Introductions / New People If you're new to the site, feel free to introduce yourself here. Welcome!

Potential New Face!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Potential New Face!

Hey Guys,

So, in the next month there is good potential I could be purchasing a 2007 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega Cab 4wd w/6.7L Cummins and 6spd MTX.

All I know is that it has 146k miles on it.

I'm going to look at the vehicle in the next few weeks, so if anyone has any suggestions as to what I should ask, look for, listen for, ect. please let me know!

I'll be looking over the forums to try and find info as well. I've been reading lots of info on the deletes, but there is a possibility the engine might come with a lifetime warranty, and if that's the case do I risk deleting things? or risk the problems that come with leaving the EPA crap?

So many questions learning as fast as I can tho!

Thanks everyone!

- Mike
Old 01-26-2017, 02:02 AM
Vendor

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your purchase! You've came to the right place - this forum is a great resource with tons of useful information.

Feel free to ask any questions if needed and don't forget to post up some pics for us when your new Ram is home.
Old 01-26-2017, 08:23 AM

Thanks! I've actually had the truck for almost two weeks now, but no one responded so I didn't think anyone would care! lol

The truck is a 2007 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega Cab Laramie with 4WD, 6.7L and 6spd Manual. It has 146k miles on it. According to CarFax it spent about half it's life in Ontario, and half in Michigan. I was expecting lots of salt damage.

The dealer who took it in on a trade did a surprising amount of work to the truck to make it look very good. They sent it to a body shop that cut out pretty much all the rust on the body and replaced it with brand new metal, and paint. I was shocked how good the truck looked when I saw it in person the first time.

It's obviously not perfect though. There is a short list of issues I've been working on.

- Part of the frame has a rust hole in it...not a ton I can do I don't think, but I do plan on using fluid film on the under side for the rest of the time that I own it, re-touching every fall before winter.

- The power steering and brakes make a whole bunch of noise, especially the colder it gets. Seriously thinking about replacing the fluid with full synthetic, but I'm gonna take it to the dealer and have them look at it first in case something is going bad. I bought a 60 month 100,000 warranty that covers almost everything on the truck, and dang it I'm gonna get my money back if I can! Haha

- Drivers heated seat only works half the time. Other half it shows one of the blinking errors, I think open circuit? It's the top light blinking. Anyway, don't really feel like getting into it right now, not a huge deal.

- The guy before me did all the delete work (Thank God!) otherwise I would have held back some money to do it. Unfortunately he didn't hand over the tuner, so I've got a 5 point switch installed on it and I have no idea what it does. The dealer had a diesel mechanic do some tuning on it and they are supposed to be getting back to me with exactly what was done, what tune(s) we're put in it, or whatnot. I switched the switch between all five settings while at idle and didn't notice any difference but....who knows what that means. I called the company that builds the switch, and they said if there are different tunes, some light should blink the number of times for which setting you select. I didn't see any light blinking when I switched it, nor could I even find a light to observe so....still in the dark on this one, but the truck seems to run fine as far as I can tell!

- In an attempt to reduce the drone from the exhaust at highway speeds, me and a buddy started lining some of the interior with the Frost King duct insulation. We were successful with the doors, but the floor was a pain. The front seats came out easy, but the rear seat bolts were EXTREMELY difficult to turn. Like, 4 foot pipe on your ratchet and still difficult type of difficult. We got one out, then we broke the head off another and decided to call it quits on that. We pulled back the carpet up front and tried to stuff the material as far back as we could under the carpet. We then took apart the rear wall of the cab and put material back there and on the C pillars. Another day we'll do the ceiling of the cab. It seems to help a bit with the noise.

- Of course I have the problem with the wires in the rear doors, but, I've got the hook up with some new terminals as well as some high flex wire, and once it warms up a bit I'll go in and replace a good length of the wire along with terminals.

And that's pretty much it I believe! It's a great truck, love driving it so far. Suspension is a bit rough at times but hey, what do you expect from a 2500

Glad to be on the forums, lots of good stuff on here! Thanks for the support!

- Mike