Introductions / New People If you're new to the site, feel free to introduce yourself here. Welcome!

Hi folks

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 12:17 AM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi folks

I'm a lurker but that sign prompted me to post since I hadn't made one post yet. It suggested I come here and introduce myself, good idea.

My name's Monica. The other half and I will be moving back to the States shortly. We have been stationed in Japan for the last 3yrs (hubby is USN pilot).

I'll be doing my truck shopping, hopefully and EAGERLY planning on it the first weekend after we land. I've got '04-'06 5.9l 4wd QC SB (auto - I need it) on my shopping list. I will surely be a kid in a candy store with money in hand.

Yall take care

Ohh yeah, home is Texas (if that 'yall' didn't give it away)
Old 01-21-2009, 01:33 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Welcome to the DTR.

Small world, I'm in Japan too...
Old 01-21-2009, 01:42 AM

Thanks Madhat. We're up north on an AB. I hope yall are warmer than we are.

Today was spent running around prepping and setting my truck in the lemon lot for sale. While here I drove an Isuzu Wizard with the 3.1TD (4JG2). It was fun driving a baby diesel with 4.56 gears, but its time to move up again
Old 01-21-2009, 02:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the DTR. Im in Japan too, well Okinawa. Im from east Tx, what part are you from? I wish you were looking for a 03 6speed 4x4 cause I got one in Tyler Tx.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:11 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

No problem, Shorts...

It's cool here, the rain is setting in. I've only been here since Friday, still trying to get used to +14 EST time...

I see a lot of these small diesels around, I want to get one and mod it
Old 01-21-2009, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by madhat
No problem, Shorts...

It's cool here, the rain is setting in. I've only been here since Friday, still trying to get used to +14 EST time...

I see a lot of these small diesels around, I want to get one and mod it

Oh man, brand spankin' new. Well, at least you're arriving in the winter time. It's bad enough waking up at 4am due to body clock differences, but to do so in the summer with the sun already waiting on you, that's just...

Find a good diesel and go to town. But take note, put it back to stock for JCI or it'll cost you big time. I totally wimped out on lifting mine due to the dimensional differences it would have made to the truck. To do any extensive mods like that, I actually would have had to have it reregistered under a new category plate. Which here, the bigger the car, the more $$$$ they charge. At any rate, hope your vehicle search goes well!

Welcome to the DTR. Im in Japan too, well Okinawa. Im from east Tx, what part are you from? I wish you were looking for a 03 6speed 4x4 cause I got one in Tyler Tx.
Thank you for the welcome mrlightnin. I'm from Corpus, & headed there temporarily to my parents while DH out processes and job searches (I do leatherwork/holsters). So the dog and I get to vacation for a little bit while he does his thing. Yeah, I gotta go with the auto. While I say I'm perfectly smooth and safe driving a stick with one good arm, hubby is all "suburban" about it

Last edited by Shorts; 01-21-2009 at 04:41 AM. Reason: added more
Old 01-21-2009, 04:32 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

I'm not actually looking, I'm only here for 6 months... I have a truck back in the states that the wife is having fun driving for me while I'm gone.

Yep... I'm the new guy... I have been getting up at 3
Old 01-21-2009, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by madhat
I'm not actually looking, I'm only here for 6 months... I have a truck back in the states that the wife is having fun driving for me while I'm gone.

Yep... I'm the new guy... I have been getting up at 3

Ahh, deployed. Well, that cuts out a lot of that setting up stuff! As for the truck, it's a good thing that it's being looked after, no matter how much tread she burns off the tires on the weekends
Old 01-21-2009, 04:40 AM

Here is what we got. I wanted a toyota hilux diesel but with the trucks back home $ is tight.

Here is one of our beighbors trucks
Old 01-21-2009, 04:47 AM

Nice. You guys are totally blending. Up here, we got old cars. I think my '96 is one of the newest things on base.

Love the neighbor's truck - that is sweet! Midway in our stay here I started thinking about those little flatbed trucks because I see all the mama-sans and papa-sans driving them everywhere. They are tough!

I too wanted a Hilux diesel truck, but the only Hiluxs on base were the COs trucks. To get one shipped up here from further south would have been close to 10k which was way over what we needed to spend.

I couldn't find any trucks to save my life so I went with a SUV. Figured the dog wouldn't mine being inside and on carpet in this cold weather.

This is/was mine:

DH went through 3 vehicles, a Hilux Surf (gasser), Daihatsu Rocky and this oldball car, the Corsa or something. lol Not much selection around the mid-500s lol
Old 01-21-2009, 04:56 AM

We bought the white nissan but a woman that worked with my wife pcs'ed and gave us the suzuki its a 12v but only a 3 cyl gasser.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by 98whitelightnin
We bought the white nissan but a woman that worked with my wife pcs'ed and gave us the suzuki its a 12v but only a 3 cyl gasser.

That's neat you guys got a hold of an A plate. 3cyl? We joked our 1.6l Rocky was squirrel powered.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:04 AM

Ya 3cyl, its a little runner. I think the road tax is like $30.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by 98whitelightnin
Ya 3cyl, its a little runner. I think the road tax is like $30.
That's pretty good. Almost as good as ours bike, those ran $10 each. But the trucks were a bit more.

I think that I'm most amazed by out here is the RPM a lot of these vehicles run at.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:18 AM

Ya, the suzuki is 3speed auto with no OD and at 60kilometers its about 3k rpm. 60 is the top speed on this island.

Quick Reply: Hi folks