 trucks and 50 different configurations ran on the dynamometer. Horsepower numbers were the highest ever, by a long way. A dozen trucks showed more than 500 horsepower, and two were in the 700s.

Saturday, November 8 is a good date because the SEMA show is in Las Vegas November 4-7 and the Veterans' Day holiday is the following Tuesday, November 11. Many folks can get a long weekend by takinng off from work on Monday. The Las Vegas Motor Speedway (lvms.com) is holding a Midnight Mayhem drag "grudge" race Friday November 7.

For this event, we expect a substantial number of Fords and some Chevys to compete with the Dodges.

I can think of five reasons—undoubtedly there are more—for participating in the Dyno Day. First, one may want a baseline horsepower for a stock Turbo Diesel. Second, one may want to compare the improvement from a set of standard changes—like injectors, or a power box—to the truck’s previous number or to others’ results from the same kind of modifications. Third is the desire to “beat” others with similar configurations. Fourth is the desire for all-out competition. Fifth is the desire just to participate with others. This particular Dyno Day gives all the chance to run together on the same dyno at the same time, with a small correction factor that does not bring about the nay-sayers' criticism of “inflated” numbers.

Silver State is located at the LV Speedway, I-15 Exit 54, Building Q-Suite 103 (Vendors are welcome). Turn right at the bottom of Exit 54 off-ramp, right again after the Petro truck stop and before the Shelby building, and left through the gate to Bldg. Q. You can also get to Q by turning right after the Shelby building and taking the internal access road.

If you need a place to stay, check with Arizona Charlie’s—East on Boulder Highway, the site of May Madness. They have about 300 rooms and 200 RV spaces. Call 702-951-5900 or 800-362-4040 for the hotel; call 702-951-5911 or 800-970-7280 for the RV park. They will give the same rates as for May Madness, about $50 hotel and $18 RV park.

1997 club cab 4x4 5 speed; 774 hp on #2 fuel with Bell turbo & a few Diesel Dynamics toys. 2004 SLT QC 4x4 HO 6 speed; DD goodies.

ere?
Old 11-02-2003, 11:13 PM

Re:DYNO & DRAGS IN LAS VEGAS

I will be there and am looking forward to seeing Nowel and some of the No. Cal. guys and gals there. We need some 3rd generation trucks to give Joe D's new truck a spankin. I am trying to get more from So. Cal. Guys and Gals to go.
Bruce
Old 11-03-2003, 12:32 AM

I think Everybodys favorite Power Stroke Blabber mouth will be there! ;D

David said something about going to this after I told him he needed to show up.

Andrew
Old 11-03-2003, 08:30 AM

[quote author=TxDieselKid link=board=12;threadid=21895;start=0#msg204855 date=1067841158]
I think Everybodys favorite Power Stroke Blabber mouth will be there! ;D

David said something about going to this after I told him he needed to show up.

Andrew
[/quote]

Andrew, Is he going to have a truck to run or just his mouth. lol
Old 11-03-2003, 08:42 AM

Well when I talked to him last week, the race truck was still all about, it was running 12's on 2 dead cyclenders.

He has to have that truck there though, not much of a choice. It will see no break-in as it was thrown back together.

Andrew
Old 11-03-2003, 02:36 PM

You can count on me! And I'm gonna try to drag a few buddies with me...

Ya'll need to look for me though! Now that Greg lives in Tx, I got no-one to hang with!
Old 11-04-2003, 10:23 PM

I'll be there for shure! ;DBetween the sema show and this to look forward to i am in heaven!! ;D this is the first time i have been glad i live in vegas since we moved here :-*It will also probably be the last :-
Old 11-05-2003, 01:06 PM
Chapter President

The first event in town with my new truck, and I will be out of town!!! :'(

This blows, I hope you all have a good time, and best of luck on the dyno runs.
Old 11-05-2003, 02:31 PM

Bummer Brett! I called you last week to find out if you'd be here...

Are you going to be around on Friday night though? They are doing the races 1/4 mile at the speedway that night...
Old 11-05-2003, 03:59 PM
Chapter President

I head out to Fresno right after work... Hopefully we'll get a good report of how things go... :'(
Old 11-05-2003, 04:01 PM

I'll make it a point to!
Old 11-05-2003, 05:11 PM

Is this an event that was put together last minute, or is this a yearly event? I would have tried to catch a flight out there if I had known about it sooner, but the $ for a last minute flight is outrageous! Maybe I just don't know where to look for the schedules of upcoming events.
Old 11-05-2003, 05:20 PM

[quote author=amartinson link=board=12;threadid=21895;start=0#msg206158 date=1068073873]
Is this an event that was put together last minute, or is this a yearly event? I would have tried to catch a flight out there if I had known about it sooner, but the $ for a last minute flight is outrageous! Maybe I just don't know where to look for the schedules of upcoming events.
[/quote]

No... this was an event that the other diesel site puts on... I'm just going to piggie back off of it...
And I'm not really sure where to find out the info either - I've looked on the other site, and not found anything...
Old 11-06-2003, 11:09 PM

Joe D. started a thread on 9/27/03 on the other site under Local and Regional chapters. Las Vegas dyno day Nov. 8.
Bruce
Old 11-07-2003, 03:29 AM

Oh! Ok cool - thanks!

Hope to see everyone there tomorrow!

Quick Reply: DYNO & DRAGS IN LAS VEGAS