HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Trans Jumping Up & Down

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trans Jumping Up & Down

This is my first posting and this problem may be posted somewhere else with the solution but I am in a tight spot. I am leaving to go out of town at the end of next week pulling a camper and have an issue with the transmission. When I am pulling up an incline running about 45-50mph, it will shift back and forth between 3 & 4 gear until I either slow down or speed up. Any thoughts on what is causing this? Is this a serious problem or one I can address after my trip? Thanks for your help in advance.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:39 AM

Welcome to the site , in order to help you have to help us .
What do you have , look at others posting , when you register , you need to fill in the details on your truck , also many don't , but putting your location in , may bring a member out of the woodwork , to help .
There could be several issues here , hopefully the easy one is it .
That is the speed that the lockup torque converter will lock in , unless your pulling hard , then later .
What may be happening is that around that speed , it just goes on & off , if it stays locked up at steady speeds over 55 mph , with out having to get into the throttle , to go up hill , but just cruising , then that may be it .
If the conditions of the road / speed ect. have it going in & out , then there should be a button on the dash , that locks out the OD .
Do a search on towing with OD , to get the trans to last longer .
Keep the RPMs above about 1,600-1,700 RPMs , less is lugging , not good for eng. or trans. , high RPMs are relative to any mods , fuel cut out will limit high RPMs .
Old 05-14-2009, 12:18 PM

Might try a search on this BB using the words, "transmission hunting". You'll find much information such as cleaning ground wires. I had a similar problem last year and it required removing some wires to clean connections and I did wrap the wire going (I think)to the pass. battery with alum. foil. You can purchase a noise filter to do the same thing.

Welcome, and hope you find the solution quickly with an easy fix.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you're talking about the torque converter locking/unlocking it may be as simple as one of the signal wires laying across the top of the alternator. I had the same problem on my truck. Took a look under the hood and could see the spot where the wire was rubbing. Lifted it up, reshaped it and went on down the road with no more issue at all. That was certainly easier than the other options I was looking at. Good luck.
Old 05-18-2009, 04:53 PM

To all who responded - thanks for all your help and quick replies. Especially to you ado2b1 - I did just what you sugguested and the problem is solved. Hope I can help you in the future.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad to help, nothing like a simple fix. Definately take the time to put in the signature info and whatever else. Hope your trip is woe free.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:38 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Also cleaning all of the battery posts, and cable ends will sometimes help.

Mine was 'Hunting" a few times again last weekend,........cleaned the posts, all's well......