HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

transfer case leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2003, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
transfer case leak

Have an output shaft leak. Is it any big deal changing this seal? Do I need any special tools. Dripping about a saucer size spot daily. Is it possible that it is overfilled? Any ideas?
Old 10-03-2003, 08:44 PM

Re:transfer case leak

Not a big deal. 8mm wrench and 3 inch piece of pipe (or a big socket would work) to drift in the new seal.

Will have to drain the t-case and remove the drive shaft.

Took me about an hour including beer!

Oh and I think the seal was maybe $15.00
Old 10-04-2003, 08:14 PM

I changed the seal this morning. Was able to pry out with screwdriver. Did not drain t-case, but was ready if it decided to drench me. Only 2 or 3 oz. came out. Used a 3" piece of pvc pipe to seat the new seal. I called all over town to find the seal. Napa Auto parts was the only one besides Chysler ($47.00)that had it. It came to about what you aid...$15.00.
The kicker is it is still leaking. Is there another seal in the end of the transfer case. I have heard of a bushing. A wasted effort indeed. I think I am going to need to pull the Output part of the t-case and investigate. Also did some offroading today. Loaded up with firewood. 4-low was ingaged as I was climbing a rocky hill of moderate incline. My transfer case jumped out of 4-low. Hope I do not have another problem lurking. It did not sound to good! Any ideas?
Old 10-05-2003, 03:01 PM

Still leaking? From around the seal area?
Old 10-05-2003, 06:38 PM

It appears to leaking around the seal again. Hope I did not damage when stuck the yoke in. Leaks can be decieving, but it does appear thats where it is coming from. Very disappointing to say the least. Not a bad job but really don't want to do it again.
Old 10-06-2003, 10:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of shape is your yoke in? Is there a groove worn in it where the seal lip rides? If there is it can tear up a new seal in no time. If you can, try putting the seal in at a different spot so the lip doesn't ride in the groove. I had to do this with a front axle seal that wouldn't last. Make sure you grease the seal lip good before you put the driveshaft in. Use some RTV around the outside of the seal as well. If it still leaks you may be looking into a new yoke. Good luck.
Old 10-07-2003, 07:29 AM

Thanks Berner for your input. I think what I will try is the RTV. My yoke was in great shape. I use a scotch guard pad to clean it before I inserted it into the transfer case. I also failed to grease the seal before I inserted. I spoke with my Transmission guy and he said there is a bushing that probably needs replace in the tail section of the t-case. He said if I pulled the tail-in of the t-case and brought it to him he would do it for parts. He said there is a special tool that will be very difficult for me, if I don't have. Don't you get tired of those special tools? Anyway, clean and RTV, then see where that gets me. Wish me luck! I just hate those battles with my truck.

Blh1960