Introductions / New People If you're new to the site, feel free to introduce yourself here. Welcome!

Girls like diesels too!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 03:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by madhat
Welcome to the DTR...

I was just in your neck of the woods passing through on my way to Japan...

What kind of truck do you want? Anything with a 5.9 is best these days...

Let us know what you need.

mad
Elmendorf AFB?? Brother
Old 01-24-2009, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Cummins Freak
welcome, yeah diesels rock. your disabled big deal that just means you get to build one sweet auto and dont have to fight with what tranny to buy hahahaha

ps. you also can get one of those sweet turning handles that mount to your steering wheel hells yeah. welcome welcome always sweet to see a girl interested. what kind of diesel you looking at what years cause now is a great time to buy on and 12v's rock...just my 0.02 cents
Well, there is a slight chance that I could get into a manual transmission but it would take some creativity. I don't need a steering ball because my disability is a result of having my right leg amputated above the knee in 2004. I drive an auto and use my left leg for throttle and brake. If I could figure some way of operating a clutch, I could re-take my license to prove I can safely drive a standard.
Old 01-24-2009, 04:01 PM

Welcome to this forum!! You'll find most of all the info. you'll ever need to know from this site. these ppl are very knowledgeable, real life experience. I've only been into diesels since Mar. '08 and have gained alot and still learning.

I have a bum ankle and can't drive any thing that requires the use of it on a consistant basis.

Just so you know, any mods done to your future truck, it'll put a strain on your auto. trans. The factory power is about all it can take. There are a few that are getting away with it, but.....
Old 01-24-2009, 04:10 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Nah, it was a commercial AP. Anchorage?
Old 01-24-2009, 04:16 PM

welcome to the site, as stated alot of info on here.

Originally Posted by Alaska Sunrise
Well, there is a slight chance that I could get into a manual transmission but it would take some creativity. I don't need a steering ball because my disability is a result of having my right leg amputated above the knee in 2004. I drive an auto and use my left leg for throttle and brake. If I could figure some way of operating a clutch, I could re-take my license to prove I can safely drive a standard.
only thing i could think of is hand controls for throttle/brake and use your left leg for the clutch the only thing about that is when shifting no hands would be on the steering wheel...
Old 01-24-2009, 11:14 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Nah man, the joy of a hydraulically actuated clutch is... you can have a hand control for it anywhere you like.

Don't ask how I know, but rest assured that I have built things along these lines before, and they work just fine.

Should the OP require more info on this, PM me and I'll fill you in on the details of said setup.

Welcome to DTR.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the DTR A.S.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:16 AM

OK well then get to showing them that a girl with one leg can row gears with the best of them. I hope you figure it out even if you dont get a stick. I think it would be cool just to show them that your disability dont mean squat. you go girl LOL
Old 01-25-2009, 02:55 AM

Well, you still have your left leg. That means you can use the clutch still. Throttle could be rigged up on some sort of hand control mounted on the shifter. Im sure there must be some company out there that can rig up something like that.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:34 AM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by GasganoFJ60
Well, you still have your left leg. That means you can use the clutch still. Throttle could be rigged up on some sort of hand control mounted on the shifter. Im sure there must be some company out there that can rig up something like that.
Especially since these trucks are fly by wire anyway. No actual throttle cable should make it easy to adapt........ I think.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:40 PM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AS, welcome.

I hope you find a truck that works for you. I am also of the "tripod" type I lost the use of my left arm in an auto accident years ago due to a broken neck. I hear you on needing an auto.

But I also wanted to share about my motorcycle riding. About 2wks into my husband buying a motorcycle, I got bored riding on the back. So, with the good ol' internet and a buncha scheming and trial, error and error and finally viola, I got my bike where I needed it so I could ride with one hand.

I put the brake lever over the clutch and tapped the left gear switches for the right side.

Anyhow, the guys here mentioned hand controls, I think that'd be sweet to put the clutch up on the wheel. It's pretty easy to control and once you get the skill, its all fine tuning. Another option that bikes use is the push button gear shifter, like Pingel or Klictronic. Instead of a lever, it uses an air piston and servo(IIRC). I know bikes are different from trucks, but it's the concepts that I wanted to talk about.

Good luck on the truck shopping! I've got my loan on the way and I am looking too!

Old 01-27-2009, 09:21 PM

welcome to the site! glad to see a girl interested in diesel haha! all my friends make fun of my 1st gen but you just cant beat a diesel! go with the 5.9 12v.
you will learn a lot from this site they have helped me multiple time.

hope to see you in a diesel some day
Old 01-30-2009, 02:43 AM

Welcome from an island to the South! (Vancouver)

Randy.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:22 AM

hello from switzerland.

welcome in this forum

chris
Old 01-30-2009, 06:00 AM
Mrs. missin on a mission & keeper of the can

Alaska and Shorts, there's nothin like seeing women in Cummins!
It's great when you go to the carwash and men come up to you and say you must be a good wife for washin your husbands truck.All I say is look at the front plate, it says "Mama's Cummins"
Seein their faces are Priceless.

Cin