Introductions / New People If you're new to the site, feel free to introduce yourself here. Welcome!

Long time truck owner but new diesel owner

Old 09-10-2012, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Long time truck owner but new diesel owner

Okay so I've owned trucks my entire life, but just bought my first diesel truck two days ago, so I need all kinds of advice\tips\tricks for keeping it running like new. Thanks in advance for all your expertise.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:07 PM
Pickin on the wrong admin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to DTR...
Old 06-10-2017, 02:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought a 02 6.6 turbo duramax diesel 4x4. Engine seems to run good but has a slight muffler noise from breather box. If you disconnect breather box and both intercooler hoses, the noise changes to the intercooler feed where it enters engine on passenger side. Also, I have small bubbles about a half or less than half the size of a dime raising from my coolant reservoir. The upper radiator hose gets hard and if you remove the resivoir cap it will burp approx. a half gallon of coolant out, but truck don't run hot or hasn't yet. Truck seems to run great. No smoke of any color. Has black smoke when you excellerate, but that seems to be normal as from any diesel. Doesn't use any oil.
Originally Posted by Stanley Russell
Got a 05 5.9 h/o 5.9 cummins. Engine was rebuilt when I bought truck at 144k, due to the upper ring busting in #6 cylinder. They rebuilt engine and put a sleeve in the # 6 hole. I have 251k on truck now. Blowing oil out by pass tube. When you first crank it it runs a slight bit ruff at the beginning like something is on piston and blows blue smoke out exhaust afterwards you can't tell of any problems other than oil consumption. About a quart every two hours at 70 mph. Did notice a little antifreeze on block under head about middle on driver's side the other day and a little antifreeze is missing at times. It seems to run good though and still has power. I took filter off top of valve cover to make sure it wasn't stopped up and it was fine. Pulled oil fill cap off and it would lift it some and it gets a little extra pressure on occasion. I'm so aggravated I can scream! Thought cummins were better than this. My 95 was a beast! Suggestions please!
Heard it could be turbo backfeeding, waste gate, egr cooler, exhaust valve, head gaskets, injector cups. Help please! I got two diesels and they both cutting up. I'm about ready to drop them both and put a I/C-12 valves in both if I can't get them straight soon. I though diesels were great, but the newer ones seem to be huge headaches even worse than the ones I got. Diesels are supposed to run forever from what I been told. This truck was a one owner and a older owner and only been in 4x4 20-25 times. Doesn't look like it's hit the mud hardly at all. (I got a 91 Toyota hunting truck w/369k on it and they been hard ones.) (Wish I could get that from a diesel.)