HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Truck died...no crank snowing too!

Old 12-15-2009, 11:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck died...no crank snowing too!

Ok guys I was driving down the road tonight and my truck completely died. When it happened I smelt electrical wire smell, there were no lights, radio went out, no hvac, and no hazard lights, No horn got it to the side of the road and it wouldn't turn over at all.

Here's what I do have interior lights power mirrors and dash lights. I removed the edge wiring and fog light jumper wire. Of course it's dark and I can't see does anyone have any thoughts that could help me out? ThAnks.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:23 PM
DTR's Cow Boss

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Um what part of Oregon you shang hied in? let me know if you need a hand if I am close. Not a third gen guy but been on this board and lernt lots over the last 10yrs I would look to make sure you don't have all your wires wrapped up in the fan and another spot that was famous for wire shorts was the main wire harness ran under the valve cover and would run and short things out.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:24 PM
Always a day late, and a dollar short.

Check all the fuses, especially the one inside the yellow case (cuts power to everything, except the ECM when they ship vehicles).
Old 12-15-2009, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by DodgeCowboy
Um what part of Oregon you shang hied in? let me know if you need a hand if I am close. Not a third gen guy but been on this board and lernt lots over the last 10yrs I would look to make sure you don't have all your wires wrapped up in the fan and another spot that was famous for wire shorts was the main wire harness ran under the valve cover and would run and short things out.
Wow, your closer than you might think. I am doa in The Dalles. Truck coasted to precision auto. If I can't get it fixed I will tow it out to Cody and see what he says.

Funny that were neighbors, I'm going to build down on south valley soon. New to the area, I've probably seen you on the road. Thanks for your offer.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:36 PM

There is a wire that has been know to short out by rubbing on one of the lines going to the A/C compressor.

Heres the link to the article: https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ted+wire+A%2FC

Worth a look.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:50 PM
DTR's Cow Boss

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't let them know at precision that your taking it to Cody after wards because Cody used to work there before he opened his own shop how the heck did you make it though all the dang construction coasting Ya I run a red dodge black tinted windows black wheels usually towing a blue n white stock trailer.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by DodgeCowboy
Don't let them know at precision that your taking it to Cody after wards because Cody used to work there before he opened his own shop how the heck did you make it though all the dang construction coasting Ya I run a red dodge black tinted windows black wheels usually towing a blue n white stock trailer.
Made it by the hair of my chin. Thx for the info on Cody working at precision. Hopefully I can figure out in the am!
Old 12-16-2009, 12:28 PM

On the rollback as we speak! Definite burnt wire smell that I am fairly certain is coming from the fuse block area.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by psd1
On the rollback as we speak! Definite burnt wire smell that I am fairly certain is coming from the fuse block area.
Well guys, there was a fuse blown (trailer brake light) and now the thing will crank, but no start. The fuel pump isnt huming either. Looks like it may be tomorrow before it gets looked at again. I recently had a new steering column and HVAC box put in...thinking that maybe the wires got rubbed thru due to that. Guess we will see.