HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Ugent intermittent starting

Old 07-18-2016, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ugent intermittent starting

Urgent: intermittent startig issues
Hi im currently on vacation in montana (i need to leave today, and cant be getting stranded in central idaho)and my truck has developed an intermitent starting issue.

I turn the key and it doesnt crank. The battery is good the starter is less than 3 years old, and all grounds are lookin good. If i put the key to on and jump the starter it seems to start fine.

I have had the clutch safety switch thin bypassed for a few years as it has left me stranded in the past.

My guess is its the relay or the keyswitch, could anyone please help me diagnose this as i am not great with electrical.

Thanks
Old 07-19-2016, 07:50 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by qmikep
Urgent: intermittent startig issues
Hi im currently on vacation in montana (i need to leave today, and cant be getting stranded in central idaho)and my truck has developed an intermitent starting issue.

I turn the key and it doesnt crank. The battery is good the starter is less than 3 years old, and all grounds are lookin good. If i put the key to on and jump the starter it seems to start fine.

I have had the clutch safety switch thin bypassed for a few years as it has left me stranded in the past.

My guess is its the relay or the keyswitch, could anyone please help me diagnose this as i am not great with electrical.

Thanks
Ok, so we can pretty well rule out battery/starter. Looking at the diagram below, I would the next time it won't start, use a 12V power lead to manually bring in the starter relay. If it starts, check to see if 12V is applied when you have the switch in start, if it doesn't start, replace the relay.

Ugent intermittent starting-91-engine-bay-wiring.jpg