Natl. and Regional Chapters / Special Events Discuss events and rallies here. Also discuss your local and regional chapters.

Atlanta Dragway September 11th

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2004, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Atlanta Dragway September 11th

It's getting close to that time again. The 3rd Annual DPM diesel shootout during the Hayes Mopar vs The World event.

If you have never attended, this is a NHRA 1/4 mile track, and you will have the opportunity to race in front of thousands. I will have two diesel classes this year, my plan is for one bracket and one heads up. There is a payout for both classes, and I will elaborate more later on the payouts as I am still getting responses from sponsors.

In 2002, Jet Pilot (Doug Smith) made a 12.10 sec pass that was quickest of the year for a street diesel, and Clint Cannon showed the world a Duramax could make a quick pass too. In 2003, Dennis Perry made a 11.56 pass, and a host of other trucks in the 12's. My point, there will be some great heads up racing.

This year I know the Garmon Racing team will be there running low 11's or possibly 10's, the TS Performance team will be here running low 11's or 10's, and maybe a few more surprises.

Hotel information can be found at www.atlantadragway.com and keep checking back as I post more details.

Hope to see you all here...
Old 08-01-2004, 08:43 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up And it's not THAT far,,,,,,,

Hey David,
I posted this on the site calendar for ya,,,,,,,,
We attended this event in 2002 and it was a BLAST! There are several campgrounds really close to the dragway (we stayed at Country Boys RV which was formally the KOA). I am hoping to try and make it down for this year's event. After talking to David when he came up for Claremont, it sounds like it has grown bigger and better for its third year.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my work schedule will allow me to come down.
Old 08-02-2004, 05:27 PM

Thanks Dennis....

Ya know there ain't nothing wrong with having a little regional DTR Chapter meet down here.

Chris says he stayed at the Pottery Campgrounds and that they actually had concrete pads to park the campers on.

Maybe we can pick a host campground based on input from those that have camped.
Old 08-03-2004, 07:34 PM

UPDATE:

We will have a bracket class open to any who want to bracket race and a Pro Street Shootout.

Bracket Payout:

$500 Winner
$150 Second Place
$50 3rd & 4th

Pro Street Payout: $1500 first place only

Sponsored by:

Sun Coast Transmissions
TS Performance
Garmon's Diesel Performance

Diesel Performance Motorsports will award a $200 bonus to the quickest manual transmission equipped truck. Only competition round times qualify.

Rules are really simple.

Anyone can bracket race - 20 seconds to 9 seconds. Vehicle must pass current NHRA track rules for times run.

Pro Street - Must be Street Legal, Licensed and insured. All power adders legal. Quickest ET of the night will be awarded the purse. MPH will be used to break a tie. Vehicle must pass current NHRA track rules for times run.
Old 08-16-2004, 06:44 PM

Pro Street Racers -

If you are planning on coming, I would like you to send me a e-mail with an announcement sheet for your truck. Should be Owner name, Home town, Truck/Engine, Any sponsors you want recognized, and any other comments/accomplishments you wish to be announced over the PA.

Pro Street will run a Pro Ladder type system. This means you will make qualifying passes and staged based on times. Quickest ET of the round will determine any by-runs.

Pro Street will also go through track tech, then come to where I will be set-up and register for the Pro Street class where I will make sure you are equipped with the basics like loops etc.

I will have the diesel classes staggered so those that want to compete in both classes will have as much cool down time as possible.

Last year there was over 8500 in attendance so this is a good race to get your sponsors in front of the crowd.

Hope to see you there...
Old 08-16-2004, 08:16 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Sounds like fun David I am going to try to make this, If Dennis comes down I can help to keep him from leaving his camper lights on all night
Old 08-16-2004, 09:21 PM

[QUOTE]

I am planning on coming down for this event it has been a good time both times we have attended.
Dennis I hope you have your lights fixed by then, and not be trying to throw things or shoot/anything else that would hurt someone trying to let you know something maybe wrong

David is it to early to sign up for the dyno. I would like to put my nearly stock truck up on your roller.

Camper folks
If other folks are dragging there campers down, I'll drag ours down as well. We may have to check the lights before everyone turns in for the night, just so I don't get into trouble again
My vote is we stay at the Pottery Campground. Level sites and close to the track.

All of the above will be dependant on the Hurricanes that love the N.C. coast this time of year. I would rather watch go fast cars/trucks go down the track than cut up blown down pine trees
See ya
Chris
Old 08-17-2004, 09:14 AM
Administrator

Lightbulb Not a problem,,,,,,,,,,

I have removed the battery from the 5er and will be using "Glow-Sticks" for the RV lighting.
Old 08-22-2004, 10:02 AM
Administrator

What time are you gonna leave to head down there Chris? I would like to get there in time to maybe go to the track on friday night like we did the one year.

On Edit,,,,
I just got off the phone with ya, so post any info you come up with concerning the Pottery campground and whether you'll leave thursday or friday.

Dennis
Old 08-22-2004, 09:48 PM

Looks like I'll be going this year again. I have to visit my uncle in Hotlanta. A large branch fell on him a few days ago and opened his back from the shoulders to pelvis; one of his kidneys was visible. Except for a break on/near his ankle and a chip off his pelvis (that the docs decided not to repair), it was pretty much a large flesh wound.

Since I'll be in the area for a few days, I'll head up to the race and take a bunch of pictures.

N
Old 08-23-2004, 07:00 AM

Originally posted by murphyn
Looks like I'll be going this year again. I have to visit my uncle in Hotlanta. A large branch fell on him a few days ago and opened his back from the shoulders to pelvis; one of his kidneys was visible. Except for a break on/near his ankle and a chip off his pelvis (that the docs decided not to repair), it was pretty much a large flesh wound.

Since I'll be in the area for a few days, I'll head up to the race and take a bunch of pictures.

N
Man Neal, that is terrible. Glad to have you down for the race though.
Old 08-23-2004, 04:47 PM

Hello
Dennis
I will find the phone number to the campground and post it tonight. I am in the middle of getting Leigh Ann's truck ready to go for the trip to In. I best get off of this thing and get to work.
My plan is to leave outa here after work on Thursday and drive till I feel like stopping and crash out in the camper and finish the trip on Friday morning and get to the campground around noon or so.
They had races last year on Friday if I remember correctly.
See Ya
Chris
Old 08-23-2004, 05:18 PM

There will be open test and tune on Friday night. 6 - 11 pm most of the time. I'll be there.

We will be there so lets plan to make it a fun one.
Old 08-23-2004, 05:49 PM
Administrator

Thumbs up COOL,,,,,

Originally posted by PapaSmurf
Hello
Dennis
I will find the phone number to the campground and post it tonight. I am in the middle of getting Leigh Ann's truck ready to go for the trip to In. I best get off of this thing and get to work.
My plan is to leave outa here after work on Thursday and drive till I feel like stopping and crash out in the camper and finish the trip on Friday morning and get to the campground around noon or so.
They had races last year on Friday if I remember correctly.
See Ya
Chris
Click Here for the Pottery Campground website. I'm going to call them as soon as I know for sure that I can get Thursday and Friday off that way I can leave Thursday morning
Old 08-23-2004, 06:42 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
I can't make this one, Wifey had already put n for vacation, and I will be playing "Skipper" on the boat that weekend.

I hope everybody has a great time! Chris you will have to make sure Dennis doesn't leave the lights on David you will have to take over as Master Brat

Quick Reply: Atlanta Dragway September 11th